#830195 by joeyc
13 Nov 2012, 19:45
Oh so many possibilities.... ii)

What's the setup?
#830206 by northernhenry
13 Nov 2012, 20:44
joeyc wrote:Oh so many possibilities.... ii)

What's the setup?
acts as wifi router and backs up via wifi. Is flashing amber and alert on iMac
#830207 by mitchja
13 Nov 2012, 20:48
Probably the HDD failing in it. Most HDD's do well to last over 3 years these days.

If you have AppleCare for a Mac, TC's are also included as long as the it was purchased no more than 2 years before you purchased your Mac.
#830209 by joeyc
13 Nov 2012, 20:50
northernhenry wrote: acts as wifi router and backs up via wifi. Is flashing amber and alert on iMac

Have you tried turning it off an on again.. :P

Amber flashing light on the base station could also be connection related.. Have a look at airport utility on the mac and see if it can self diagnose - if that has been tried and tested and the connection is fine.. Next bit of fun and games could be with the HDD - is it full? has the drive failed? (try to access the backups through the computer interface - if you cannot get into them sounds like the drive could have failed or the connection has been severed.. nothing lasts forever n( )

Sorry for the multitude of questions again.. ii)
#851254 by catsilversword
12 Jul 2013, 09:26
I saw this bit of gadgetry for the first time last week and was fascinated. So you use instead of your current router? Are there any compatibility issues with ISPs (I use BT)? How difficult is it to set up and maintain? I'm guessing it's acts like a sort of server, as it does auto back ups?

Brilliant idea.
#851260 by Hull
12 Jul 2013, 11:19
I have had mine for just over three years, and never had any problems.

I have it connected to my Virgin Media SuperHub and am getting around 61mb/s download speed through it.

Set up was simple as with anything MAC it guides you through.

It is easy to use, automatic back up from your iMac or MacBook, after installing a new SSD into my MacBook restoring all of my files was simple.

Dominic
#851346 by mitchja
12 Jul 2013, 19:33
catsilversword wrote:I saw this bit of gadgetry for the first time last week and was fascinated. So you use instead of your current router? Are there any compatibility issues with ISPs (I use BT)? How difficult is it to set up and maintain? I'm guessing it's acts like a sort of server, as it does auto back ups?

Brilliant idea.

They don't come with built in modems so you need to have it plugged into another ADSL/fibre router. Mine is plugged into my Sky ADSL Router.

If you have fibre broadband, with a bit of work, you can just use the separate fibre modem and let the Time Capsule do all the routing stuff (well for now anyway as ISP's are now looking at integrating the fibre modem into routers like ADSL routers have)

Automatic backups only work with Macs, although Windows PC's can still access the disk drive in them as a network drive.

The WiFi on Time Capsules also allows Apple portable devices (iPhones & iPads etc) to work at their full WiFi connection speeds. It's also simultaneous dual band WiFi (which the newest BT hubs and Virgin hubs are now) which offers better coverage and isn't subject to the same interference as single band WiFi is.
Virgin Atlantic