This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#909314 by Eggtastico
01 Sep 2015, 09:13
Wondering if someone knows how I can check the landing time for VS10 on 7th August (actually took off on the 8th!)
Not sure if it was just over or just under 4 hour rule!
#909318 by Quick Hits 1c
01 Sep 2015, 09:59
I'm not sure how to retrieve the exact timings for that day but checking on euclaim.co.uk, your flight is listed by them as one that qualifies for compensation for breach of the rules. I wouldn't use euclaim of course; I'd just initiate the claim with VS.
#909324 by Neil
01 Sep 2015, 13:01
It landed at 13:18 when it was scheduled to arrive at 09:25, so that is a 3 hours 53 minute delay.
It did take off 4 hours 32mins late, but made up time during the flight to land just under the magical 4 hour mark.
#909331 by tontybear
01 Sep 2015, 13:18
It is doors opening and passengers being able to disembark time that matters not landing or gate arrival.

It's to prevent an airline just opening the doors to get an earlier time.
#909333 by Eggtastico
01 Sep 2015, 13:27
no ex-eu
it was all booked with reward miles.
Just the annoyance I missed my pre-booked train that cost £47 & had to shell out £271 for 2 new tickets.

Was caught in that grey area of phones not being allowed on - so could not 'move' my current train time.
Originally booked the 13.26 train & couldn't call them until just after 13:39 (that prob confirms we was just under the 4 hour delay).

Maybe I will raise a complain with virgin as Cabin Crew forgot about the Upper Class in the nose (there was only 4 of us) & we ended up getting off last. Though it will prob get me nowhere.
#909336 by gumshoe
01 Sep 2015, 14:45
Eggtastico wrote:Maybe I will raise a complain with virgin as Cabin Crew forgot about the Upper Class in the nose (there was only 4 of us) & we ended up getting off last.

How so? On the LHR 747s they normally hold back Y & PE until UC and the upper deck have deplaned through L2.
#909338 by Eggtastico
01 Sep 2015, 14:54
gumshoe wrote:
Eggtastico wrote:Maybe I will raise a complain with virgin as Cabin Crew forgot about the Upper Class in the nose (there was only 4 of us) & we ended up getting off last.

How so? On the LHR 747s they normally hold back Y & PE until UC and the upper deck have deplaned through L2.

because nobody came to told us the doors was opened. we couldn't see from the nose, it was only when we all got up & started moving around, getting our bags, etc. that someone came to told us. PE was empty & there was only a few left queuing as we got off.
This obviously had the knock on effect of getting to an area where I was allowed to use my phone.
#909350 by Eggtastico
01 Sep 2015, 16:56
gumshoe wrote:I can't say I've ever been on a flight where people needed telling! Seatbelt sign off = cue quick march to the exit to be off asap. I don't think I've ever waited to be invited to leave.

there was less than 150 people on board (guess most changed plans or got on other planes. They did check for us at the airport - but we was to late by then). Guess as the rule for compensation is doors open, they couldn't get them open quick enough & didn't hold people back. Probably needed the plane for a quick turn around as well...
My guess is judging by the Lounge at JFK there was less than 20 UC pax.

I wonder what the chances of taking a transatlantic flight to court & getting the same payout as US citizens would fair.
Up to 200% (max $640 for 2-4 hour delay) & 400% (up to $1200) after that.

Wonder if you could pick & Choose?
I would guess a non EU travelling citizen would be entitled to compensation under EU law. So what would stop someone claiming under US law?

As this was a miles fair - i would have no idea what 200% would represent!
#909352 by gumshoe
01 Sep 2015, 18:41
Sadly there is no entitlement to compensation for flight delays under US law, unless you were involuntarily bumped due to overbooking.

You can try complaining to VS in the hope of getting some miles as a goodwill gesture but legally they're not obliged to offer anything more than the EU261/2004 compensation. They're not responsible for consequential losses - that's what travel insurance is for.
#909390 by Eggtastico
02 Sep 2015, 16:07
gumshoe wrote:Sadly there is no entitlement to compensation for flight delays under US law, unless you were involuntarily bumped due to overbooking.

You can try complaining to VS in the hope of getting some miles as a goodwill gesture but legally they're not obliged to offer anything more than the EU261/2004 compensation. They're not responsible for consequential losses - that's what travel insurance is for.

na, just going to take what I am entitled to. Im quiting collecting V miles once I got enough to use for another flight anyway.
Virgin Atlantic