Don your anorak and get technical about airplanes.
#780922 by willd
03 Jun 2011, 14:00
On Twitter I follow a number of the Flightglobal publishing journalists, including Will Norton who specifically writers about Asian and Oceania aviation issues.

It now seems that a Japenesse seat manufacturer by the name of Koito has faked FAA required seat safety tests results. As a result the FAA have issued an Airworthiness Directive yesterday stating that all seats must be replaced in a two year time frame.

The list of arines caught by this include both VA and VS along with CX, SQ and CO to mention a few. Norton's article focuses on the impact of VA who will have to replace the seats on 4 of 5 of their 77Ws. Interestingly VA state it takes 19-22 months to complete a retrofit (presumably of their fleet) meaning they will have to in effect start the process in the next month or so. With a list of over twenty carriers including a lot of the big boys in Asia (and a380s) there is now talk of an aircraft seati g shortage and then there is the huge issues of the IFE systems within those seats. See here for the list complied in Feb before the FAA issued the directive: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/runwa ... rator.html

Apparently both the 744 and 340 fleets of VS are caught by this. I would imagine it's the older aircraft as IIRC Recaro are used in Y on the newer aircraft and of course Contour (who VS sued) designed the UCS in partnership with VS.

I fear this could have a huge impact on the LGW retrofit. If there is a shortage of seats in the first place but also because VS will have to prioritise those aircraft with the seats the FAA need to be replaced.
#780936 by McMaddog
03 Jun 2011, 15:28
I don't think it's quite that bad. The seats are themselves not compliant because they haven't been certified. VS must get them certified within 2 years or replace them. If they all fail the test then that's bad but otherwise it's a test and paperwork issue only.
#780937 by Luke085
03 Jun 2011, 15:31
Thanks for posting Will, interesting reading.

I really do hope this doesn't delay the LGW/Man refit, but unfortunately I see no alternative!
#780967 by tontybear
03 Jun 2011, 18:22
jwhite9185 wrote:Couldn't they get around the problem by not flying the affected A/C to the USA?

Thats not really an option given the make up of the VS fleet and the pax loads.

Besides what usually happens is once the FAA rules most of the other regulators follow so even if VS could switch routes for these aircraft the regulators in the 'new' destination countries could still prevent their use.
#780970 by willd
03 Jun 2011, 18:46
McMaddog wrote:I don't think it's quite that bad. The seats are themselves not compliant because they haven't been certified. VS must get them certified within 2 years or replace them. If they all fail the test then that's bad but otherwise it's a test and paperwork issue only.

From my reading of the articles the seats where given certificates based on, what is now known to be, false test results. Therefore if the seats had the test tomorrow they would fail. The FAA have therefore revoked the certificate and asked carriers to make them compliant or take them out. From the various articles it seems that it is going to be tough to make those seats compliant because the seats won't pass the tests in the next two years. VA, CX and Boeing have all aksed the FAA to increase the time limit, presumably in an effort to get the seats to pass the test rather than ditch but the FAA have refused. Therefore VA, and it seems a lot of others, given the timescales are going to ditch them and get them replaced.

Airlines have been aware of this issue for a while, hence VA got their last 77W installed with different Y seats however the issue that has surprised the industry is the short amount of time the FAA are giving to get it sorted as well as the large number of carriers affected (it was thought to be around 20 carriers but is now more like 40 plus)
#780974 by tontybear
03 Jun 2011, 19:12
According to this dated yesterday the Japaneese regulator witnessed retests and no problems were found but the FAA are refusing to take these results into account or to retest the seats themselves.

It is also laughable that the FAA says it will only cost $ 850,000 to implement the directive. That might be admin time but not the cost of new seats !
Virgin Atlantic