This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936252 by Snora
26 Jun 2017, 15:42
in a recent email from HFP they searched for the Waitrose 'in store' card earning detail and it has gone ... I did the same and can' t find it.

That sure didn't last long - wonder whose decision it was. ? If the Free coffee (with purchase) and free newspaper ( spend over £10) go - I am back to Tesco. After all their suppliers are invariably the same food producers/importers apart from their Leckford Farm products. My loyalty to Waitrose is being seriously tested here folks!
#936254 by mitchja
26 Jun 2017, 15:58
Yep, it looks to have gone.

At least you have a Waitrose to shop at though, my nearest one here up north is either Preston or Otley. There never seem to have really caught on up here.
#936258 by whiterose
26 Jun 2017, 16:31
I do most of my grocery shopping online using Ocado which has masses of Waitrose items. Always been very reliable for quality of produce and delivery. Doesn't solve the earning opportunity problem but does give Waitrose own brands. Curiously the only online delivery disaster was using Waitrose online when Ocado didn't cover the area of a holiday house we were renting.
#936264 by pjh
26 Jun 2017, 20:24
SlimpyJones wrote:My local one here in Huntingdon is closing in September :( I was so glad to have found it too!

We have one in St Ives.
#936270 by Kraken
26 Jun 2017, 22:30
mitchja wrote:Yep, it looks to have gone.

At least you have a Waitrose to shop at though, my nearest one here up north is either Preston or Otley. There never seem to have really caught on up here.

But as I believe you are broadly from the Manchester area / possibly a bit further North, do you not have a local Booths? Whilst there will be no VS bonus miles earning (other than paying on the VS Amex), Booths was always known as "the Waitrose of the North" - the range & quality of stuff they sold always amazed me when on holiday in the Lake District & shopping in their relatively small store in Windermere.
#936282 by Snora
27 Jun 2017, 08:55
Sealink wrote:
Snora wrote: My loyalty to Waitrose is being seriously tested here folks!

Wasn't really loyalty then was it?

Good point Sealink ! I do shop at Booths when I have the time - 80 mile round trip. But they knock spots off Waitrose any day ! .... but even then....Wholefoods would be the ultimate aspiration.

maybe I should have said my 'preference to shop at...' - must pay more attention to my use of vocabulary when posting
#936329 by mitchja
28 Jun 2017, 10:07
Kraken wrote:
mitchja wrote:Yep, it looks to have gone.

But as I believe you are broadly from the Manchester area / possibly a bit further North, do you not have a local Booths? Whilst there will be no VS bonus miles earning (other than paying on the VS Amex), Booths was always known as "the Waitrose of the North" - the range & quality of stuff they sold always amazed me when on holiday in the Lake District & shopping in their relatively small store in Windermere.

Yes, we have a Booths very close to where I live here now. Nearest one is now Barrowford. Never used them though.

I'm sure I remember reading something about some sort of tie up between Waitrose \ Morrisons in that Waitrose where supposed to start expanding in the North and Morrisons where to expand in the South. I don't think that every happened though?
#936345 by pjh
28 Jun 2017, 19:18
spacedog wrote:Our local Waitrose is the one in Otley, too. We shop at Booths because it's a five minute walk from our house!

Otley - possibly unfairly - brings to mind Ottle, location of Steve Coogan's series "Coogan's Run". Though Ottle is pretty much definitively located on the west, "who won the War of the Roses?", side of the Pennines.
#936459 by Daffodil
03 Jul 2017, 11:33
Well it was good while it lasted.
I managed to collect just over 2,000 Flying club miles.
My nearest Waitrose is in a small village, Llanfoist near Abergavenny and just under a mile from where I live.
#936498 by Snora
04 Jul 2017, 15:01
chriski wrote:not sure if I am missing something but I am still earning points

That's interesting - and odd. my last 'points pending' for using my nominated card inshore in Waitrose shows as 16th June, even though I have shopped there at least four times since then. Up until now the points/spend has shown a few days after the shop, but it has taken about 6 weeks for the points to be actually credited.

It does look like you can still earn points as a new customer or less points for online purchases but the instore card earning opportunity does seem to have disappeared from Shops Away.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong though !
Virgin Atlantic