This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#933984 by trusse03
30 Mar 2017, 22:24
Is anyone else having a problem where when you go from the Virgin Atlantic main website to the shops away website it's not keeping you logged in?

Then when you try and log in on the shops away website, it just logs you straight back out? Been going on for a couple of days at least for me.
#934018 by ColOrd
02 Apr 2017, 10:50
You now have to log in with your name and flying club number, so it means you can bookmark the ShopsAway page rather than the constant clicking through from the main VS page.

One thing that has annoyed me with ShopsAway, although it shouldn't have as I have no right to complain. I booked a hotel in Miami in 2014 for a trip in 2015. I cancelled the hotel and rebooked due to a better rate, but ShopsAway credited the 9k of miles for the original booking (Hilton had a ShopsAway promo on at the time!) now that 9k has stayed on my account since it credited in April 2015, and yesterday finally dropped off as a cancelled purchase. As I said, I have no right to complain as I wasn't entitled to those miles, and with my hotel bookings I am normally up and down with bonus miles being cancelled, but a time lag of 2 years seems a bit stupid!
#934021 by mitchja
02 Apr 2017, 11:53
The Shops Away Log in page is here

Yes, I too have never understood the Shops Away system with hotel bookings. It's is annoying when you keep getting miles credited and then debited for hotel reservations. I never book pre-pay hotel rates and do often keep checking if hotel prices change (which they do) and so then I cancel the existing booking and make a new one. IHG are notorious for dropping hotel prices the nearer you get to the check-in date!

Quidco, which uses the same affiliate network, only credits your account after your hotel stay is actually complete and thus you only get the one correct transaction for the hotel stay.

No idea why Shops away cannot do it this way as well?
#934082 by HokeyPokey
04 Apr 2017, 08:39
Grrr...me too...noticed my balance had gone down 1500 miles yesterday - today (finally - was going to phone up!) this is showing as a shopping miles cancellation and turns out to be hotels.com from almost exactly 2 years ago... I'm not clearly recalling ever cancelling/rebooking anything but it is that long ago... Wonder what is going on behind the scenes - perhaps there is a long list of cancelled transactions that is being caught up with! Does seem rather mean after all this time. I'll investigate - yeah maybe I can remember cancelling something that I probably booked about that time - but not sure my "record keeping" will deliver. My hotels.com account does not seem to show the detail going back that far now - oh well, boo hoo...
#934083 by HokeyPokey
04 Apr 2017, 08:57
HokeyPokey wrote:Grrr...me too...noticed my balance had gone down 1500 miles yesterday - today (finally - was going to phone up!) this is showing as a shopping miles cancellation and turns out to be hotels.com from almost exactly 2 years ago... I'm not clearly recalling ever cancelling/rebooking anything but it is that long ago... Wonder what is going on behind the scenes - perhaps there is a long list of cancelled transactions that is being caught up with! Does seem rather mean after all this time. I'll investigate - yeah maybe I can remember cancelling something that I probably booked about that time - but not sure my "record keeping" will deliver. My hotels.com account does not seem to show the detail going back that far now - oh well, boo hoo...

Update: Fair cop - managed to find confirmation emails pertaining to a hotels booking on the correct date and its subsequent cancellation 5 months later. Miles not been relied upon for any imminent redemptions luckily. Anyway...back to the far more agonising wait for my upgrade vouchers to appear...
Virgin Atlantic