#828779 by Tinuks
31 Oct 2012, 13:06
I've been using my darling little Sony VAIO 10.2 for a couple of years now, but sadly I dropped it on its head on a marble floor a few weeks back and it seems to have suffered major trauma. I figured it was time to put it (and me) out of its misery and get a replacement, but to my absolute horror, they don't make them in that size anymore.

The closest thing to it in size and weight (to my mind) is the macbook air, but I'm not very familiar with the apple OS and was wondering how it would perform if I installed windows unto it.

I would give it a try for a bit to see if I can adjust, but if I can't I would want to go back to windows.

Help please.
#828782 by Neil
31 Oct 2012, 13:11
I love my 11" MBA - never used a Mac really before I bought it last year, and I am now a total convert. I HATE having to use windows at work, it is so frustrating.

You will find the Mac OS very different initially and it does take some time to get used to it, but once you have it you should love it.
#828784 by mitchja
31 Oct 2012, 13:35
Yep, go for the MacBook Air but don't even bother putting Windows on it, you won't need it :)

If you find you really do need Windows on it, there are a couple of options available. Use the built in Boot camp where you can choose which O/S to boot into when you first turn on the MacBook or buy something like Parallels or other VM software which allows you to actually run Windows from within OS X at the same time.

OS X is so easy to use once you get used to it.
#828785 by Luke12
31 Oct 2012, 13:41
Another vote for Mac - once you switch you won't look back.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but is soooo much better!
#828792 by slinky09
31 Oct 2012, 14:31
As Nike might say, just do it ;) .

I run Windows on my Air but am planning to migrate fully to Mac Office and get rid of Windows.
#828799 by JCBR
31 Oct 2012, 15:14
That is funny because I was exactly the same as you - been a fan of Sony for years and I had the small thin vaio for a couple of years. However, the build quality was not great and the screen hinge broke so - hesitantly and because Sony do not make any nice models now - I switched to mac air 11"

My only regret is not doing it sooner. The first hour was weird but everything works properly (not used to that experience having used windows all my life).

Windows runs fine on it but you will never run it by choice - it is way too clunky once you try mac - but there is one program I use that is only available for PC so I have to reboot with windows when I want to use it.
That is a bit of a pain - you cannot just switch over and carry on - you need to re-boot use as windows PC then re-boot back to mac.
#828803 by slinky09
31 Oct 2012, 16:01
JCBR wrote:Windows runs fine on it but you will never run it by choice - it is way too clunky once you try mac

Have to say I strongly disagree with this - W7 runs better on my Air than any PC laptop I've ever had, it's faster and less prone to crashes than ever - unfortunately I've had to use it because of security programs that my company requires, conference tools, back-ups, etc. We're navigating away from these but it's taken time.

Mind you, yes, Mac OS is better than any MS operating system.
#828805 by preiffer
31 Oct 2012, 16:07
We've recently been running measured tests on as-near-as-damnit identical PC configurations to the same 15" Retina MacBook Pro, both running Windows 7 (in BootCamp for the Mac)

The result? The MacBook Pro beats the SAME "proper" PC configuration by between 25% and 100% in almost every test we've run. And I'm talking about a lot of tests.

Now, I'd still suggest doing the full switch to OSX, but (as Slinky says), Windows on a Mac? NO problem these days - it runs better than on a PC :)
#828809 by LovingGold
31 Oct 2012, 16:54
If it helps anyone I have had MBP's for a few years now.
I run Parallels Desktop on OSX so I have the best of both worlds.
A Win7 desktop in full coherence mode so it looks built in to OSX. Faultless so far. All my devices are shared with both OS's at the click of a mouse with the speed and beauty of the MAC.

A happy tech :D :D
#828810 by LovingGold
31 Oct 2012, 16:56
slinky09 wrote:
JCBR wrote:Windows runs fine on it but you will never run it by choice - it is way too clunky once you try mac

Have to say I strongly disagree with this - W7 runs better on my Air than any PC laptop I've ever had, it's faster and less prone to crashes than ever - unfortunately I've had to use it because of security programs that my company requires, conference tools, back-ups, etc. We're navigating away from these but it's taken time.

Slinky, perhaps your company needs a better IT director :| LOL
#828811 by Tinuks
31 Oct 2012, 16:59
Thanks for all the replies. I'm even more convinced.

One more question though, what's the Mac version of Outlook?
#828813 by mitchja
31 Oct 2012, 17:12
In Office 2011 for Mac (the latest version), Outlook is Outlook now. In older versions of Office for Mac, Entourage was used instead.

I don't use Outlook though as the built in Mac mail, contacts and calendar apps are miles better.
#828814 by slinky09
31 Oct 2012, 17:17
LovingGold wrote:Slinky, perhaps your company needs a better IT director :| LOL

I am saying nuthink!
#828818 by JCBR
31 Oct 2012, 17:43
slinky09 wrote:

I do totally agree that windows runs better on mac than on pc. I mean the actual feel of the OS seems clunky after using mac.
I know this is not a laptop forum but how do I run mac and W7 at the same time ?

Does the fact I am on a Virgin train on my way to take a Virgin flight make it forum relative ?
#828821 by slinky09
31 Oct 2012, 17:55
JCBR wrote:I know this is not a laptop forum but how do I run mac and W7 at the same time ?

Does the fact I am on a Virgin train on my way to take a Virgin flight make it forum relative ?

Of course!

I use Parallels in coherence mode to run Windows and Mac application in the same UI and also in the dock. Happy to help, but I know there are more savvy people than I here ...
#828822 by Pete
31 Oct 2012, 18:02
What Slinky said. In coherence mode, Parallels makes it look like Windows and Mac apps are running together. The first time you switch to that mode, it's quite unnerving!
#829704 by Tinuks
08 Nov 2012, 22:38
Okay. So I've just taken delivery of the airbook today. I've been trying to get to grips with it and after 2 hours, I've shut the lid and decided to leave it till I'm a little bit more awake in the morning.

I know I've got better help here than any tech support out there, so expect a few cries for help
#831344 by MrT
26 Nov 2012, 22:36
Just done the same, MBA 11" from the Black Friday sale and now running Parallels with Windows 8 and Office 2013 on top. Amazed by the battery life so far...!
#831351 by DocRo
27 Nov 2012, 01:49
Enjoy.
Once you get used to OsX you won't look back.
Couldn't imagine using Windows now.
Mind you if Apple sold pants, I would probably be wearing them now.
Virgin Atlantic