This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#913817 by cagcowboy
29 Nov 2015, 15:32
I flew into JFK for the first time in ages last night and used one of the new ESTA machines - but I'm not sure I see the point of them? Once I'd got my receipt I took it to an agent who asked me the same set of questions as the machine and took my finger prints and photo again - so no time saving at all really?

That being said - there was a large cross printed on the receipt the machine printed- right across the data that I'd entered - which didn't strike me as being normal? (Can't post a photo of it because the customs officer took it.)

Has anyone else have a big cross printed through their data?
#913818 by Hamster
29 Nov 2015, 15:34
The big cross means your entry via the machine didn't work, thats why you had the officer ask all the same questions again.
#913819 by cagcowboy
29 Nov 2015, 15:43
Hamster wrote:The big cross means your entry via the machine didn't work, thats why you had the officer ask all the same questions again.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Any idea why it might not have worked? So that I can get it to work next time? :D
#913820 by honey lamb
29 Nov 2015, 16:06
cagcowboy wrote:
Hamster wrote:The big cross means your entry via the machine didn't work, thats why you had the officer ask all the same questions again.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Any idea why it might not have worked? So that I can get it to work next time? :D

When I got a cross on my receipt, the agent explained to me that the alignment of the fingerprints did not match that with the previous entry which had been on a new passport and ESTA. Having taken them again he told me I should have no further problems - and I didn't.
#913821 by spacedog
29 Nov 2015, 16:17
I got a cross the first time I used the new machines. It was when I still had my previous passport and I looked quite different, so the facial recognition didn't work. There are lots of reasons why it fails and you have to go through clearance the regular way. Since I updated my passport I haven't had an issue :)
#913822 by AlphaEcho
29 Nov 2015, 17:14
I used the ESTA machine at JFK the other week, and as usual, no matter who does it, it took ages to read my fingerprints successfully. I even had someone come over to check and they couldn't get it to read them properly, tried different pressures, different positions and then it was happy. I thought it had given up and printed my receipt, but there was no large X on it.

Straight up to a booth, one question, "how long are you staying for" and I was through. Much quicker than waiting in line as usual even given how long it took the machine. I hope it works just as well or better at SFO next month.
#913833 by Blackbeard
29 Nov 2015, 21:13
Came through ATL just over a week ago and used the machine, we both managed to get a pass with our pictures, OK I did have to get some help before it would read my passport and thought we would be able to get in in record time, not so. We had to go though the same finger print and photo shot again including questions about why we were visiting, who were were visiting and why did we visit so often? We are retired, travel business or first and take long holidays, about a month at a time, I really did get the impression the US did not appreciate our financial contribution to their economy.
#913834 by tontybear
29 Nov 2015, 22:22
I had finger print issues too at MSP but the agent didn't ask me any other of the usual question just chit chat.

Wondering if it was because my last entry was at Shanon rather than proper US ?
#913835 by honey lamb
29 Nov 2015, 22:43
tontybear wrote:I had finger print issues too at MSP but the agent didn't ask me any other of the usual question just chit chat.

Tonty, Shannon and Dublin are "proper US". They are manned by US personnel and the procedure is no different than that in any other port of entry including YVR and YYC. The only difference is that because you are on a departing rather than an arriving flight, there are no horrendous queues and (in Dublin in particular) you are through in minutes. Shannon on the BA baby bus from LCY might be slightly different as there is, an albeit small, planeload to process.

Pre-clearance rocks!!
#913841 by Gerrym
30 Nov 2015, 05:20
Just landed at JFK tonight. From exiting plane, using passport scanning machines to waiting for baggage was 6 minutes.
I have applied for Global Entry, but not sure I see the advantage anymore!
#913846 by Smid
30 Nov 2015, 10:34
Only tried this once, my g/f succeeded. I was half asleep and it wasn't clear what hand to use for fingerprints, so I used my left hand rather than my right (not sure why). Got me a big X. I'd usually use my right hand I think....

I have been pulled aside past passport control twice in the last year, once for 5 minutes in Vegas, and nearly 20 minutes at Shannon on BA-1. Was fine in San Diego though in between..... So could be I'll always get the cross.
#913847 by tontybear
30 Nov 2015, 11:58
honey lamb wrote:
tontybear wrote:I had finger print issues too at MSP but the agent didn't ask me any other of the usual question just chit chat.

Tonty, Shannon and Dublin are "proper US". They are manned by US personnel and the procedure is no different than that in any other port of entry including YVR and YYC. The only difference is that because you are on a departing rather than an arriving flight, there are no horrendous queues and (in Dublin in particular) you are through in minutes. Shannon on the BA baby bus from LCY might be slightly different as there is, an albeit small, planeload to process.

Pre-clearance rocks!!

Indeed it does

By proper US I meant on us soil. It seams that some people have had issues with fingerprints so was just wondering if that could have been the reason - just like you had once I think arriving from YVR.

Anyway when it works is saves a load of faff though of course the more people that use it the slower it will become.
#913854 by Kraken
30 Nov 2015, 17:21
Back in May the automated machine in Orlando would not accept my passport at all - it's a normal 10yr UK biometric one. It just came up with "Invalid Country" error message. Thankfully I was able to join a shorter queue for "automated machine rejects" and was through pretty quickly.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 10 days time on my next trip to the Sunshine State.
#913866 by joeyc
01 Dec 2015, 02:40
honey lamb wrote:

Tonty, Shannon and Dublin are "proper US".

But they are not HL, they are in Ireland :-P .. Any number of things could be cause for question across continents.

Anyways back OT, my experiences with the ESTA machines have resulted in Xs through my info both times .... first time because of my photo (facial recognition for ya), second time because of a first use of the new passport. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly next time through the US border.
#913885 by mitchja
01 Dec 2015, 15:55
When I used them at SFO, virtually everyone's print out (including mine) in the queue had a cross on it. Clearly it's not a very robust system!!
#913901 by catsilversword
01 Dec 2015, 20:13
Do young children need to have ESTAs? My friend was asking me yesterday, her little ones are 6/7. My immediate thought was that they do, but they aren't likely to have a criminal record or anything, so am I right, or do children not need ESTAs???
Virgin Atlantic