Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#755262 by Lizz
13 Sep 2010, 18:05
We have these on finnair at work and although I've never come across one I've heard they're as much of a pain as internet boarding cards.
#755263 by rich1664
13 Sep 2010, 18:12
I used it on Swissair flying out of LYC - it seemed to work fine.

(My printed ones often get refused, but I think that's down to having a printer at home that is older than the pyramids!)
#755265 by locutus
13 Sep 2010, 18:40
I've used them on the HEX and they never scan, the ticket collector grabs your phone, presses something on the screen by accident, something else pops up, and you have to take your phone back and find the image again, zoom in on the barcode, and try and scan it again. Not sure it's a great improvement.
#755266 by slinky09
13 Sep 2010, 18:48
rich1664 wrote:... but I think that's down to having a printer at home that is older than the pyramids!)

That's just not possible :o) .
#755268 by rich1664
13 Sep 2010, 18:55
slinky09 wrote:
rich1664 wrote:... but I think that's down to having a printer at home that is older than the pyramids!)

That's just not possible :o) .

Okaaaay.....

You could build a pyramid quicker than you can print a ten page document using my printer.... is that better? ;)
#755269 by mitchja
13 Sep 2010, 19:54
I've used the BMI mobile boarding passes for about 12 months now and in general they work very well. Only had one instance I can think off where my iPhone screen could not be scanned.

The biggest problem seems to be the crew who check them as you board the A/C. I often get comments like 'Oh no, not another one of those....'
#755273 by rich1664
13 Sep 2010, 20:19
Tinkerbelle wrote:Call me old fashioned but you can't beat an old style boarding card freshly printed at a check-in desk. :)

Quite agree, but it's the airlines that want us to do everything ourselves from OLCI,printing your own boarding card, tagging your own luggage, dropping it off..... do you think they'll ask us to fly the plane soon?! ;)
#755274 by CHill710
13 Sep 2010, 20:26
Tinkerbelle wrote:Call me old fashioned but you can't beat an old style boarding card freshly printed at a check-in desk. :)

i agree with tinkerbelle on this one,
as a passenger who has used a mobile boarding pass on a BD domestic flight and had problems every time my old Nokia screen would not scan.
a proper boarding pass issued by a person behind a desk is in my opinion the best type as you get a personal service rather than problems with scanning internet or mobile passes or problems locating your booking on a self service terminal in the airport (as i did when traveling with air france in july).
#755282 by Lizz
13 Sep 2010, 23:13

I couldn't agree more! From my point of view, they're so much easier to deal with, no folding and ripping paper and such and the biggie, people who check in online then decide to not travel. Many times I have been at a gate at silly o'clock wondering where the passenger is and would you believe it, they couldn't be bothered to show up or let anyone know :(!
Not to mention if airlines made passengers do everything themselves I'd soon be out of a job!
#755283 by pjh
13 Sep 2010, 23:16
Tinkerbelle wrote:I also still have my boarding passes going back years - I tend to keep them all as a memento of that particular trip.

Me too...

These new fangled mobile things are also chuff all use in persuading your expense department that you actually took the flight you're expensing...
#755294 by MarkedMan
14 Sep 2010, 01:19
I don't mind in principle, as at least with UA you get an email with the BP/barcode and can thus keep a record of sorts. Like Napamatt's experience illustrates, however, 3G phones in particular use up charge like there's no tomorrow, and what's the point of having one of these if I'm supposed to NOT do the things I buy it for, like checking email and so on, in case I lose my charge before I board? Fortunately UA scatters customer service desks airside where you can print boarding passes if need be. I tried it once, and didn't see much benefit either. If anything I go out of my way to find the check in machines that will print tickets in rigid cardboard stock :)
#755329 by napamatt
14 Sep 2010, 14:50
No problems to report, it was simple to scan at security then on boarding the plane. Maybe the new droid screen resolution was an improvement but no issues, certainly less than with BP's printed at home.
#775457 by samfarmer
16 Apr 2011, 22:45

Indeed - and it fits perfectly into the book you have just bought in WH Smiths.

I used the IPhone scanner thing on a flight with BMI - good idea but the chap in security roared at me to turn my phone off in the 'secure area' - so not the best!!
#775525 by tontybear
17 Apr 2011, 11:58
Keep the paper - especially a nicely printed purple BP !

The ones that several people have reported that gate staff have seen during the scrum that is supposed to be priority boarding and rescued said BP holder.
#775590 by willd
17 Apr 2011, 19:37
Hmmm given that security staff at MCO still dont accept 'print at home boarding passes' I cannot see our good friends at TSA MCO taking too kindly to a boarding pass on a mobile phone screen! God bless the TSA.
#776633 by tonywestsider
27 Apr 2011, 05:59
samfarmer wrote:

Indeed - and it fits perfectly into the book you have just bought in WH Smiths.

I used the IPhone scanner thing on a flight with BMI - good idea but the chap in security roared at me to turn my phone off in the 'secure area' - so not the best!!

I don't mind doing the bar code thing on some short haul flights. But for long haul, oh please! I'm even more old fashioned than others. I like the card stock boarding passes printed at the airport checkin desk and I am still a firm believer in ticket jackets! Yes, ticket jackets that are beautifully designed and printed where you can spot from a mile off so that you know where you put them and don't lose them and at the same time, have all of the printed rules and regs for "Contract of Carriage" at your fingertips. So there! :D
#776998 by AlanA
01 May 2011, 20:34
tontybear wrote:Keep the paper - especially a nicely printed purple BP !

The ones that several people have reported that gate staff have seen during the scrum that is supposed to be priority boarding and rescued said BP holder.

What we need is an app that turns your phone into a flashing Purple baording card so you can hold it up in the scrum to get priority boarding :o)

The Tesco Clubcard is equally useless and they cannot get it to scan half the time
Virgin Atlantic