Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#755310 by contractor
14 Sep 2010, 12:15
Hi,

While on holiday I asked my travel agent to change my departure back to the UK by 24 hours.

On the VA website I was able to put in my existing reference and change my seats on the new flight accordingly. Later on when I tried to use the online check-in facility I was told this wasn't available and to check in at the airport as normal.

On arriving at the check-in desk we were flagged as PNR (passenger not recognised?). I was then advised that although the booking was changed the ticket had not been reissued and I could not fly. As it was 5AM UK time and my agent was closed I had to buy two K tickets to get home (only one flight a day).

Can anyone explain to me the differences between booking changes and ticket issuances please. I've contacted my agent who is investigating this but I want to understand the mechanics of this incase the agent resists refunding me.

Thanks,

Andy
#755312 by contractor
14 Sep 2010, 12:31
It was a K ticket. When I went to change it myself through Virgin I was told that I could not do it, only the Travel Agent could do it, at a cost of 120/person, which I duly paid to the agent.
#755313 by Nottingham Nick
14 Sep 2010, 12:44
K fares are certainly changeable for the £120 fee, according to the VS website.

I hope you have a full record of all of your conversations and copies of all documentation issued to you by your TA. As you say, your claim is against the TA and - if they didn't rebook you, as they said they had, then I think you have a claim - but that area of the law isn't my area of expertise.

Others may be able to offer better advice.

Nick
#755314 by contractor
14 Sep 2010, 12:50
Nick, thanks for the advice. My thinking and position is that my contract is with the TA and not with any part of their supply-chain (IE Virgin). The end result is that I was denied boarding and they are responsible for this. I have the money they have taken from my credit card for the hotel extension and airline changes as primary proof.

I'm more interested to understand how something can appear to have been rebooked but not actually be valid for travel. I guess it's more of a booking-ticketing-travelling process question.

/Andy
#755320 by PeterStansfield
14 Sep 2010, 13:11
Hi

If it's any consolation, we (and I consider myself as a 'savvy' flyer fell for this in the Ash days. We'd got reward travel booked on Malaysian, via Virgin points. I got Malaysian to change the flights, which they did, but we nearly got stuck in Perth, as Malaysian there were Adamant that I should have got Virgin to reissue the tickets to match the (new) reservations

So now, if anything is changed, I ask for new (e)tickets - am I being over conservative here?

Peter
Virgin Atlantic