#8406 by preiffer
12 Oct 2005, 22:14
I know we had the bmi announcement thread, but Skytrax have now run a little survey of their own.

Since this affects more than just bmi, in the long term, I figured it really belongs more in the T.Tech forum than anywhere else now.

Link to latest survey

A total of 682,456 air travellers (comprising more than 76 different nationalities) participated in this major global passenger survey, with an overwhelming majority (89.1 %) saying they are opposed to any planned introduction of systems to permit onboard cellphone usage - during either long or short haul flights.
#80700 by McCoy
12 Oct 2005, 23:59
Yup.. this is the result I would expect - and reassuring.
#80712 by fozzyo
13 Oct 2005, 01:11
Please ... no phones!! I guess at least there is some common sense prevailing, just weather or not companies will listen to the pax or see the £££ signs and hear the opening the Are You Being Served theme.

A quick adecdote about mobiles, on United once laded and taxing it is apparently ok to use your mobile, but no other electrical equipment like an iPod. Apparently listening to music could affect the aircraft but making a telephone call with all those radio waves coming out is ok.

Mat xxx
#80730 by Bazz
13 Oct 2005, 12:18
Personally I hope they are not widely introduced, air travel remains one of the last sanctuaries and long may it continue [}:)]
#80740 by xenole
13 Oct 2005, 13:21
Originally posted by fozzyo
Please ... no phones!! I guess at least there is some common sense prevailing, just weather or not companies will listen to the pax or see the £££ signs and hear the opening the Are You Being Served theme.

A quick adecdote about mobiles, on United once laded and taxing it is apparently ok to use your mobile, but no other electrical equipment like an iPod. Apparently listening to music could affect the aircraft but making a telephone call with all those radio waves coming out is ok.

Mat xxx

On my last internal US flight, quite a few people were still using iPods during take-off and landing. I had my headphones on at the same time and none of the cabin crew said a thing about it. Don't really see how an iPod would affect radio systems anyway.

As for mobile phones / cells, I can imagine someone sitting next to you for 8 hours chatting about meaningless garbage or getting phoned up every few minutes assuming things went that way :(

Some airlines won't let you use any mobile phones until you reach the gate.........not that it seems to stop anyone as on every internal flight I've ever flown, as soon as we slowed down and started to taxi, pretty much every phone in the aircraft was being used including incoming calls.
#80802 by mitchja
13 Oct 2005, 22:42
It's not the fact an iPod effects on-board systems (maybe it will, maybe it wont) - more importantly, you need to be in a position to hear and understand any instructions given out by the crew in case of an emergancy.

Regards
#80818 by slinky09
14 Oct 2005, 00:10
Originally posted by mitchja
It's not the fact an iPod effects on-board systems (maybe it will, maybe it wont) - more importantly, you need to be in a position to hear and understand any instructions given out by the crew in case of an emergancy.

Regards

Understand that ... but are you more alert to instructions or signals when on the phone? Smacks of inconsistency to me.

No to phones on board says I ... very reassured by the survey and I hope Virgin listens.
Virgin Atlantic