Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#752244 by tontybear
10 Aug 2010, 18:51
locutus wrote:It's getting a lot of negative comments on Facebook. I wonder if anyone at VS is wondering if they've made a mistake venturing into these social sites where users can provide such public feedback.

More people 'liked' it than commented but lots of the comments are generally positibe

But one of the sensibles ones is

It's just logo. Last time I checked, you don't fly on a logo.

Oh but thats from one 'Darren Wheeler' !
#752245 by hstansbury
10 Aug 2010, 19:13
Look at it from a strictly business decision:

1. Removing the purple fade and winglets reduces costs painting details (the Varga girl is a sticker).
2. A lighter fuselage absorbs less heat, lowering AC costs.
3. The new logo's font matches the font used in communications materials (brand consistency).
4. New logo fills a square better (avatars, icons, etc.)
Last edited by hstansbury on 10 Aug 2010, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.
#752247 by hstansbury
10 Aug 2010, 19:14
Also, let's assume for a minute that VS and LH have long been in discussions to merge BD into VS, creating short-haul European feeder traffic. And let's assume the European markets are less familiar with VS....

1. VS starts its anti-BA/AA campaign to maintain its "consumer champion" positioning (knowing it will be approved).

2. VS then says "the ATI may force us to merge" (which it is already planning).

3. Immediately after the ATI is approved, the next plane in for a repaint comes out with a "less nationalistic, more Virgin" livery:

• Removal of "Britain's Flag Carrier" for less British, more European appeal.

• Removal of Union Jack winglets for less British, more European appeal.

• Oversized lettering, "for all you new folks who haven't heard of us."

Result: VS saves face joining "the big boys," and appears more relevant to new European markets.
#752282 by honey lamb
10 Aug 2010, 22:11
I'm waiting to see G-VROC flying overhead to be able to see Virgin Atlantic on the underbelly
#752688 by tontybear
15 Aug 2010, 12:29
flashgordon wrote:Tontybear - you can't dislike things on facebook. Only like.

Yes I know. There really should be a 'dislike' button on FB along with a "I really can't be ar*ed" button too !
#752830 by willd
16 Aug 2010, 19:16
hstansbury wrote:Also, let's assume for a minute that VS and LH have long been in discussions to merge BD into VS, creating short-haul European feeder traffic. And let's assume the European markets are less familiar with VS....

1. VS starts its anti-BA/AA campaign to maintain its "consumer champion" positioning (knowing it will be approved).

2. VS then says "the ATI may force us to merge" (which it is already planning).

3. Immediately after the ATI is approved, the next plane in for a repaint comes out with a "less nationalistic, more Virgin" livery:

• Removal of "Britain's Flag Carrier" for less British, more European appeal.

• Removal of Union Jack winglets for less British, more European appeal.

• Oversized lettering, "for all you new folks who haven't heard of us."

Result: VS saves face joining "the big boys," and appears more relevant to new European markets.

Oh please.

For a minute lets just look at how LH have used BD in the last couple of years.

BD is no longer the carrier it was circa 3-6 years ago. BD have cut frequencies from UK and Eire airports (DUB and LBA to name but two) and increased services on routes that suit the LH Group as a whole (flying flights for LX/LH). If anyone has seen the latest BD inflight mag, it is all about their new services to German and Austrian destinations. The first thing that hits you on the BD website is "destinations such as Vienna and Berlin". LH will use BD to help its continental Europe dominance and leave it to operate the niche mid haul routes. I am sure the LH execs see BD passengers connecting to LH long haul services in FRA or MUC rather than it acquiring VS.

IMHO BD in its current state would not be as great as many think. What VS need is domestic feed and feed from relatively close European countries plus the slots. This is exactly what BD offered 3-5 years ago. These days BD is much more about operating short haul routes on behalf of the LH group and concentrating on niche mid haul markets.

