Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#741918 by willd
06 Apr 2010, 13:52
So we have now seen the confirmation from VS that a couple of new routes will be opened up ex MAN. As has been said in other posts, it is hardly a great surprise, and surely eventually we may see GLA following the route of MAN.

However this does throw up some very interesting questions with regards to fleet allocation.

From discussions on the MAN thread it seems that 2x744 and a 333 will be needed to operate the MAN routes. Will VS decide to permanently base these aircraft at MAN or will we see the current rotation system that works pretty well currently just be extended?

And what will be the split of these 330s. We still do not know if the 330s are replacement a/c or additional a/c which does not help clarify the position.

So what are peoples thoughts? Are we going to see say 3-4 333's used for LGW/MAN and the rest used ex LHR as well as for possible Africa expansion?
#741920 by Neil
06 Apr 2010, 13:54
I can't see MAN having it's own specific a/c, surely it still makes sense for them to rotate with the LGW fleet. It seems to work pretty well now doing that, so would make sense to just continue it, on a larger scale.
#742064 by mike-smashing
07 Apr 2010, 16:55
The airline would want to rotate aircraft for maintenance purposes, as Virgin's main engineering bases (i.e. with hangars and stuff) are at Heathrow and Gatwick.

The Manchester VS line station is really only capable of transit checks and simple maintenance work.

Unless there are other flights in the flying programme from MAN, the aircraft would also have to position in from one of the London airports to work the MAN-LAS flights anyway.

Mike
#742098 by Bill S
07 Apr 2010, 22:36
The mix of one daily 744 plus one (YWY) 333 to MCO raises an interesting issue - Only 14 J in a total of some 800 pax!

That is if its an LGW config. 744....
#742102 by Aaron
07 Apr 2010, 23:27
Bill S wrote:The mix of one daily 744 plus one (YWY) 333 to MCO raises an interesting issue - Only 14 J in a total of some 800 pax!

Have I missed something or do we definately know the A333's are without J seats?
#742116 by slinky09
08 Apr 2010, 07:04
Aaron wrote:
Bill S wrote:The mix of one daily 744 plus one (YWY) 333 to MCO raises an interesting issue - Only 14 J in a total of some 800 pax!

Have I missed something or do we definately know the A333's are without J seats?

VS said the A333s would feature J in the PR at the time. Various rumours have floated around here, with no substantiation, that there won't be J (including Bill's!) - we are not expecting this.
Virgin Atlantic