#824679 by DragonLady
22 Sep 2012, 17:18
Well, as of this afternoon Dragonlady ( the IT idiot) is now the proud owner of a nice shiny iphone 5 :D .
My only grizzle ( so far) is that due to the changed connector it won't currently fit my Bose soundocks/ car charger / spare leads etc.
Anyone else got/ ordered one yet :) ?
DL
#824681 by buns
22 Sep 2012, 17:23
DL

Congrats on being one of the first :D :D

From what I have seen, this is the first device from Apple using this connector and other devices from them will follow - the cost of adapters is currently high, but will no doubt come down in time

I also believe that a different SIM Card is necessary - is that true???

buns
#824682 by tontybear
22 Sep 2012, 17:32
Did it come with a free map?

I know some other v-flyers why were visiting various apple stores today.
#824683 by DragonLady
22 Sep 2012, 17:34
buns wrote:DL

Congrats on being one of the first :D :D

From what I have seen, this is the first device from Apple using this connector and other devices from them will follow - the cost of adapters is currently high, but will no doubt come down in time

I also believe that a different SIM Card is necessary - is that true???

buns

It wasn't really planned. Having seen the lengthy queues at Apple stores yesterday I rang my local 02 store ( my provider) to enquire about stock.
They had what I wanted ( one :0 ) a 32GB in white, so I hot footed it down pronto and bingo :D .
The card is a nano sim but they ported my number over there and then.
DL
#824685 by DocRo
22 Sep 2012, 17:40
Got mine yesterday and agree the new connector is a pain but I guess the other was around for a longtime.
The reverse engineers have been at work and cheaper connectors are available on eBay. I haven't ordered any yet but do have a couple of data/charging USB cables on the way.
I am enjoying the phone - it feels and looks good and apps have been flying so far.
I am new to Siri and find it a very useful tool for initiating calls and text messages although it did try to send me to "deflower.com" rather than Vflyer.com. Yikes!
#824689 by mitchja
22 Sep 2012, 18:06
Mine is sat at home waiting for me. Had a play in the Chicago Apple store to see me thur till Tues though :)

iOS 6 is good too, even on the iPhone 4 (which I thought might not work very well)

My next task will be getting a nanoSIM out of T-Mobile once I get home (who are also the only bl**dy network who charge you for SIM card replacements at £10.21, sure it cost then pennies to produce them grrrrr)

Also apparently VS boarding passes are coming to Passbook shortly too :)
#824690 by Hull
22 Sep 2012, 18:25
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon and it feels much nicer than the iPhone 4 but I will have to buy a new TomTom car kit and it will not fit on my Dab radio either.

Currently only LH, UA and AA are available on Passbook.
#824707 by Darren Wheeler
22 Sep 2012, 20:15
No 5 here, but iOS5 on a 4S works very well.

Lot of rubbish being spouted about the new mapping, as if it's the end of the world. Handy workaround.

Open Safari
Go to map.google.go.uk
Touch the 'Share' icon
Select 'Add to Home Screen'
There you have it. Google Maps on your front screen.
You still need an actove data connection via either wi-fi or mobile date. Apparently Google have submitted an App for approval.
#824709 by totallylost
22 Sep 2012, 21:04
Waiting for our providers to get some in, takes a little longer here in Guernsey, but hoping to avail myself of one when they become available here .
#824713 by art200380
22 Sep 2012, 21:17
Mine arrived yesterday, well I can tell it was signed for by our neighbour.

We're stuck in Barbados for another couple of days but can't wait to have a play on Tuesday morning.

VS077 Upper Class review to follow next week once home!
#824750 by PaulS
23 Sep 2012, 09:44
Got the Samsung Galaxy 3 and I have to say its brilliant.
#824760 by MrT
23 Sep 2012, 10:30
I was in a queue for 8 hours on Friday in Birmingham to get mine...mad!

Great phone and worthwhile upgrade from the 4, not sure if I would have bothered if I had the 4S before. Need to get some adapters! They didn't have them in stock at the store so tried to order online but not gonna spend £70 and I refuse to pay £5 for delivery!
#824764 by Pete
23 Sep 2012, 10:44
I did the queuing thing on Friday. although it seems I needn't have bothered since I could have walked into a Phones4U shop at any time any picked up an unlocked one with no wait. Still, that does give me a small sense of satisfaction given it was obvious the vast majority of the people around me in the queue were buying to resell on eBay rather than use themselves - hope they lose a lot of money for all the pushing and queue jumping they did v(

The phone itself is noticeably lighter and thiner than my iPhone 4. The camera is pretty good (bearing in mind I skipped the 4S, which apparently also had a much better camera than the 4), and the extra screen size has pros and cons.

The lack of Lightning Connector adaptors available from day one is a bit of a pain though. I only have the single cable that came with the phone to charge it, which is a step back when I'm used to being able to drop the phone on one of a number of docks dotted around the flat, and in particular the clock radio next to the bed. Think Apple really dropped the ball on that supply chain. I had a look at the eBay offerings, but they all seem to be pre-orders, so not sure, in reality, how much quicker they will deliver than Apple; And I seriously doubt their 30pin adaptors will have the A/D circuitry that the genuine Apple units have in order to allow analogue docks to work with the iPhone 5. The lack of a specific car kit is also a bit of an irritation - but these things will come, and probably with no lack of choice. Since the entire iPod/iPhone range is moving to Lightning, it's only a matter of time.

