Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#750157 by Mandy Hall
15 Jul 2010, 08:41
Question from older son (8 going on 100) about airport codes.

He understands where LHR, NCL, MAN and LGW (for example) come from but has to ask the question why is LAX, LAX... (I'm presuming it was because there was already another LA airport code in existence...)

I do have to ask the question why is Durham Tees-Valley (formerly Teesside) MME (which caused all sorts of problems at a JFK check in one day...)

Anyone shed any light or point me to a discussion elsewhere?

Thanks!!

M
#750161 by RedVee
15 Jul 2010, 09:45
Hi Mandy

This http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html will help with the LAX question. As for MME, Wiki says it was an RAF station up to 1964, called Middleton St George since 1941 (before that Goosepool) and then opened as a civil airport in 1966. I still can't work out MME from Middleton though - maybe Middleton, Middlesbrough, England?
Regards
R3dV
Last edited by RedVee on 15 Jul 2010, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
#750162 by tontybear
15 Jul 2010, 09:55
I am from Stockton and part of Teesside Airport (I refuse to call it that OTHER name!) is within the borough boundaries.

Indeed 5 local authorities are major shareholders.

Teesside was once a staging post for transatlantic flights too.

Teesside started out as an RAF airbase - RAF Middleton St George - so I think thats where the MME designation came from.
#750166 by DarkAuror
15 Jul 2010, 10:59
RedVee wrote:Hi Mandy

This http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html will help with the LAX question. As for MME, Wiki says it was an RAF station up to 1964, called Middleton St George since 1941 (before that Goosepool) and then opened as a civil airport in 1966. I still can't work out MME from Middleton though - maybe Middleton, Middlesbrough, England?
Regards
R3dV

Very interesting, always wondered why Canadian airports were prefixed with "Y".
#750177 by Mandy Hall
15 Jul 2010, 15:08
Redvee,
Thanks for that very quick answer - I'll print it out for him :) (and for me!)

Tonty,

I am from Stockton and part of Teesside Airport (I refuse to call it that OTHER name!) is within the borough boundaries.

When I first heard the DTV monicker - I thought what another airport in the area? I live up the road (ie A1) from Stockton. I've flown from Teeside a few times - down to London - which alas they don't serve anymore if I'm correct...
#750190 by tontybear
15 Jul 2010, 17:33
Mandy Hall wrote:Tonty,

When I first heard the DTV monicker - I thought what another airport in the area? I live up the road (ie A1) from Stockton. I've flown from Teeside a few times - down to London - which alas they don't serve anymore if I'm correct...

Yes BMI (LHR) and BMI Baby (LGW) pulled out a couple of years ago - a great shame. There was a recent start up to fly to LCY but I read that the owners were arrested for fraud before a flight had even taken off !
#750191 by CHill710
15 Jul 2010, 18:39
RedVee wrote:Hi Mandy

Regards
R3dV

thanks for that i have wondered for quite a while why Orlando is MCO

Chris
Virgin Atlantic