Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#746942 by Mandy Hall
30 May 2010, 19:30
Just picked this up from another forum.

The accident report for Flight 1549's ditching on the Hudson in 2009 has been published.

Interesting reading especially about the number of individuals who ignore either the safety card / briefing or both...

M
#746962 by buns
31 May 2010, 06:15
I am afraid to admit that Mrs Bund and I always folow the safety briefings :|

Stems from the time - way back - when the crew of a BA flight to Geneva noticed how we did pay close attention and as a consequence, paid close attention to us during the flight, ensuring we were always well stocked with beverages :w

buns
#746967 by Mandy Hall
31 May 2010, 09:25
I do!

TBH and may sound very anal but the briefing card is the first thing I pick up when I've sat down and fastened my seat belt...

I'm so anal about this that on both VS flights this time, I had my seat belt fastened and then had to unfasten it as there was an announcement on the PA that as they were still refuelling, seat belts had to be remain unfastened until they'd finished.
#746974 by Decker
31 May 2010, 11:52
+1 - always follow the video and read the card. This really helps when flying domestic in the US as things are so different from aircraft to aircraft. And I count the rows to the exit :)
#746976 by RK
31 May 2010, 12:01
I must admit to not paying much attention to it on the VS Airbus aircraft because I fly on them so frequently.

However, in July I will be flying from Gatwick on a 747 for the first time in a long time, so will be paying attention to the video/card.
#746979 by Darren Wheeler
31 May 2010, 12:53
Decker wrote:+1 - always follow the video and read the card. This really helps when flying domestic in the US as things are so different from aircraft to aircraft. And I count the rows to the exit :)

Same here. That way, in reduced visibility, I know which is the exit row.

Not only do I watch it for my safety, but it's rude not to.
#746983 by honey lamb
31 May 2010, 13:34
Ditto me
#746985 by pjh
31 May 2010, 13:57
Another +1. I could probably recite the EZY safety briefing for the A319 if pressed into service but, as Darren says, it is rude not to pay attention.
#747070 by crispin
01 Jun 2010, 05:21
Bill S,

Yes - I was thinking earlier that I'm not sure in a hurry I would know where it was (in the ottoman right?). I'm generally a W or Y traveler so they are easier to find there - and I do pay attention to that bit as well :)

Crispin
#747073 by ukcobra
01 Jun 2010, 08:01
I always try to sit in a direct line of sight to an exit, and know where my life vest is.

You never know when you might have to use it.

And as boring as that might seem, this is why I also limit my alcohol intake on board.
#747085 by Tinkerbelle
01 Jun 2010, 11:57
Even though I know all the aircraft types VS fly inside out, I always watch the safety video every time I fly as a passenger.

It really annoys me when you get some passengers who think they're too good/important to watch it - it only takes a few minutes out of the six hours plus that you're going to be onboard.
#747102 by slinky09
01 Jun 2010, 13:13
I'm not perfect, sometimes my mind drifts when watching the VS safety video, again ... 11 times this year so far for example. I think they should run two or three so that there's some difference to keep attention.

I do always take note of the FAs, check out exit locations, life belt, and if on a new type of plane follow with added attention.

And, I do find it foolish for those people, especially in the US, who pick up their newspaper and obliterate the screens / FAs during the demonstration.
#747105 by Tinkerbelle
01 Jun 2010, 13:21
slinky09 wrote:And, I do find it foolish for those people, especially in the US, who pick up their newspaper and obliterate the screens / FAs during the demonstration.

Sad to say that you see most people reading newspapers in Upper Class.
#747562 by DarkAuror
07 Jun 2010, 14:22
It was great to see my little Apprentice taking out his safety card as he got in to his seat. on our flights last week. He noticed that our plane could land on grass (as he put it) and the sea. :D

Can never start them too young to get in the habit of plane safety.

He did embarrass a pax in front of us by announcing to the CC that the pax was reading his newspaper and not looking at her during the safety demo. :| :0 ):
#747567 by Mandy Hall
07 Jun 2010, 14:36
DA,

It was great to see my little Apprentice taking out his safety card as he got in to his seat. on our flights last week. He noticed that our plane could land on grass (as he put it) and the sea. :D

Took my oldest (8) on a BA flight last year and he picked up the card and watched the safety video with great interest and then spent a significant portion of the rest of the flight (51 mins) pointing out bits of the plane that could be useful to know in a crash. He took great glee in pointing out the bit of the overhead panel where the O2 masks would come from. The passenger on the aisle seat began to look a bit nervous after a while :w

Hmm ... must stop him watching Aircrash Investigations.... :w
#747606 by roadrunner
08 Jun 2010, 02:10
I feel confident that I can lipsynch (and kick off my high heels) nearly every word of the VS safety video but that doesn't mean I know how to walk on wings after a terrifying crash landing.
#747667 by Roxy-Popsy
08 Jun 2010, 21:19
I do pay attention & get quietly narked about those who don't.

It's the same as I always go to my hotel room looking for the exits on the way in. Then, I look at the emergency exit directions on the back of the hotel room door. Then, just to irritate myself, I look at the plan of the floor which shows the exits - & it also shows how big the rooms are on that floor & I always like to know that I've got the biggest room/best view. :w

When we stayed at the Hilton Caledonian 3 weeks ago, there was a fire alarm late at night & I was so relieved I'd taken note. It was most distressing that we became caught up in the evacuation of a wheelchair bound man who couldn't walk at all.

On a lighter note, when the all clear was given & one of the fire crews returned to their vehicle they'd locked themselves out :0 ?| :?

R-P
Virgin Atlantic