Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#742310 by tontybear
09 Apr 2010, 13:49
In the centrefold(!) of todays Guardian (the proper Manchester one) is a pic of a Dreamliner in the Boeing Factory during a 'wing up-bending (sic) test'

Can't find it on-line though at the moment but will post link when I do !
#742316 by tontybear
09 Apr 2010, 14:04
Thanks Crispin

Thats the pic in the Guardian.

Chris
#742351 by Aaron
09 Apr 2010, 16:26
I consider myself a decent flyer, I don't get nervous/scared etc, infact I love the thrill of it all. I take an interest in how planes work and through FSX I have a fairly basic knowledge on flying... yet if I was sat in the plane and the wings were doing that, I think I might just have a heart attack!
#742359 by eejp1007
09 Apr 2010, 17:33
I remember a diagram in my A-level Physics text book showing how much the wings could bend and retain structural integrity. I hope they can replace the diagram with that picture as it really illustrates how much tolerance is in wings and (touch wood) we never get near their limits.
#742384 by Scrooge
09 Apr 2010, 20:33
Ok, that's a picture of the wing load test, it has to go to 150% of it's normal bend without failing to pass.

Just a bit of info, but the 380 failed this test, but they were able to show that with a couple of small changes it would pass.

Another picture of the wing bending

LINK

The video of the first landing really showed the wing flex on this bird, the approach had a great view of the wing bend, when the spoilers came up they really unloaded and dropped quickly.

LINK
Virgin Atlantic