#878565 by vizbiz
21 Jul 2014, 09:42
I have some MP4's of various films, and wanted to try and understand the best way to transfer one or more of them onto an iPad Air?

I've tried putting the vids onto iTunes, but can't seem to get that to work - but if I did how would I then get an MP4 that didn't ORIGINATE in iTunes (but is now stored there) transferred to watch on my iPad Air?

Thanks!
#878568 by Silver Fox
21 Jul 2014, 11:05
itunes was "written" by the same people responsible for Virgin's IT imho. Which means I cannot help and I detest itunes with a vengeance. Absolute garbage. Sorry I can't help ! :)
#878569 by Osy
21 Jul 2014, 11:15
Compatible video files can just be drag-and-dropped into iTunes, which then imports them into the iTunes library on that computer. If you sync the iPad to that iTunes library, you can select which videos are copied over (or all of them).

The challenge is getting compatible videos. If the MP4 is an unsuitable resolution, or uses the wrong compression features (the wrong MP4 profile), then either iTunes will reject it or you get a message saying it cannot be played on that device.

Look for a piece of software called Handbrake. That can transcode video files, and usually has various iPad and iPhone profiles built it.

Paul
#878575 by Neil
21 Jul 2014, 13:10
I used an app called Azule to play my movies on my iPad, you just add the movies to the app when managing the device in iTunes.
#878621 by ryosan
22 Jul 2014, 02:21
I use VLC (which is free) and plays just about everything you throw at it, MP4 or different format files (e.g avi, mkv, even ones with subtitles).

If you have GDrive or Dropbox, you can sync it with that, and you can even put in addresses directly to it and download movies directly on the app (and by this, I mean totally legal downloads, the kind you'd find on http://www.archive.org or wikimedia, but THEORETICALLY could be anything) , without even having to use iTunes. Which is bliss.
Virgin Atlantic