Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#774036 by jwhite9185
05 Apr 2011, 18:09
When/if the LGW 747's are refitted does anybody know weather they will get V-port or the new system fitted to the A330's? And will the LHR fleet be retrofitted with the new system?
#774038 by Neil
05 Apr 2011, 18:44
There hasn't been any confirmation or rumours about this. You would imagine that the LGW fleet would get the new IFE.

I can't see the LHR fleet been upgraded anytime soon though, V-Port is still a good system and the cost to replace would just be too high to make sense.
#774044 by slinky09
05 Apr 2011, 20:37
Neil wrote:There hasn't been any confirmation or rumours about this. You would imagine that the LGW fleet would get the new IFE.

I can't see the LHR fleet been upgraded anytime soon though, V-Port is still a good system and the cost to replace would just be too high to make sense.

Why shouldn't we press / demand for the new system? Customer power and all that - you're too passive Neil (and VS defensive) :o) .

When the new UCS comes next year, it presents a good chance to standardize the IFE.
#774046 by mitchja
05 Apr 2011, 20:51
slinky09 wrote:
When the new UCS comes next year, it presents a good chance to standardize the IFE.

...what like the VS livery you mean ;) How many are there now, 5?
#774047 by Hamster
05 Apr 2011, 20:54
virginboy747 wrote:LGW fleet will be getting the new IFE system

Well that's good, any info on how big UC screen will be, or what controller will be used?

slinky09 wrote:When the new UCS comes next year, it presents a good chance to standardize the IFE.

That is if they do come next year! Haven't heard much recently
There were plans for a new amenity pack last year but that never happened and haven't heard anything else about them.
#774050 by Neil
05 Apr 2011, 21:21
slinky wrote:
Why shouldn't we press / demand for the new system? Customer power and all that - you're too passive Neil (and VS defensive) :o) .

Realist is the word I would use :)

Of course it would be great to have the new IFE rolled out across the whole fleet, but experience shows that is highly unlikely to happen. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but for now I would settle with some confirmed timelines for the LGW refits, which will put the whole fleet on some sort of level playing field.
#774051 by Nottingham Nick
05 Apr 2011, 21:25
In this day of iPad, DS, PSP etc. etc. Is the IFE really the major part of the travel experience that it was a few years ago?

Would sooner they spent the money on better food and deep cleans. :D :w

Nick
#774055 by tontybear
05 Apr 2011, 21:43
We have all been spoilt rotten !

There was a time that overhead TVs all showing the SAME film was regarded as cutting edge !
#774059 by Guest
05 Apr 2011, 21:56
You have to say though that inner cabin wise, furnishings, seating and ife virgin are now being left in the dust when it comes to the competition. I used to be very pro virgin however that was before I had flown with anyone else.

I have since flown with Singapore air and Emirates on a couple of flights and I have to say the difference is incredible in terms of comfort and entertainment. You have to say the thing is when these airlines do roll out a new system, such as Emirates with their Ice system (best IFE system I've ever used, so much choice and so easy to use as well as being a nice big screen even in economy) and Singapore with their Krisworld (almost as good) they do tend to roll it out over the whole fleet. This has been good for them as there is not so many mixed reviews some bad some good depending on what plane you get.

If virgin are rolling out this new IFE it would be best if they rolled it out on every plane and finally end the age old problem of the Virgin Atlantic customer, what plane will I get? I hope I don't get Nova, lol :P

They have a lot of catching up to do with these kind of things and to be honest I'm surprised they've been left so far behind, a company that prides itself on breaking barriers I mean.
#774067 by pjh
05 Apr 2011, 22:47
Nottingham Nick wrote:In this day of iPad, DS, PSP etc. etc. Is the IFE really the major part of the travel experience that it was a few years ago?

I think that's a key point, though there still may be a demand to provide (a) inseat power and (b) an interface to a backseat screen. The "cutting edge" may be to just provide these rather than the content....
#774069 by omslemming
05 Apr 2011, 23:05
I disagree with that in a way, I mean take my iPad, i'll bring it on my flight sure, but if the IFE is good I would rather use that, just because i's going to have stuff on it I haven't seen/used/played before.

Your iPad is usually full of stuff you've watched plenty of times. I'm certainly not going to download 20-30 quids worth of tv episodes and movies just to take on a flight so i've got something new to watch, .and that's where the IFE niche lies.
#774252 by pjh
06 Apr 2011, 22:47
omslemming wrote:I disagree with that in a way, I mean take my iPad, i'll bring it on my flight sure, but if the IFE is good I would rather use that, just because i's going to have stuff on it I haven't seen/used/played before.

Your iPad is usually full of stuff you've watched plenty of times. I'm certainly not going to download 20-30 quids worth of tv episodes and movies just to take on a flight so i've got something new to watch, .and that's where the IFE niche lies.

Granted for the moment, but I think that the growth in storage mechanisms and the acceleration of content availability in terms of both time and price (how quickly are things now available on download / DVD and how fast does the price fall when they do) means that the content itself will decrease in importance. In this case ultimately what is the value add of the IFE....should the investment be in access rather than content?
#778885 by MrSquare
18 May 2011, 18:05
Just a quicky that I picked up from the VS Facebook page, in reply to a complaint regarding the IFE the VS reply was this:

Our most up to date system is V:Port, which has the controls just below the TV screen - we are looking to re-fit the entire fleet with this.
Howard

Really? Are they seriously thinking about installing V:Port during these refits where people will now be expecting the latest Panasonic EX2 system?
#778887 by willd
18 May 2011, 18:09
MrSquare wrote:Just a quicky that I picked up from the VS Facebook page, in reply to a complaint regarding the IFE the VS reply was this:

Our most up to date system is V:Port, which has the controls just below the TV screen - we are looking to re-fit the entire fleet with this.
Howard

Really? Are they seriously thinking about installing V:Port during these refits where people will now be expecting the latest Panasonic EX2 system?

ANother example of VS right hand not talking to left. If this was posted after the new 330's arrived then the information is hugely out of date. "Virgin Loves" or whatever it is called is the latest system as on the 330s.
#778898 by MrSquare
18 May 2011, 18:37
Unfortunately, as much I would love for it to be out of date information the response was only posted 8 hours ago. ?| Now unless the LHR fleet are to replace the LGW / MAN fleet with their V:Port systems and LGW aircraft could be fitted with JAM and operated out of LHR?

Hopefully not, I don't want to join that 'Nobody cares about the LGW/MAN fleet' brigade...
#778901 by duggy83
18 May 2011, 18:41
MrSquare wrote:Unfortunately, as much I would love for it to be out of date information the response was only posted 8 hours ago. ?|

And that's why it's incorrect... they stated the latest system was V:Port, but it is infact JAM (ex2)!

It'll be ex2 installed during the refits.. would actually cost more to source and install a V:Port system as it's so (comparatively) out of date!
#778909 by tontybear
18 May 2011, 18:57
Neil wrote:New system is called JAM.

is that because its a big sticky mess?
#778910 by Neil
18 May 2011, 18:58
tontybear wrote:

Quite the opposite actually - it is fantastic.
#778911 by tontybear
18 May 2011, 19:00
Neil wrote:
tontybear wrote:

give it a few months of the screens not been cleaned properly!
#778914 by willd
18 May 2011, 19:10
Tinkerbelle wrote:
Neil wrote:

Speaking of which Neil, where is the TR?

Yes my thoughts exactly! Surely as one of the first to get on the 330 Neil we should be seeing pictures and a great write up ):
Virgin Atlantic