#7978 by easygoingeezer
19 Sep 2005, 10:25
Firstly apologies if this question is placed in an incorrect forum.

Ok, i am buying a new laptop, The Rad SAs emailed me to say they had free WiFi access, so I think buy a new laptop for work and use it for OLCI and also to transmit to marketing adds as and when I want whilst on holiday ( opening yet another branch...cool or what ).

Anyway my old laptop says it has a wireless programme and I can't make head nor tails of it, is "wireless" "Remote" the same as WiFi
and how do I get it to work, when I go on to AOL and sign in will it just leg me on like magic or am I supposed to sign up for something else?

Also, where do you connect your laptop on the plane ( never done it before )and how much is it to be online and in the air?

Sorry to sound dumb, but there is a first time for everything I guess.
#77523 by David
19 Sep 2005, 11:19
I can answer a little bit, when you have connected to the wireless network, click on the internet explorer icon, enter the address : http://www.aol.co.uk which brings you to the aol page, then enter your user name and password in the boxes on the right hand side of the page. You can then read your email.

I bought myself a sony t2 in july at the duty free before going to wdw. (bought it in edi duty free rather than lgw which enabled me to get a vat receipt :D)

It gets a bit addictive tho.;)

regards

David

ps think connecting in the air would cost an arm and a leg if its possible at all, as you would have to connect through the planes telephone system
#77524 by preiffer
19 Sep 2005, 11:29
Originally posted by David
ps think connecting in the air would cost an arm and a leg if its possible at all, as you would have to connect through the planes telephone system
It is possible - by connecting your modem to the air-phone port in the seat. You're right though - $9/min [:0]

Try flying Lufty - wifi in the air ;). Come on Virgin...!
#77527 by jaguarpig
19 Sep 2005, 12:50
Even more OT, I am looking at buying an ultra portable laptop looked at the Dell latitude X1,just want it for wifi access when on the move.Whats the best option?
#77528 by p17blo
19 Sep 2005, 12:51
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
Anyway my old laptop says it has a wireless programme and I can't make head nor tails of it, is "wireless" "Remote" the same as WiFi
and how do I get it to work, when I go on to AOL and sign in will it just leg me on like magic or am I supposed to sign up for something else?

Hi egg, I will answer some real basics for you to fill in the info the other have already given you.
Wi-Fi is Wireless (not sure about remote as this is a 'generic' term). There are three main 'agreed' standards for Wi-Fi at present. These are 802.11a, 802.11b & 802.11g. The later is sometimes referred to as 54g. 802.11g is downward compatible to the other standard so is the preferred standard at present to have fitted in your laptop. 802.11a runs at 54mbps, 802.11b runs at 11mbps and 802.11g also runs at 54mbps but has a larger range than 802.11a. These are the maximum speeds you can connect and the further away from and access point (or 'AP') the weeker the signal and the lower the speeds. This is usually fine for internet access as a broadband internet access speed would be around 512kbps (or 0.5mbps) to give you some comparison.
To connect to an AP you will need to set up your wireless network. Some will be encrypted and you will need to know the encryption settings to connect. Wireless signals are usually broadcast so if you are using Windows XP you will be able to activate your wireless network card and scan the airwaves. Once you have received the broadcast signal it is usually just a simple matter of double clicking on the name to activate your connection to it.
You should then be able to open an IE session (or Firefox is you use it) and you will probably be automatically sent to a landing page for the service you are using. This is where you will have to pay for your access (or in your case you should be able to start surfing immediately).
Lastly, where a wireless service is available there is generally someone around that can assist with your connections.
XP is much easier to connect to these signals that other Operating Systems.
Wireless is supposed to be easy but in reality there are several things that can stop you from connected. I hope the above has helped and has not confused you more. Feel free to ask more questions and I will answer where I can.

Paul
Virgin Atlantic