This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934764 by chriski
29 Apr 2017, 07:55
Have never been able to get 6 A & K previously but these seats are available for an upcoming flight.
Travelling as a couple, other half :) thinks row 6 seats may be a little claustophobic
Any opinions on best choice?
#934765 by mjb
29 Apr 2017, 08:34
I love the front two seats if travelling as a couple. Your feet are almost touching but there's still plenty of room between you. The experience is quite unique being buried in the front of the nose with the cockpit above and behind you. You really get a feeling there's no other passengers on the plane, especially given the upper cabin is so small on the 747.

We got the bug for upper class and are heading to Orlando and back in 3 weeks. Row 6 both directions. Still hoping they don't make a last minute change to the aircraft out of Gatwick.
#934768 by chrisfinch_2000
29 Apr 2017, 09:16
I agree - there's something really special about row 6 (if travelling as a pair)!

For my upcoming trip, I got row 6 out and row 7 back (6 wasn't available)! 7 is also great (but not quite as good as 6!)

Try to stick close to the front of the 747 cabin would be my advise!
#934770 by Gavla
29 Apr 2017, 10:31
http://i68.tinypic.com/vgll05.jpg

We have sat in row 6 and love it! As has been documented, there is ample room. You have the beauty of being farthest from the bar and there is a shelf ahead of you to place possessions during flight. The only drawback is no overhead compartment directly above you. However we have never found stowing our bags above seat 8 an issue as there is so much space. The curvature of the plane at row 6 also makes it easier to look out of the window. We've booked row 6 again in Septermber. Will miss the exclusivity of the cabin when the 747's are retired and landing before anyone else on the flight!
#934772 by mallin
29 Apr 2017, 10:58
Like Gavia posted, we have not long returned from Vegas in 6a/k both ways . I was a bit apprehensive booking them but found they were really great, you can talk with each other if you want without getting neck ache. No one to walk past you at night and disturb and just farther enough way from the loos to avoid the noise from the galley and premium.

Getting our stuff in an overhead bin was not a problem asked the attendant and they said although the bins overhead are numbered they are for anybody in the UC cabin to use so not to be put off thinking you are using someone elses.

We had two windows or could have been three to look out of and there was a little shelf to put things as well, could not fault, go for it. Linda
#934775 by mdhayes
29 Apr 2017, 13:36
To throw in another point of view, I don't like 6A and K way too claustrophobic and at a weird angle. I prefer 8 and 9 and just use the buddy seat when we want to talk.
#934780 by honey lamb
29 Apr 2017, 22:08
mallin wrote:
Getting our stuff in an overhead bin was not a problem asked the attendant and they said although the bins overhead are numbered they are for anybody in the UC cabin to use so not to be put off thinking you are using someone else's.

Ah, yes the good old 6A/K overhead bin pantomime (or 12A/K on the LHR 747s) It was fun watching passengers in those seats look around in bewilderment for their overhead bin and then try to open a couple of faux bins near them which were merely decorative until a member of the cabin crew (or another passenger in the know) took pity on them and helped them. Mind you, some passengers in row 8 onwards could be very territorial about "their" bins! :-D I had my carry-on bag (which isn't very big) turfed out by an irate passenger claiming it was his bin until the cabin crew intervened and another insisted that I move my little bag so that it did not touch his bag! Did he think mine was going to give his an infectious disease? :-D :-D :-D
#934788 by dickydotcom
30 Apr 2017, 08:37
6A & K every time for us.
Board a bit early and bins aren't a problem. Also means you can have a top up on the Champagne while you wait.
I don't find them claustrophobic at all. Quite the opposite you have the aisle space between the seats all to yourself.
Dick D
#934800 by Smid
30 Apr 2017, 14:03
mdhayes wrote:To throw in another point of view, I don't like 6A and K way too claustrophobic and at a weird angle. I prefer 8 and 9 and just use the buddy seat when we want to talk.

I did wonder if I was the only one. The angle is the thing for me, it's as if flying sideways, even row 7 is a different angle from the rest of the plane...

So I just go for the normal seats. Never had an issue with the noise from galley or toilets or bar.
Virgin Atlantic