#824732 by slinky09
23 Sep 2012, 07:06
Brill TR. But, how do you download programmes on the iPlayer on an iPad?
Last edited by Darren Wheeler on 23 Sep 2012, 10:39, edited 1 time in total. Reason: split from VS005 LHR-MIA 13 SEP 12 (Premium Economy) for clarity
#824734 by buns
23 Sep 2012, 07:16
slinky09 wrote:Brill TR. But, how do you download programmes on the iPlayer on an iPad?

Slinky

Thanks

Provided you have updated the BBC I Player App, when you select a programme you can either view there and then or select download and view it later. In fact this new App uses the "flight safe" I Pad logo

I think this will be a regular feature for me now - download a few programmes at home before going away knowing that they will only be available for 7 days

buns
#824735 by slinky09
23 Sep 2012, 07:30
Thanks Buns, now confused because Mr iPad tells me I have the latest iPlayer but I cannot find any click to download a programme ... then I searched the AppStore for iPlayer to see if I should redownload, and I can't find it in the AppStore ... odd!
#824740 by lobbers
23 Sep 2012, 08:20
slinky09 wrote:Thanks Buns, now confused because Mr iPad tells me I have the latest iPlayer but I cannot find any click to download a programme ... then I searched the AppStore for iPlayer to see if I should redownload, and I can't find it in the AppStore ... odd!

Slinky - could you be logged in to a US App Store account perhaps?

iPlayer can only be downloaded from the UK store - I had this same problem, when someone recently told me about the new download feature, but after switching accounts, I found it.
#824741 by Darren Wheeler
23 Sep 2012, 08:20
Just tried it here and works a treat.

Slinky. Here's how I did it (sorry if it egg-sucking) :)

Launch the iPlayer app
At the bottom of the screen, go to TV
Find the programme you want and tap to go to it
On the page somewhere will be a link called "download". Tap that
You'll then see "added to queue" appear and it should start to download with a progress bar.
At the bottom, tap the "Downloads" area and you should see it downloading and anything you have already done.

Just remember that you need to be connected to a network that is geo-located in the UK. Using mobile networks generally won't work.

If still stuck, I'll try to do some screen grabs later.
#824757 by slinky09
23 Sep 2012, 10:19
I do agree with you Mr Buns, South Beach is good to see, for a day or two. I stay at The Tides however, and that is a lovely hotel with fabulous rooms.

Trying not to hijack back to iPlayer, I see I only have v1 of the app so presume download is in a more recent release, however the Beeb must have pulled it from iTunes at the moment to upgrade for iOS6, 'cos it's simply not there!
#824771 by slinky09
23 Sep 2012, 10:57
Good plan Darren, now the doh! moment, I was signed into the US iStore so no wonder the iPlayer wan't there ... now downloaded and updated and I see it all fine!
#824774 by DocRo
23 Sep 2012, 11:13
Just did the same - switched to UK ITunes and now have last night's Doctor Who downloading on updated app.
Great
#824776 by buns
23 Sep 2012, 11:21
Good call Darren y) y)

The ability to have an I Pad and BBC i Player provides the antidote to not being satisfied with the IFE

Whatever happened in the days we all watched a large screen attached to the cabin bulkhead ;)

buns
#824777 by Darren Wheeler
23 Sep 2012, 11:23
buns wrote:Good call Darren y) y)

The ability to have an I Pad and BBC i Player provides the antidote to not being satisfied with the IFE

Whatever happened in the days we all watched a large screen attached to the cabin bulkhead ;)

buns

Fly certain airlines and you still can... ;)
#824786 by slinky09
23 Sep 2012, 12:18
buns wrote:I think this will be a regular feature for me now - download a few programmes at home before going away knowing that they will only be available for 7 days

buns

And even better is that when you download, they're available for thirty days on your iPad!
#824797 by mitchja
23 Sep 2012, 13:07
You can still stream programs on 3G but you need to be on WiFi to download and save programs.

Also once you start watching something, you only then get 7 days to finish it before it disappears.
#824848 by lobbers
23 Sep 2012, 18:02
slinky09 wrote:Good plan Darren, now the doh! moment, I was signed into the US iStore so no wonder the iPlayer wan't there ... now downloaded and updated and I see it all fine!

I'm not one to say I told you so, but...

:w
#824880 by honey lamb
23 Sep 2012, 21:33
lobbers wrote:
slinky09 wrote:Good plan Darren, now the doh! moment, I was signed into the US iStore so no wonder the iPlayer wan't there ... now downloaded and updated and I see it all fine!

I'm not one to say I told you so, but...

:w

You did!! :D
Virgin Atlantic