This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936251 by gwamgwam
26 Jun 2017, 15:21
Hi

We're travelling to USA for the first time in more than 10 years. Can anyone explain the current system for entry and if there is any way to make the way through immigration quicker.

There are 2 adults and 2 children and we are travelling in upper class from MAN to LAS.

Thank you in advance.
#936255 by SlimpyJones
26 Jun 2017, 16:04
Hi,

Each of you will need to obtain an ESTA to enter the country. They cost $14 and last for two years from the day they are approved. They need to be done at least 72 hours before departure, and they require biometric passports. And that's all you need really!

Before your flight you will need to provide the details of your first night's accommodation to VS. This is done as part of checking in.

As far as speeding up the process - all you can really do is walk quickly after getting off the plane. Your bonus is being in Upper so you will be among the first. In the past I've found LAS immigration to have long lines, but the border agents are quick to process you. In fact my last visit was the only time I've never been asked any questions.
The only other thing you could do is get Global Entry but I have a feeling this would be impossible for you to obtain before your trip as it requires an interview in the US.

Hope this helps somewhat!
#936263 by Traveller2
26 Jun 2017, 19:08
If you haven't already got your ESTAs you might want to try and do them as I know lots of people have been having problems accessing the official website. It is probably not a good idea to leave getting them to the last minute.
#936265 by tontybear
26 Jun 2017, 20:53
Re ESTA if you are applying as a family there is a also a group option which means you make one single payment rather than 4 individual ones saving a little on credit card fees (though everyone will still have their own authorisation)

As it looks like this is your first visit to the USA then you won't be able to use the APC machines either and will need to see a CBP officer to have all your finger prints taken etc.
#936268 by Sealink
26 Jun 2017, 21:35
What day of the week are you travelling?

Boston was appalling last Sunday night. I have Global Entry, my friends didn't. They were in a queue for almost three hours at Immigration.

I love Boston but that airport is just awful.
#936269 by gwamgwam
26 Jun 2017, 22:01
Sealink wrote:What day of the week are you travelling?

Boston was appalling last Sunday night. I have Global Entry, my friends didn't. They were in a queue for almost three hours at Immigration.

I love Boston but that airport is just awful.

We're travelling on VS85 on a Thursday in July from MAN to LAS.
#936275 by Sealink
27 Jun 2017, 00:44
My rant omitted to say that I was told that the worst days to arrive in US airports in Friday and Sunday. :)
#936281 by dickydotcom
27 Jun 2017, 08:23
Traveller2 wrote:If you haven't already got your ESTAs you might want to try and do them as I know lots of people have been having problems accessing the official website. It is probably not a good idea to leave getting them to the last minute.

Also make sure you use the official site as a simple search for ESTA will bring up agencies that charge a big fee for a simple process of your application.

Dick D
Virgin Atlantic