Thanks for the Google Maps tip Darren. I love the new Apple Maps features (where they're available), but there does seem to be very spotty coverage ranging from incredible 3D representation of the building I live in to a fuzzy low-res satellite image of where I used to live in Reading which can barely resolve the entire city, let alone the district of Lower Earley. The map view is better than the satellite image, to be fair, but being based on the TomTom maps, I'd hope so! Apple appear to be hiring map-experts like crazy right now, so hopefully these initial problems will get fixed over time. Given it's all server based, I suspect (just like Google Maps) we'll see gradual improvements over time. Problems aside, the technology that lets you swing around buildings in 3D is absolutely stunning, and if they can improve the coverage, it does make the Google offering a little out of date and it is kind of cool that Apple have just given me a free TomTom app built into Maps. Wonder how it copes when you're out of range of a data signal? Hmmm...
#824784 by tontybear
23 Sep 2012, 12:13
Darren Wheeler wrote:No 5 here, but iOS5 on a 4S works very well.

Lot of rubbish being spouted about the new mapping, as if it's the end of the world. Handy workaround.

Open Safari
Go to map.google.go.uk
Touch the 'Share' icon
Select 'Add to Home Screen'
There you have it. Google Maps on your front screen.
You still need an actove data connection via either wi-fi or mobile date. Apparently Google have submitted an App for approval.

Thanks for that Darren but it should be .CO and not .GO !

I'm probaly a bit of a luddite but all I need from a map is a nice clear layout and a wellsignposted route.

I really don't need 3d views or fly-throughs - afterall I'm walking on the ground not a pidgeon !
#824789 by joeyc
23 Sep 2012, 12:41
tontybear wrote:I'm probaly a bit of a luddite but all I need from a map is a nice clear layout and a wellsignposted route.

Agreed and google maps had it down... Apple Maps is incomplete and completely useless direction wise, as it gets itself lost and then asks you for help!!!!

tontybear wrote:I really don't need 3d views or fly-throughs - afterall I'm walking on the ground not a pidgeon !

Ha ha ha, true. But don't worry the 3d mapping is only any good qual over San Fran, everywhere else in the world does not matter yet. Cannot wait for the google maps app to be downloadable from the app store..

Got my iPhone 5 on Friday too, thank god for the business team .... means I took great pleasure on walking straight passed to the queue to the front.... ha ha ha. Sorry people who queued for hours :w

And yeh the iOS release is actually iOS 6 Darren ...... really wish I could head on back over to iOS 5 on my iPad and still have google maps.. :( My fault for not waiting..
#824809 by at240
23 Sep 2012, 14:31
I am going to skip the iPhone 5 and see what comes after it.

I must say, iOS6 has quickened up my iPhone 4S very noticeably. But the Apple map is truly poor -- I will be reverting back to google.
#824866 by buns
23 Sep 2012, 19:25
Just seen the US Samsung TV Ad - takes the mickey by portraying all those in the queues outside Apple Stores seeing all the things the Samsung already does :o) :o)

Went on for some time so must have cost Samsung a fortune :0 :0

buns
#824891 by DocRo
23 Sep 2012, 23:15
The thing that is not impressing me about my '5' so far is the battery life. Seems to be running down much faster than the 4 and as I am lacking a car charger so far have to recharge every night.
#824906 by mitchja
24 Sep 2012, 10:59
I've always had to charge my 4 up every night. The only time I don't need to do this is when I'm roaming with cellular data turned off.

Battery life always comes down to how you use your handset.
#824960 by DocRo
24 Sep 2012, 21:21
mitchja wrote:I've always had to charge my 4 up every night. The only time I don't need to do this is when I'm roaming with cellular data turned off.

Battery life always comes down to how you use your handset.

I agree James. Seems better today after a long trickle charge overnight and less inclination to ask Siri stupid questions.
#824964 by clarkeysntfc
24 Sep 2012, 22:19
We are holding off updating to ios6 until the issues are ironed out. Hearing a fair few complaints about maps, loss of functionality such as car connections and emails etc.
#825082 by DocRo
26 Sep 2012, 00:23
I've had no issues with car connection or mail. No great change from IOS5 to 6 in functionality as i use it mind you.
#825156 by Ian6969
26 Sep 2012, 16:35
Must admit I've not seen anything in the new Iphone to make me want to rush out and grab one. I'm due a new phone in a month and I must say I'll be sticking with Android
#825221 by DragonLady
27 Sep 2012, 08:39
Well, five days in and I'm loving the new handset ^) . I'll be even happier when I can plug it in to my soundocks and in the car though :D .
DL
#825268 by MarkedMan
27 Sep 2012, 17:44
iOS6 is less responsive to touch on the screen - when I try to answer the phone it won't slide sometimes, for a while at least. There are definitely some kinks, nothing that would make me downrev though.
Virgin Atlantic