#898327 by ScoobySu
11 Mar 2015, 11:48
Thanks PJH - we were looking at buying one of these for our USA trip in April!

ScoobySu
#898346 by locutus
11 Mar 2015, 13:47
Feel at home is good, but don't expect fast data speeds. All data is sent back to the UK to exit out to the internet and speed seems very limited. Good enough for a bit of surfing and email though.
#898352 by ultreen1
11 Mar 2015, 14:54
Feel at home with 3 is great if your in the sates, yes data speeds are slow but workable. They just need to add Thailand and portugal.
#898456 by ScoobySu
12 Mar 2015, 15:49
pjh wrote:From MoneySavingExpert here. Offer link goes live at 14.30 on 12th March.

Thanks PJH - managed to order one for me and one for hubby ready for our April USA trip!

ScoobySu
#898457 by pjh
12 Mar 2015, 16:22
ScoobySu wrote:
pjh wrote:From MoneySavingExpert here. Offer link goes live at 14.30 on 12th March.

Thanks PJH - managed to order one for me and one for hubby ready for our April USA trip!

ScoobySu

Excellent! Happy to have helped in some way. I've been stuck in meetings since 2 and the offer is now gone, so I'll be seeking out free wireless in NYC in 3 weeks....
#898466 by locutus
12 Mar 2015, 19:07
If you didn't get one, get a free PAYG SIM and put the £15 pack on, and get 25GB data (whilst in a feel at home country) and 300 Mins and 3000 texts to UK numbers. Still a bargain at £15.
#898478 by pjh
12 Mar 2015, 22:53
locutus wrote:If you didn't get one, get a free PAYG SIM and put the £15 pack on, and get 25GB data (whilst in a feel at home country) and 300 Mins and 3000 texts to UK numbers. Still a bargain at £15.

:)
#898537 by Vegascrazy
14 Mar 2015, 10:09
Las56 wrote:Hi,
would anyone know if a family was in the U.S. together if " Feel At Home" calls between them while in the U.S. are included in the allowance?

Absolutely yes :) With Feel at Home you basically use your phone as you would in UK for no charge whatsoever - hence calls to UK mobile numbers are all included.
#898538 by polb74
14 Mar 2015, 10:29
Las56 wrote:Hi,
would anyone know if a family was in the U.S. together if " Feel At Home" calls between them while in the U.S. are included in the allowance?

Yes, we did this on our trip to California last year, all 4 of us had sims and were able to text and call each other at no extra cost.
#899027 by DragonLady
21 Mar 2015, 05:40
I tried to buy one of these yesterday in 3 .I was very clear I only wanted to buy a sim and put the £15 feel at home add on (for roaming in the US) .I was told that they no longer offer this and I needed to buy a rolling month sim on a contract ( which I would then need to cancel as its active for 30 days).
I ended up buying the rolling sim but having had another look on the 3 website it seems this is still very much alive as a deal :(! .
DL
#899428 by at240
27 Mar 2015, 00:09
I wonder whether what you were told was accurate, DragonLady. The PAYG sim and the £15 add-on are clearly available -- and you don't even need to mention the 'feel at home' offer because it is automatic in those countries where it is offered. i.e. you just apply the add-on in the UK and then when you get to your destination you get a text saying that your allowances will continue to apply.
#899435 by DragonLady
27 Mar 2015, 08:14
at240 wrote:I wonder whether what you were told was accurate, DragonLady. The PAYG sim and the £15 add-on are clearly available -- and you don't even need to mention the 'feel at home' offer because it is automatic in those countries where it is offered. i.e. you just apply the add-on in the UK and then when you get to your destination you get a text saying that your allowances will continue to apply.

It wasn't :(! :(!
I went into the 3 shop in my local town the next day to find I'd been told a load of rubbish by her. The store manager in my local shop said there are some changes coming to the feel at home scheme but they haven't been told anything more than that ( and the date for the changes has been pushed back) .
Unfortunately Dragonbaby was leaving that day and I needed her to have a sim so I've cancelled the rolling contract as the card stays live for 30 days.
DL
#899575 by pjh
28 Mar 2015, 17:15
DragonLady wrote:
at240 wrote:I wonder whether what you were told was accurate, DragonLady. The PAYG sim and the £15 add-on are clearly available -- and you don't even need to mention the 'feel at home' offer because it is automatic in those countries where it is offered. i.e. you just apply the add-on in the UK and then when you get to your destination you get a text saying that your allowances will continue to apply.

It wasn't :(! :(!

#1 son has just been given the "can only do it on contract" story. So he's taken the contract, and given 30 days notice of cancellation.
#899577 by mitchja
28 Mar 2015, 17:33
Feel at Home is most definitely available on PAYG, from the Three website:

You can enjoy Feel At Home whether you’re on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go, using a tablet, phone, Mobile Wi-Fi or dongle. If you’re on Pay Monthly, you’ll automatically use your monthly allowances and Add-on allowances to call and text the UK and use data, and if you’re on Pay As You Go you'll need to convert your Pay As You Go credit into an Add-on to get an allowance. Feel At Home works as long as you keep roaming switched on.

All the details and destinations can be found here

Sounds like a sales tactic to get you on contract. Do remember you can often tell when a sale person is lying as their lips are usually moving!!

All high street mobile phone shops are as bad as each other when it comes to high pressure sales tactics :(!
#899580 by hmvs_dog
28 Mar 2015, 17:49
Slight related, but a good tip...

3 partners with T-Mobile and AT&T in the United States. I have found (certainly in California, where I frequent most often) that T-Mobile roams at Edge speeds, whilst AT&T roams at 3G speeds. More often than not, I find myself manually selecting AT&T for better service, although my phone auto selects T-Mobile.
#899592 by mitchja
28 Mar 2015, 19:16
T-Mobile US are still in the process of upgrading their 3G network to the same 3G band we use here (3G2100). Previously their 3G was incompatible with many older UK handsets, hence why you see Edge coverage still in some areas.

EE (and I think Vodafone?) now offer 4G/LTE roaming when using T-Mobile US. Sure it's only a matter of time before Three and O2 offer the same as well.
#899617 by hmvs_dog
29 Mar 2015, 03:13
mitchja wrote:T-Mobile US are still in the process of upgrading their 3G network to the same 3G band we use here (3G2100). Previously their 3G was incompatible with many older UK handsets, hence why you see Edge coverage still in some areas.

EE (and I think Vodafone?) now offer 4G/LTE roaming when using T-Mobile US. Sure it's only a matter of time before Three and O2 offer the same as well.

Good knowledge. Thanks James, that's useful to me.
Virgin Atlantic