#834512 by Treelo
10 Jan 2013, 22:11
To save lugging my Sony laptop to the US this year, I'm looking to get a notebook/netbook. Nothing too fancy, maybe around £500-£600. I am totally clueless about note/netbooks and would welcome any advice.
#834524 by mitchja
10 Jan 2013, 22:59
MBA or an iPad y)

I dont think you can buy netbooks now can you? I'm sure I read somewhere the other week that the last netbook rolled off a production line somewhere before Christmas. Netbooks have been superseded by tablets now.
#834567 by Tinuks
11 Jan 2013, 12:40
Considering that I just got a Mac Book Air it may be surprising that I'm voting against it. The reason is that it takes a bit of getting used to and if it's just for temporary use, it may drive you bonkers. (I spent a lot of time trying to right click and use the ctrl key). If you have to switch back and forth it won't be fun.

I believe that you can still get netbooks/notebooks from Curry's. Or maybe try a tablet with those flip over keyboard case thingies.
#834570 by Slipperman
11 Jan 2013, 13:21
mitchja wrote:MBA or an iPad y)

I dont think you can buy netbooks now can you? I'm sure I read somewhere the other week that the last netbook rolled off a production line somewhere before Christmas. Netbooks have been superseded by tablets now.

...or Chromebooks

Link
#834581 by joeyc
11 Jan 2013, 14:25
Like a CBA officer... business or pleasure?

In my view:
Pleasure go for a tablet/iPad - lots of games (plants vs zombies.. ): ), web browser, email app, some productive/work apps too if you need to put a presentation together or write up some simple docs.

Business go for a macbook y) y) - the o/s can handle the more complex business packages that often are not compatible (or indeed unavailable) on tablet devices. It is also possible to run Windows applications on the Mac o/s with a piece of software, so def covered from all angles.
#834598 by preiffer
11 Jan 2013, 17:17
Asus are running their last netbook off the production line this quarter. Netbooks are dead.

Ultrabooks (full width, shallow form factor) units are in. Tablets/pads are in. Netbooks, are (and always have been) a waste of money.

(For reference, I have purchased two netbooks previously. Now have 2 x MBA, 1 x X series Lenovo, 2 x MBP Retina and a load of other kit. The netbooks were my worst EVER purchase)
#834602 by David
11 Jan 2013, 18:09
The issue that nobody has really mentioned is price.

You'll pick up a netbook for £125-£175

While everything else mentioned, ultrabooks, ipads, macbook pro etc etc are all VERY nice, they start at 3 or 4 times the price of a "netbook"

David
#834608 by ratechaser
11 Jan 2013, 19:19
For my last business trip, I decided I could no longer bear lugging my old workThinkpad around, and instead loaded the Citrix Receiver app onto my iPad and took that, in a case with a keyboard. Given that all I really needed was to remote into my company network, it worked very well, even if the keyboard was a bit dodgy (well it looked good on the Groupon offer...).

So my next logical thought was to get an MacBook Air when I'm in NY in a couple of weeks, but reading this thread, maybe I shouldn't bother, and instead just get a better keyboard for the iPad...
#834609 by at240
11 Jan 2013, 19:30
ratechaser wrote:So my next logical thought was to get an MacBook Air when I'm in NY in a couple of weeks, but reading this thread, maybe I shouldn't bother, and instead just get a better keyboard for the iPad...

I too ditched my laptop on one quick trip last year, and just used a laptop and a remote desktop app when necessary. Although it's a bit fiddly remote desktop-ing on an ipad, and even though my laptop is light, the difference was like night and day! I'm also considering a MacBook Air too -- provided it can run one key PC program on it via parallels, I'll be happy to switch. I never thought I would say that!
#834628 by ratechaser
11 Jan 2013, 22:33
buns wrote:Would not be without my I Pad when I go away - if nothing else it will go in the Room Safe

buns

Sounds exactly like my skiing trip. Took it with me, it went in the safe all week, and only got used at Innsbruck airport when we were trying to track down where our plane was...

But otherwise it rarely goes a day without use on holiday.
Virgin Atlantic