This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#934791 by catsilversword
30 Apr 2017, 09:19
I'm seeing some reasonable fares on Expedia to Phoenix - all have layovers though, so am wondering how much time is safe or prudent to allow? Some have as little as an hour - which seems too tight going out - some have just over 2 hours. What does the team think, is 2 hours likely to be enough to clear immigration and check in for internal flight? I'm think an hour layover is less of an issue on coming back to the UK, as no immigration - but maybe that's not right?

Also - these are Delta flights. Business - I think I read here (or perhaps somewhere else!) that they compare favourably with UC? I'm guessing I'd still be able to get Virgin miles and tier points?

Thanks!
#934793 by SlimpyJones
30 Apr 2017, 09:44
It depends really, where would your layovers be? Transiting at ATL would be more straightforward than say, JFK or LAX. But either way though, yes I would go for the 2 hour options, especially for your arrival into the US where you have to go through immigration and customs.

You're correct as well in saying that on the way back it's just as simple as walking from one gate to the next, so no immigration/customs and therefore you could get away with a shorter layover time if that would be preferred.

As far as Delta One goes, there are some aspects where it is "better" than UC but other areas where it isn't. I did an LHR-ATL trip on Delta One a few months back and I think it's a very good product. TR is here is you're interested, I sum up the main differences at the end :)
And yep, you still earn VS miles and TPs, and can use the Clubhouse if you're in Business.
#934795 by catsilversword
30 Apr 2017, 09:49
Thanks Slimpy!

I'm looking at a layover in Salt Lake City - partly because it has a layover of 2hrs 6 mins (!), but also partly because that gets the longest flight out of the way. I'm guessing I'd need to get some kind of ref number from Expedia to claim miles and flights - but am also wondering just how I can get that attached to my flying club? I know Delta and VS are partners, so am wondering what the process would be.

Thanks for mentioned the clubhouse! I was thinking about that - but not until after I posted my first question :blush:
#934796 by SlimpyJones
30 Apr 2017, 10:50
Ah I didn't consider SLC! It's not a huge airport so that layover should be fine :) plus I don't believe SLC sees a great deal of international traffic so immigration shouldn't be too bad.

When you book on Expedia you can put in your frequent flyer details when you book and it should all get credited automatically. You'll get the Delta booking reference from them so you can view your seats, etc. In theory there shouldn't be anything that you need to do in order to claim.
For what it's worth you could always hand over your flying club card when you check in just to make doubley sure it's on the booking :)
#934810 by NV43
30 Apr 2017, 22:55
Allowing a minimum of two hours to percolate through immigration and customs is a good starter, plus some time to switch terminals in most airports.

Bags can, generally, be dropped for connecting flights post-Customs.

This is never going to cover all eventualities, such as a 2 hour delay at LHR with catch up in-air and a 45 post schedule arrival at LAX. Plenty of time to make the connection, except the tow bar for the aircraft could not be located (hey, it was a scheduled flight and only a little bit late, it's not as if someone is going to take it home) and we sat on the apron for 50 minutes before it was found. Missed the connection, and the last AA flight that evening, but UA were good enough to allow us to switch carrier, without cost, and get us to LAS a couple hours late so we didn't lose a night of booked accommodation and a day's car rental*.

*A good example of the generally excellent customer service in the USA.
Virgin Atlantic