#76935 by Nottingham Nick
13 Sep 2005, 22:28
EGG

Never had a problem with mine. You have to take it out of its case / bag when you bring it through the TSA checks when you come back home.

Not wishing to go into 'suck eggs' mode, but as long it has variable voltage - 110 volts (I assume they all do... but don't know) you won't have a problem charging it up in the USA or running off the mains.

Has you laptop got wi-fi? I have noticed that more and more places like hotels / shopping malls offer free wi-fi connections. Even hotels at the lower end of the price scale, like Econolodge, are offering it.

Sure beats paying to connect in Starbucks / Borders.:)

Nick
#76939 by easygoingeezer
13 Sep 2005, 22:49
I got an email from manchester raddison telling me they had free wifi and I thought I could olci the night before, also wyndhambyrequest members get free connection now.

was just worried about holding people up at security if i took it along.
#76941 by mitchja
13 Sep 2005, 23:05
Never had a problem carrying my lap-top.....actaullay I now kinda' feel naked when I travel without it [:I]

The worst experience I've had with it was coming back from JFK in 2000 as that's the only time I've had a full-blown explosive swab test performed on my lap-top....even though the TSA agent didn't explain what she was doing.

As Nick has already mentioned always remember that in the US, to remove it from your bag and put it though the x-ray on it's own [V] They may also ask you to switch it on in front of them too.

Regards
#76974 by Kryten
14 Sep 2005, 07:04
Originally posted by mitchja
Never had a problem carrying my lap-top.....actaullay I now kinda' feel naked when I travel without it [:I]

The worst experience I've had with it was coming back from JFK in 2000 as that's the only time I've had a full-blown explosive swab test performed on my lap-top....even though the TSA agent didn't explain what she was doing.

As Nick has already mentioned always remember that in the US, to remove it from your bag and put it though the x-ray on it's own [V] They may also ask you to switch it on in front of them too.

Regards

I carry my laptop with me every time, never had an issue in the US. However in Israel my laptop got the 3rd degree of checking once, after the 3D x-ray the did the full swab tests on it and then examined every screw and questioned me for about 10 minutes as to why the screw which holds the removable CD drive in was missing, and they would not believe me to start with that this screw is optional and not installed by default!

One thing I noticed is that EMA have started asking you to take your laptop out of the bag in the UK!
Virgin Atlantic