#808843 by SFO-Marc
25 Apr 2012, 01:12
Hi All,

I am coming to the UK with my newly unlocked iPhone 3GS and am looking for the best SIM only deal for calls, texts and some data (not huge amount but would like to be able to use Google Maps and check basic email etc).

I would be looking for something that was pay as you go so I wasn't tied to a contract but I can leave the phone with my parents ion London if there is some need to make a call every 90-days to keep it active or something.

Anyone have any suggestions on good ones to look at for this type of scenario?

Thanks
SFO-Brit
#808846 by stevebrass
25 Apr 2012, 01:50
SFO-Marc wrote:Hi All,

I am coming to the UK with my newly unlocked iPhone 3GS and am looking for the best SIM only deal for calls, texts and some data (not huge amount but would like to be able to use Google Maps and check basic email etc).

I would be looking for something that was pay as you go so I wasn't tied to a contract but I can leave the phone with my parents ion London if there is some need to make a call every 90-days to keep it active or something.

Anyone have any suggestions on good ones to look at for this type of scenario?

Thanks
SFO-Brit

Try tescomobile.
#808847 by mitchja
25 Apr 2012, 03:51
As I'm on T-Mobile UK, I'd recommend them, 2G and 3G coverage is fantastic, especially now they share both 2G and 3G with Orange UK now.

Although I've never tried Tesco Mobile, the only thing I'd say about them is that they use the O2 network which has the lowest 3G coverage of all the networks here, especially in rural areas (obviously it depends on where you are going to be using your iPhone though)

giffgaff are supposed to be cheap as well, but again, they use the O2 network. They're also the only UK mobile network that doesn't charge anything to dial Freephone numbers.

Visual voicemail will not work with any UK PAYG network (that only works on O2 and even then, you have to be on pay monthly to get visual voicemail). You just get standard voicemail instead.
#808856 by Sealink
25 Apr 2012, 08:09
I have been burnt with data limits before so I swear by 3Mobile.

Unlimited data and thousands of texts and hundreds of minutes for £15. Ideal for uploading those pics to Flickr or wherever as you take them!

GiffGaff would be my second choice. I can send you a link as I think you get some extras if it's via recommendation.
#808866 by sky0000547
25 Apr 2012, 09:44
I would say GiffGaff too. They run on the O2 network and it's literally pay as you go or you can convert your PAYG credit for 30 days unlimited SMS, unlimited data and 250+ inclusive minutes (depending on which tarriff selected). No contract to sign and the 30 days can keep rolling.
#808917 by SFO-Marc
25 Apr 2012, 19:01
Thanks for the tips and thanks mitchja for letting me know about visual VM.

I have a cheap UK PAYG regular phone now with O2 that my parents keep active by making a call every 60-days or whatever and it would be nice to keep the number if possible. Am I right that I can port that over if I change carriers?
#808922 by Sealink
25 Apr 2012, 19:27
SFO-Marc wrote:Thanks for the tips and thanks mitchja for letting me know about visual VM.

I have a cheap UK PAYG regular phone now with O2 that my parents keep active by making a call every 60-days or whatever and it would be nice to keep the number if possible. Am I right that I can port that over if I change carriers?

Yes it usually takes several days.
#808924 by SFO-Marc
25 Apr 2012, 19:51
Giff Gaff looks like a good option.

Once I return to the US does the phone number stay active forever as long as there's something in the account or do I need to make sure that some activity happens every so often?
#809100 by sky0000547
27 Apr 2012, 15:11
SFO-Marc wrote:Once I return to the US does the phone number stay active forever as long as there's something in the account or do I need to make sure that some activity happens every so often?

I think the number needs to either make or receive a call or SMS within a six month period to keep the number active.
#811253 by buns
19 May 2012, 21:05
Has anybody used a UK Virgin Mobile SIM in an unblocked I Phone.

I am asking as an unlocked 3GS may be an ideal Birthday present for someone ;)

buns
#811262 by mitchja
19 May 2012, 22:00
Yes, I used to be a Virgin Mobile UK customer using my iPhone 3GS and 4.

Everything worked perfectly.

Virgin are quite happy for anyone to use iPhones with them either on PAYG or pay monthly SIM only (even though they are not an official UK carrier for the iPhone).

There are also rumours that they are now even providing microSIM cards for use in the unlocked iPhone 4 or 4S.
#811263 by buns
19 May 2012, 22:12
mitchja wrote:Yes, I used to be a Virgin Mobile UK customer using my iPhone 3GS and 4.

Virgin are quite happy for anyone to use iPhones with them either on PAYG or pay monthly SIM only (even though they are not an official UK carrier for the iPhone).

There are also rumours that they are now even providing microSIM cards for use in the unlocked iPhone 4 or 4S.

James
Ace, Thank You oo) oo)

A certain person will be surprised on her Birthday ;)

buns
#811420 by MarkedMan
21 May 2012, 03:31
buns wrote:
mitchja wrote:Yes, I used to be a Virgin Mobile UK customer using my iPhone 3GS and 4.

James
Ace, Thank You oo) oo)

A certain person will be surprised on her Birthday ;)

buns

I've had my same Virgin Mobile SIM card for 10 years; when I switched from AT&T to Verizon last November, they unlocked my new 4S for all international carriers. I bought a SIM cutter for 3 bucks, cut my 10 year old card and slotted it in. It's worked perfectly.
Virgin Atlantic