#863818 by Bretty
03 Jan 2014, 22:52
Hello fellow v-flyers,
I need a bit of advice please and submit myself to the collective wisdom herein. |:) oo)

I'm in the market for some new luggage and have always had soft cases, some expandable some not. Please can anyone highlight the merits or their preferences for hard sided cases versus soft cases. I'm thinking possibly Antler or Samsonite, although the brand isn't too important.

Look forward to hearing from y'all, many thanks,

Bretty
#863822 by Tinuks
03 Jan 2014, 23:27
I've had a Samsonite Cosmolite for about 4 years now, it,s super light and really nice looking. It's pretty functional and I recommend it. Alternatively there's the Samsonite Cubeliite or Rimowa. They are less curvy.

The main advantage to me is that they are lightweight and have a longer lifespan than soft sides. Also you won't get cat pee all over their contents a la HL's Cape Town incident so that's more protection for your possessions.
#863823 by scruickshank
03 Jan 2014, 23:35
Hi Bretty, I swear by the actual M&S hard case ones. Mine has taken a real beating and lasted the course, I usually need to replace each year but thats after being really fully loaded and about 40-50 flights all over the world. It's called the Scorpious. Obv the ones in the £3-400 price bracket will be better. Rimowa etc But, this is great value and has a guarantee.
#863824 by Bretty
03 Jan 2014, 23:51
Thanks guys.

Tinuks I had looked at the cosmolite range and some of the other Samsonite.

Scruickshank - I didn't know Marks & Sparks did luggage so will check their website, thanks.
#863825 by ultreen1
03 Jan 2014, 23:54
I've had a samsonite hard case for 9 years now!
Bright yellow!
Got it in my very early 20's, thought It was the bees knees!
It's got lots of travel wear on it now. I can't part with it, it's been so many places with me and it's still the brightest case on the carousel!
I still use to this day! Much to the dismay of hwmbo!
#863827 by Bretty
04 Jan 2014, 00:00
ultreen1 wrote:I've had a samsonite hard case for 9 years now!
Bright yellow!
It's got lots of travel wear on it now. I can't part with it, it's been so many places with me and it's still the brightest case on the carousel!

Lol, that sounds a little bold for me and my other half would probably disown me! Nice to know it's lasted so long though. I find we're having to replace soft cases every couple of years and we only fly maybe 3-4 times a year.

Cheers
#863834 by Tinuks
04 Jan 2014, 07:21
Bright yellow!

They just seem to go on and on don't they? I've had one for over 10 years as well and it has a few nicks on the outside and still gets used at least 2ce a year. sadly it's twin suffered a mishap in its 2nd year thanks to LHR baggage handling and has since been buried under the bed in the spare room.
#863840 by sunsational
04 Jan 2014, 10:37
Bright yellow!

I think we might beat you on the colour; we have two luminous lime green, two orange and 2 pink. John refuses to pull the pink ones. Delsey, large lightweight, cost about $250 each but have been brilliant - in all senses of the word.
#863855 by northernhenry
04 Jan 2014, 15:13
Large upright wheeled duffles been the staple in the NH household for many years now. (have gradually replaced with tumi ones, from numerous US trips), absolutely swear by them, especially for mobility- straight onto escalators, low storage area (if on trains, stand upright etc), easier to wheel around stand up out of the way in hotel rooms, couple of stiffened pods inside for anything fragile.

this sort of idea, don't need to be Tumi, never buy full price..- picked ours up dirt cheap in various outlets over the years..
Have noted a few looks of "we should of got those" when storming past people struggling with the 4 wheel hard cases etc when near stairs/ escalators etc..

An must if combining any mixed forms of transport- Japan etc spring to mind.

NH
#863857 by SNOMO
04 Jan 2014, 16:48
Samsonite for us as we have to pack crash helmets in them for protection - so far so good for 4 years - would recommend them. Think John Lewis may have them in their sale as the moment too :)
#863869 by Bretty
04 Jan 2014, 18:28
Thanks guys, very helpful indeed.

@NH Japan is my next trip and we'll be making use of the Shinkansen system to travel between Tokyo and Kyoto so am looking for good manoeuvrability too, so will check out your recommendations.

@SNOMO indeed John Lewis have got both Samsonite and Antler luggage on sale, as have a couple of other retailers all accessible via the Shops Away portal giving me ample miles earning opportunities too, especially when combined with the VS Black Amex!

Cheers
#863879 by ultreen1
05 Jan 2014, 01:05
sunsational wrote:
Bright yellow!

I think we might beat you on the colour; we have two luminous lime green, two orange and 2 pink. John refuses to pull the pink ones. Delsey, large lightweight, cost about $250 each but have been brilliant - in all senses of the word.

I think you win!
I never forget my gran bringing home the wrong case, she even put tinsel on it! But she still brought home the wrong one!
I remember shouting at her! "This one doesn't have f****** tinsel on!"
That's the problem with "cheaper" black ones! They all look alike
Maybe that's why I bought my bright one (subconsciously)! I know which case is mine!
#863908 by Bretty
05 Jan 2014, 17:54
You lot crack me up! Lol
#863909 by CHill710
05 Jan 2014, 18:17
My mum insists on covering every suitcase in bright blue fabric paint so as she can see it on the conveyor on arrival.

I keep pointing out to her that a ribbon arround the handle is sufficient.

I never have any problem finding my case with only a v-flyer luggage tag on it.

I have a John Lewis own brand small hard 4 wheel case for short trips and a large red American tourister 4 wheel case for transatlantic trips. Both are a few years old and still going strong.
#863914 by RyanJW
05 Jan 2014, 20:52
Go for 4-wheels. You'll never look back! Also get ones with integrated TSA approved travel locks.

I've had the Antler Tourlites for a while now and mine have done ~36 flights this year and are still in fantastic shape.
#863918 by Bretty
05 Jan 2014, 21:19
Thanks Ryan, 4 wheels I have already, so just a choice now between hard or soft case. The jury is still out.
Virgin Atlantic