This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#905379 by cymba
14 Jun 2015, 14:30
Anyone know why VS insists on having the 787 (VS7) towed to the gate at LAX? We sat for over 40 minutes waiting for a tow. The pilot explained, prior to landing, that it was VS procedure for the aircraft to be towed. The gate was in the middle of a row of gates where other aircraft had no problem parking.
#905382 by tontybear
14 Jun 2015, 14:47
I know a couple of years ago (may be longer) they had a trial on using tugs for taxiing at LHR rather than using the engines to see if it would save fuel and hence ££

Not sure what the results were though. Possible this is an extension of that ?
#905383 by Neil
14 Jun 2015, 14:48
I thought all a/c had to be towed to the gate at LAX? It is tight between the terminals at LAX and I thought it was a safety procedure the airport put in place.
#905384 by Hev60
14 Jun 2015, 15:05
Neil wrote:I thought all a/c had to be towed to the gate at LAX? It is tight between the terminals at LAX and I thought it was a safety procedure the airport out in place.

Yes that was the procedure in April when we landed at LAX on the Airbus 340-600.
#905385 by horburyflyer
14 Jun 2015, 15:23
Neil wrote:I thought all a/c had to be towed to the gate at LAX? It is tight between the terminals at LAX and I thought it was a safety procedure the airport out in place.

On all flights I have taken into LAX on VS (on different aircraft types) we have always been towed onto the stand. As Neil says, space is tight and its a safety procedure I believe.

Jon
#905386 by cymba
14 Jun 2015, 15:42
Well my Delta connections had no problem parking themselves and I watched from the new clubhouse other aircraft at terminal two parking themselves. The captain on our VS7, in informing us that there was no tug available to tow us in, announced 'there is some confusion from ground staff whether we wait for a tow or taxi in to the gate" then we waited, right next to the gate, for 40+mins. Also I have never been on an aircraft that was towed in at TBIT.
#905389 by catsilversword
14 Jun 2015, 18:11
We were also towed to the gate on this route, a couple of months ago. The captain announced it was protocol there, although it seemed to be for a very short distance!
#905390 by Nottingham Nick
14 Jun 2015, 18:42
Neil is right - it is about space at the gates.

If you have a look on airliners.net forum, and search for 'LAX tow to gate' or similar; there are technical details of the why, how and to whom of the protocol there.

It certainly isn't a case of VS deciding to do it in order to save money to annoy their passengers. ;

Nick
#905402 by JCBR
14 Jun 2015, 21:59
I believe smaller planes are fine such as 319/320 and most planes that DL use domestically. I think it may be single isles are ok and twin need towing.
I also suspect it has a lot to do with Union labour at LAX as well !
#905410 by MedwayControl
14 Jun 2015, 23:19
My Virgin America flights were towed to the gate earlier this year at TBIT. Towed first to a gate where the airbridge malfunctioned and then to the gate next to it where the bridge worked!

There was plenty of construction around but none that seemed to directly impede our path.
#905414 by slinky09
15 Jun 2015, 09:31
I understand that there are lots of union restrictions on activity at LAX, some include agreements that planes are towed to gates. Some airlines have negotiated this away but not all as it depends on who manages the ground staff and what their union agreement is.
#933981 by stevebrass
30 Mar 2017, 21:26
Martin5192 wrote:More likely down to the thrust from the engines on the larger aircraft even on idle can blow people/vehicles over.

Off topic I know, but wouldn't we all just like to do that sometimes to someone? :-D
#933997 by TimCrawley
31 Mar 2017, 21:32
I was on the VS23 into LAX last week and no announcement or obvious signs / delays that indicated it was being towed into the gate as aircraft slowed to a stop, seatbelt signs off and a few minutes later we trooped off - I guess it really must be gate dependant and/or how busy that section of gates is (we arrived into an empty arivals hall which recent TRs on this route suggest is quite common for the VS23).

An old topic 'revived' so maybe procedures changed at LAX?
#933998 by AlphaEcho
31 Mar 2017, 22:23
Flew into LAX a few weeks ago and we just taxied straight onto Stand 25, however, a few years ago did a few flights into LAX with Air New Zealand, also into Terminal 2 and we were towed onto stand. I think the further you get into the cul-de-sac the tighter it gets meaning a tow is required, to save on excessive engine thrust when turning onto stand. Both ANZ flights were into the stands nearest the Terminal itself as opposed to towards the end of the pier.
Virgin Atlantic