Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#744728 by suzanneme
29 Apr 2010, 18:52
For some reason I found myself wondering this afternoon how pilots get the nose of the plane to go up (and the tail down) for take off - can anyone shed some light? I assume there isn't a big ball bearing that rolls down to the back (!), but can't think what achieves this effect. I'm not the most technically minded, so simple explanation if possible please.

TIA!
#744730 by mh1
29 Apr 2010, 19:04
Once the plane reaches the required take off speed (calculated using the weight of the aircraft) the pilot will pull back thus moving the elevators.

The elevators control the pitch of the aircraft. i.e. when the pilot pulls back the elevators will rise making the nose pitch upwards.

Elevators are basically flaps, often found in the tail section of the plane on the smaller 'wing'

Hope this helps
#744731 by tontybear
29 Apr 2010, 19:06
It sort of happens automatically due to the speed of the plane and the airflow over the wings that causes the plane to lift off the runway and then maintain its flight.

Its just phyiscs

I found this by google search

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/howplaneswork.html
#744732 by Bill S
29 Apr 2010, 19:08
An aircraft has some large flaps of metal at the back which can tilt called elevators for pitch up and down at the back of the horizontal stabiliser and a rudder for sideways movement.
There are also moveable surfaces on each wing that tilt the wings of the aircraft and allow it to turn.

Stick your hand out of a car window and tilt up and down - imagine that force on the tail of an aircraft.
#744733 by suzanneme
29 Apr 2010, 19:17
Thanks for the speedy replies and explanations. Embarrassed to admit that I didn't realise the tail had bits that move too....I suppose because you can't see it on board, unlike the wings! All understood now, many thanks.
Virgin Atlantic