And lets not forget that if VS got into bed with LH, who is to say that LH will leave VS alone?
#752869 by tonywestsider
17 Aug 2010, 06:30
IMO: The purple surround scheme on the VS tail is dated and unnecessary. The all red tail with the "Virgin" logo is simple and effective. The new "billboard" style VS logo on the fuselage is difficult to like. I agree with others that the lettering could be thicker on the new VS logo. Right now, the thin lettering located against the plane's windows look really busy. I wouldn't mind seeing thicker lettering and a more muted red against the new high performance silver paint.
#752921 by Alex V
17 Aug 2010, 12:35
DarkAuror wrote:Here's a pic from LHR.

41401w.jpg

That picture is as much about the plane as it is about british summertime weather, there is very few pictures on the web showing off the new colours in the glorious sunshine that vs would have wanted.

cheers
alex
#752926 by DarkAuror
17 Aug 2010, 12:57
Alex V wrote:
DarkAuror wrote:Here's a pic from LHR.

41401w.jpg

That picture is as much about the plane as it is about british summertime weather, there is very few pictures on the web showing off the new colours in the glorious sunshine that vs would have wanted.

cheers
alex

According to the site where I got the pic from it was taken 7.16am this morning.
#752941 by honey lamb
17 Aug 2010, 13:25
DarkAuror wrote:
According to the site where I got the pic from it was taken 7.16am this morning.

Erm, if you took it from a website perhaps you should have posted a link as there may well be copyright issues
#752947 by DarkAuror
17 Aug 2010, 14:07
honey lamb wrote:
DarkAuror wrote:

Erm, if you took it from a website perhaps you should have posted a link as there may well be copyright issues

Ooops! Good point, I'll shall rectify it now. :|
#752948 by DarkAuror
17 Aug 2010, 14:12
DarkAuror wrote:
honey lamb wrote:
DarkAuror wrote:

Ooops! Good point, I'll shall rectify it now. :|

Now done!
#752969 by CHill710
17 Aug 2010, 15:09
jubjubbird wrote:Just need a shot to see the full effect of the belly livery :?

you can sort of see the belly here
Link To Photo
#752979 by Dave2009
17 Aug 2010, 17:23
It sounds a bit silly in me saying this but I really am dissapointed in Virgin removing the Union Jack from the end of the wing, I can understand why they want a new livery but i've always thought this was a nice little touch on the current livery
#752985 by Bill S
17 Aug 2010, 18:03
CHill710 wrote:you can sort of see the belly here
Link To Photo

That also seems to show the blotchy paint on the tail.

I wonder if/when they will be redoing it; probably not until VS have some spare capacity.
#753509 by DarkAuror
24 Aug 2010, 10:52
Well, while waiting for my BA flight from T5 yesterday, I saw the new livery as G-VROC took off and I must admit in the flesh, it definitely stands out and looks really good.
#753510 by DL901
24 Aug 2010, 11:24
Is there a schedule for these repaints out there? I would so love to see a A346 with the new paint scheme on next.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case where only 5-6 B744s gets repainted and that's it. Cos that would be a bit well... pathetic and utterly pointless exercise.
#753515 by virginboy747
24 Aug 2010, 11:55
Maybe G-VGOA will be done when she returns from Manila?

Also interestingly Virgin America are now painting the stars and stripes on their A320s wingtips!!! So why oh why have VS removed the Union Jack?
#753516 by clarkeysntfc
24 Aug 2010, 11:56
I'm off to JFK on the VS45 in April 2011, haven't been on a 747 since July '07 when we went to Vegas, quite looking forward to it for some reason!
#753538 by Bill S
24 Aug 2010, 14:33
virginboy747 wrote:...Virgin America are now painting the stars and stripes on their A320s wingtips!!! So why oh why have VS removed the Union Jack?

Boss having affair with beancounter ?? ):
#753546 by slinky09
24 Aug 2010, 15:48
Bill S wrote:
virginboy747 wrote:...Virgin America are now painting the stars and stripes on their A320s wingtips!!! So why oh why have VS removed the Union Jack?

Boss having affair with beancounter ?? ):

Oooh the things I could tell :w .
Virgin Atlantic