#831348 by at240
27 Nov 2012, 00:30
I'd be very grateful for any advice on this.

I am basically looking for a simple way to watch video and streamed content (from my laptop PC and iPad) on my TV. At the moment I can only do this by hooking the laptop to the TV via a VGA cable, which is unsightly and doesn't really give a very good picture. I have not got a way of connecting the iPad to the TV at the moment.

Apple TV (which I came across today by accident) seems like an interesting proposition. It would certainly nail the iPad/TV side of things. But it also looks quite pricey.

Any experience / views / opinions? :)
#831349 by Trevski220
27 Nov 2012, 01:16
I've had one for about 9 months now, its certainly very handy for watching anything off an iPad or any other apple product, I use it every week to stream the NFL from my iPad app onto the big tv screen which is great, beware that not all apps will stream to the box though, Lovefilm would be an example due to Apple supporting Netflix on the Apple TV

It also Works great connected to a music system for streaming music from spotify or itunes match or similar. Also some of the Internet radio stations are pretty good and I often enjoy flicking through you tube.

Like most apple products you are pretty confined to authorised apps or iTunes based media though.

I bought mine in the US and it cost me £63 when it came through on my card bill, in my eyes it's money well spent, even at uk price if £99 I'd buy one!!
#831350 by DocRo
27 Nov 2012, 01:39
I'm a fan but I am sure there are solutions that ar just as good.
Streaming from the Ipad works well and very easily. I have a US ITunes account as well as a UK one which means I can browse and stream from either store getting some content a bit earlier if not much cheaper. Great for MLB if that floats your boat.
#831355 by jodash
27 Nov 2012, 08:41
I've got one as well,a great bit of kit and the grandtwins love it when they see pictures of themselves on grandads TV
#831357 by David
27 Nov 2012, 09:35
Bought one in Comet last week (before they shut) for £89.

Just getting to grips with it but so far so good. Had an issue trying to get a full screen on the TV but solved that after turning mirroring off.

Cant get the Sky Go app to work but I am sure its just me.

Not really an itunes person (everythings on a nas drive for my sonos) but it seems pretty good so far.

For £89, its not a bad toy, and like everything apple, looks pretty neat y)

David
Last edited by David on 27 Nov 2012, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
#831362 by jodash
27 Nov 2012, 10:55
David wrote:Bought one in Comet last week (before they shut) for £89.

Just getting to grips with it but so far so good. Had an issue trying to get a full screen on the TV but solved that after turning mirroring off.

Cant get the Sky Go app to work but I am sure its just me.

Not really an itunes person (everythings on a nas dive for my sonos) but it seems pretty good so far.

For £89, its not a bad toy, and like everything apple, looks pretty neat y)

David

Good price as well did not see any at local Comet
#831365 by mitchja
27 Nov 2012, 11:52
You won't get Sky Go to work via an Apple TV box, as Sky have specifically designed it not to work due to the Sky Go licence/broadcast agreements. Last time I tried I only got picture or sound (cannot remember which) but not both.

(This is also the main reason why Sky Go is not available on many Android handsets as many of them have a HDMI TV output socket on the handset and Sky don't have the capability to block this output.)
#831367 by David
27 Nov 2012, 12:10
mitchja wrote:You won't get Sky Go to work via an Apple TV box, as Sky have specifically designed it not to work due to the Sky Go licence/broadcast agreements. Last time I tried I only got picture or sound (cannot remember which) but not both.

(This is also the main reason why Sky Go is not available on many Android handsets as many of them have a HDMI TV output socket on the handset and Sky don't have the capability to block this output.)

Ahh, thats why. Thanks James. y)

David
#831370 by joeyc
27 Nov 2012, 13:59
Main advantage from my point of view is a using it as a screen mirror. You can mirror any os lion mac screen or ipad onto your tele.

Makes it very handy for streaming TV shows when recovering on a sunday morning... don't even have to leave the sofa :P

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sky Go kind of like the bbc iplayer for sky? If so, this is streaming to your TV, why would you need it if you already have a sky box plugged in? I'm a Virgin Media customer and they have an on-demand catch up TV option in the main menu, does sky not provide this too?

