#920077 by Karen w
16 Apr 2016, 15:03
Hi

Just trying to understand if we will be able to use the automated machines, travelling with my OH and son, all have ESTA but son's passport is new and not been used to travel to US previously. We have all been to US since 2008 though. I thought I had seen that the passport has to have been used previously. Any help much appreciated.
#920080 by ScoobySu
16 Apr 2016, 17:08
Thanks Darren - I was wondering the same thing!
#920085 by Traveller2
16 Apr 2016, 20:42
I went to Orlando last November on a brand new passport and I was able to use the machine.

Having said that, it didn't speed things up at all as I then had to queue to see an immigration officer who repeated the whole process!!
#920087 by tontybear
16 Apr 2016, 21:20
Traveller2 wrote:I went to Orlando last November on a brand new passport and I was able to use the machine.

Having said that, it didn't speed things up at all as I then had to queue to see an immigration officer who repeated the whole process!!

I'm assuming that you'd had an ESTA on your previous passport?

In that case you can use the machines but if you've never had an ESTA at all then you can't. (And i think even then it;s only after 2009)

But yes it's a bit silly to still see an officer but they still have to stamp your passport. At least they don't staple anything into your passport now!

On my last two entries the officer just looked at my passport, then at me then at the slip from the machine and just stamped me in.
#920090 by Bretty
16 Apr 2016, 23:01
I've a similar question. We've just renewed our ESTA but travelling on same passports that had used ESTA before. Will we be able to use the machines or need to see an officer?

Many thanks :)
#920095 by Traveller2
17 Apr 2016, 09:43
Tontybear. Yes, we had ESTAs on previous passports.

Bretty. Yes, you will be able to use the machines.

Karen. There is an official in the queue who asks when you last visited the USA on an ESTA and he tells you if you can use the machines or not. We didn't want to as the ordinary queue was pretty short but we had no choice. We used the machines, our slips of paper did NOT have crosses on them but we still had to queue again to see an immigration officer. He then repeated the entire process as well as asking questions. It really was ridiculous as by this time we were some of the last people in the immigration hall. The other people from our flight who were in the ordinary queue, were long gone.
#921198 by ScoobySu
13 May 2016, 03:20
Hi

Just an update from today at LAX - hubby was travelling on a new passport & a new ESTA. After queuing for 40 minutes (we landed just after a Qatar flight from Doha) he was directed to the machines, which then churned out the slip with the X. He then saw an official who retook his prints and photo but we were out in five minutes after that!

ScoobySu
Virgin Atlantic