#820246 by catsilversword
17 Aug 2012, 18:51
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can use a phone card with a mobile in the US? You know, one of those ones you can buy to use with a landline.... I'm thinking it probably won't work that way with a mobile, but wonder if anyone knows? Have just found out there's no landline where we're staying,which is surprising. It isn't something we ever use, but I don't much like the idea of being out of touch if there's an emergency and using a cell is extortionate! Any help would be very gratefully received!
#820247 by buns
17 Aug 2012, 18:54
I have used a US Virgin Mobile on a "pay as you go basis" for a number of years now

I do recall others on V Flyer have used sim cards from Sprint

Do remember your UK Phone needs to be tri band

buns
#820248 by catsilversword
17 Aug 2012, 18:59
It is tri, actually,I think it's quad band, but it's a UK based Virgin phone which is why I wondered if a phone card will work. I'm also wondering if it's worth getting a cheap pay as you go US phone, but can you get one of these if you have a UK address and do you have to top them up at regular intervals?
#820250 by buns
17 Aug 2012, 19:06
catsilversword wrote:It is tri, actually,I think it's quad band, but it's a UK based Virgin phone which is why I wondered if a phone card will work. I'm also wondering if it's worth getting a cheap pay as you go US phone, but can you get one of these if you have a UK address and do you have to top them up at regular intervals?

You can just walk into a number of drug stores (like Walgreens) and pick one up for around $10

I have found using my US Virgin Mobile that calling the UK is around 25 cents a minute and of course you don't pay to receive calls y)

buns
#820252 by catsilversword
17 Aug 2012, 19:21
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll buy a cheap one for US use only. Can I ask again though - will there be a problem doing this, as I don't live in the US??? Only ask this as I've bought stuff before and there have been problems when they ask about my permanent address, which is in the UK!
#820315 by buns
18 Aug 2012, 10:12
catsilversword wrote:Thanks for your pm buns - I did try to thanks you via email, but got a message to say it couldn't be delivered :(

y) y)

Appreciate that - those who know me will tell you IT has never been my strong point :|

buns
Virgin Atlantic