Streaming iTunes library TV shows and Films as well as having film rental capability if I ever fancy a night in and actually feel like paying as opposed to grey line streaming from the internet... ahh the possiblities.. ii)
#831371 by joeyc
27 Nov 2012, 14:00
Sorry, didn't give my verdict....basically yes I can recommend it. Definitely worth the price tag, and my view is a resounding y) y)
#831376 by David
27 Nov 2012, 15:15
joeyc wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sky Go kind of like the bbc iplayer for sky? If so, this is streaming to your TV, why would you need it if you already have a sky box plugged in? I'm a Virgin Media customer and they have an on-demand catch up TV option in the main menu, does sky not provide this too?

It would let you watch different "live" sky channnels* in another room on your TV as opposed to a 10" tablet.

*not all sky channels are available on sky go

The sky go app is great if you are battling over channels - only problem is, it's like the other streaming apps, it doesnt work outside the UK.

Of course for another £10 a month you could get multi room which would solve the problem.

David
Last edited by David on 27 Nov 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
#831377 by at240
27 Nov 2012, 15:34
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the replies - really appreciated. y)

All sounds good to me. My one doubt was whether streaming stuff from your PC or iPad wirelessly would work well in practice. Sounds like it does.

Thanks again... :)
#831386 by joeyc
27 Nov 2012, 16:08
David wrote:The sky go app is great is you are battling over channels - only problem is, it's like the other streaming apps, it doesnt work outside the UK.

Thanks for clearing that up David, thought it would allow people to watch sky on the go based on the name.... I did not consider the battle over channels (usually because I win ): ) - I get how it could be useful in the home.

at240 wrote: My one doubt was whether streaming stuff from your PC or iPad wirelessly would work well in practice. Sounds like it does.

It does with a MAC :P PCs and windows o/s can't screen mirror... back to the cable connection I am afraid. :w

Nearly at 1000.... 8D
#831387 by at240
27 Nov 2012, 16:21
joey -- thanks :) -- I meant streaming audio, say, from a PC with iTunes (which I think you can do?) -- I wonder whether this is stuttery over a wireless connection (although it certainly shouldn't be).
#831388 by Trevski220
27 Nov 2012, 16:23
at240 wrote:joey -- thanks :) -- I meant streaming audio, say, from a PC with iTunes (which I think you can do?) -- I wonder whether this is stuttery over a wireless connection (although it certainly shouldn't be).

Works fine without stuttering for me
#831390 by markyl
27 Nov 2012, 17:31
Air parrot allows PC Desktop Mirroring.

Mirror your desktop to any AppleTV so others can see exactly what's on your screen.

http://airparrot.com/

I have it set up on a Dell Lap Top
Last edited by markyl on 27 Nov 2012, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
#831391 by joeyc
27 Nov 2012, 17:52
markyl wrote:Air parrot allows PC Desktop Mirroring.

Mirror your desktop to any AppleTV so others can see exactly what's on your screen.

http://airparrot.com/

Interesting how the only product they show is the Mac... where is this PC they speak of? :P

On Macs airplay screen mirroring is now built in making their app kind of useless for those with OS lion.

From experience with third party streaming apps (spotify to wireless speakers was a fun one..) the connection is not as stable as it could be, lots of dropped and half stuttered songs.. hopefully it has changed now though.

at240 wrote:I meant streaming audio, say, from a PC with iTunes

Yep that is easy, there is a setting in itunes that allows airplay to connect to the apple tv.

Also take a look at the Apple TV interface, allow home sharing in itunes and you can pick up your entire collection on the apple tv - TV shows, films, podcasts, music... all on your TV. y)
#831392 by joeyc
27 Nov 2012, 17:58
markyl wrote:I have it set up on a Dell Lap Top

Sneaky edit there..... ii)

How does it run? any drops or response issues?
Virgin Atlantic