#814045 by Wi25
16 Jun 2012, 22:18
Help needed. To prevent me from making assumptions and big mistakes I am hoping someone can help me with my queries.

I am travelling to Orlando and I am taking several gadgets with me - but will they work as I assume.

1. Tom Tom One. I have purchased the American Maps. I have no experience driving abroad. I am assuming the directions will be correct for America. For example, it will adjust for the correct side of the road.

2. IPod and similar devices with USB leads. Will I have to take my 3 pin adapter and plug it into a 2 pin adapter for the states, or will a direct US adapter (2 pin) with a USB socket be sufficient. Assuming I purchase one out there. Could I also charge my phones using the same principle?

3. Would it be possible to charge/power an IPad on the plane. I know it is possible for a laptop.

Thanks
#814055 by Monkey789
16 Jun 2012, 23:03
Wi25 wrote:1. Tom Tom One. I have purchased the American Maps. I have no experience driving abroad. I am assuming the directions will be correct for America. For example, it will adjust for the correct side of the road.

We used our TomTom after purchasing the American maps and it worked fine and adjusted accordingly. It worked perfectly for us.

We had to load the maps onto the device which took the European maps off and installed the American maps. When we got back we just had to install the European maps back on the device which had been saved onto our hard drive. The American maps were now on our hard drive for next time.
#814059 by Fordie
16 Jun 2012, 23:45
Wi25 wrote:Help needed. To prevent me from making assumptions and big mistakes I am hoping someone can help me with my queries.

I am travelling to Orlando and I am taking several gadgets with me - but will they work as I assume.

1. Tom Tom One. I have purchased the American Maps. I have no experience driving abroad. I am assuming the directions will be correct for America. For example, it will adjust for the correct side of the road.

2. IPod and similar devices with USB leads. Will I have to take my 3 pin adapter and plug it into a 2 pin adapter for the states, or will a direct US adapter (2 pin) with a USB socket be sufficient. Assuming I purchase one out there. Could I also charge my phones using the same principle?

3. Would it be possible to charge/power an IPad on the plane. I know it is possible for a laptop.

Thanks

Hello

I bought a Tom Tom and purchased the USA maps and had no issues at all with it, after a little drive around you will hardly be using it but it's great to have!

I would say buy the adapter plugs for uk to USA plugs and take your own charger, I did this and it worked perfectly! I used it to charge my iPhone which was fine.

And I think on the new a330 plane they have a USB slot for use on charging items but I took my fully charged iPad and it still had good battery after the flight to orlando.
#814061 by buns
17 Jun 2012, 05:20
Hi Wi25

I will be the first to admit that I am not a techno geek, but do have plenty of experience of taking gadgets to Orlando ;)

Yes, I use a 3 pin to 2 pin socket adapter for charging up the camera and for the Apple products (which are many :| ) I have acquired the US plugs from a variety of sources which plug in and charge up the devices.

Even if you are travelling on the newest of planes or in Upper, any sockets that may be available on the aircraft merely maintain the battery and do not charge up devices. Imagine the impact of 400 + folks trying to re-charge their I Pods on the plane!!

One last piece of advice; if you are using a smartphone, do turn off roaming as I have encountered some horror stories where some has used a mapping feature and found it has cost hundreds of pounds :0

buns
#814062 by Wi25
17 Jun 2012, 06:26
Thanks one and all.

Pleased with Tom Tom advice. I just had a nagging doubt.

Normally I only take a small travel kettle and a Uk to US adapter. But with so many items this year, particularly chargers, I know i will have a logistical nightmare charging (trying to think of the best option for multi charging and using just US plugs where possible)

Good news about the plug in option on the plane. Worst nightmare is a powerless IPad, I would be forced to watch films then :)

Thanks for the roaming advice, that is definitely useful.

Keith
#814103 by Fordie
17 Jun 2012, 19:14
Wi25 wrote:Thanks one and all.

Pleased with Tom Tom advice. I just had a nagging doubt.

Normally I only take a small travel kettle and a Uk to US adapter. But with so many items this year, particularly chargers, I know i will have a logistical nightmare charging (trying to think of the best option for multi charging and using just US plugs where possible)

Good news about the plug in option on the plane. Worst nightmare is a powerless IPad, I would be forced to watch films then :)

Thanks for the roaming advice, that is definitely useful.

Keith

I'm glad to be of some use! I did buy a double plug uk to USA adapter, think it was from boots or superdrug that's was good but I also had a few single adapters as there is usually a few plugs in the rooms depending on the hotel. Maybe go to a Walmart and see if they have some kind of plug extension that gives you 4 sockets opposed to the usual 2?

Yes if you get the great new plane you lucky enough to get the USB plug. But I think your iPad will be fine.

At least you have asked v flyer which has amazing help. No matter your question theres always someone to help!

Cheers

Fordie
#814104 by PeterStansfield
17 Jun 2012, 19:20
The way I do it is to always travel with a 4 or 6 (depending how long I'm going for) way UK plugboard (UK plug and UK sockets), which you can buy at B&Q type places for around £3. Then you only need ONE UK-US adapter, and you've got 4 (or 6) working sockets to plug your UK toys into

Just like taking a little bit of England with you....

Peter
#814110 by jodash
17 Jun 2012, 20:50
I was under the impression that you can plug Ipad/Ipod to watch and listen but not to charge
#814112 by tontybear
17 Jun 2012, 21:14
jodash wrote:I was under the impression that you can plug Ipad/Ipod to watch and listen but not to charge

That was my understanding too - enough to operate Ipad/pod or a laptop but not enough to charge it.

Can one of our frequent fruit based device owners flyers clarify?
#814116 by mitchja
17 Jun 2012, 21:29
It depends on which IFE you get.

You can get the Empower adapters that do charge your iPod/iPhone/iPad etc which are on V:Port A/C.

I've never used it yet but with Jam don't you need a special IFE cable (which only VS or Apple US sell). According to the Apple website these do charge and power your device.

There is nothing to stop you using the ordinary power socket though is there (which I believe is a standard UK 3 pin/US 2 pin power socket) to charge Apple devices on Jam A/C?
#814119 by jodash
17 Jun 2012, 21:41
I did read in another forum about a kingston lead that you could use
#814649 by Wi25
23 Jun 2012, 05:05
@Peter. Isn't it amazing how the most common sense option is overlooked when traveling. I didn't even give the multi plug option a thought - am I stupid or what. That is total genius :)
Virgin Atlantic