#839283 by Tinuks
01 Mar 2013, 13:26
Hi to all you Apple product fiends. I'm hoping I can get help here without enduring having to call tech support.

Up until yesterday everything was fine, but this morning I tried playing music on my itunes and there was no sound. I restarted and heard the "ping" but still no sound when playing iTunes. I tried headphones and the sound was fine.

Any advice will be welcome.
#839284 by northernhenry
01 Mar 2013, 13:43
Assume general sound working, Eg a YouTube video etc?
Is it recent download ?
Try some old stuff you know has worked.
Back-up and reinstall iTunes.

I'm no expert but that's what I'd try...

NH
#839285 by joeyc
01 Mar 2013, 13:46
You have tried turning it off and on again.. :? How about giving it a kick :P

First off which mac are we talking here? and is it just iTunes or can you get sound from other sources?

Secondly a couple of common fixes.. is mute on? sorry had to ask :P Have a look in system preferences>sound In the list the top option should either be Headphones if you have headphones attached or Internal Speakers if no headphones detected. This all correct?

Another check - is there a red light shining out of the headphones/audio out port? If so then the mac is trying to connect through headphones and none are there obv... will need to clean the port out, sometimes some fluff or dirt gets in there and tricks the sensor into thinking an audio jack is inserted. A quick blast from an air canister should do it, or if no access to air canisters then a pin with a piece of cotton wool, very carefully to swab it out. - the startup ping comes in before the system checks for attached components.

If in doubt take it to an apple store, if one nearby, and they should be able to help out.. hopefully :w

Hope this helps 8D
#839294 by Tinuks
01 Mar 2013, 15:51
It's definitely not on mute, no flashing lights, I tried putting headphones in and out. I even tried downloading the latest software update that I've been ignoring.

It's an 11 inch Air Book. So considering how much this little thing cost me I will not kick it (though I'm really tempted). I'll take it to an Apple Store
#839303 by joeyc
01 Mar 2013, 16:55
What did the system pref route tell you?

Yeh, mac airs are probably not best kicked... although they are rather aerodynamic, try launching it from a window to see how far it glides :P
#839308 by Tinuks
01 Mar 2013, 17:28
joeyc wrote:What did the system pref route tell you?

Yeh, mac airs are probably not best kicked... although they are rather aerodynamic, try launching it from a window to see how far it glides :P

I will leave the launching out of the window option till if it does something crazy like crashing.

I tried the system pref and it says headphones which is odd because I never used headphones. I guess it's time to clean out the Mac's ears.
#839313 by joeyc
01 Mar 2013, 17:47
Tinuks wrote:I tried the system pref and it says headphones which is odd because I never used headphones. I guess it's time to clean out the Mac's ears.

Yeh, if it thinks there are headphones attached the audio port needs to be cleaned out.. I would suggest give it a try at cleaning it out, restart the comp and see what happens.

If all else fails then do wander along to an apple store, they will be able to clean it out in no time at all. Good luck y)
#839317 by Tinuks
01 Mar 2013, 18:52
joeyc wrote:
Tinuks wrote:I tried the system pref and it says headphones which is odd because I never used headphones. I guess it's time to clean out the Mac's ears.

Yeh, if it thinks there are headphones attached the audio port needs to be cleaned out.. I would suggest give it a try at cleaning it out, restart the comp and see what happens.

If all else fails then do wander along to an apple store, they will be able to clean it out in no time at all. Good luck y)

It didn't work so it's off to my local apple store. Thanks for all your help joeyc. :X
Virgin Atlantic