This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936769 by Eggtastico
22 Jul 2017, 07:40
These things happen when you book a scheduled service. Schedules & services change for business needs.
All airlines only have a certain number of planes & they need to fit flights into the schedule & the less profitable ones will get cut if there is a plane shortage.
You can be angry at Virgin, but it does not mater who you fly with. The same could and does happen to other airlines.

I did wonder if flying from Heathrow was an option with Virgin. Maybe Dublin would give you even cheaper options with Aer Lingus.
All people can do is sympathise & maybe offer alternative solutions.
#936770 by Edna Cloud
22 Jul 2017, 08:24
I don't post often but felt moved to do so today.

I am sorry that you have allowed your anger to cloud clear thinking and then to overshadow such an important day (although I'm not sure it truly is "the most important day of your marriage"). Every day with the person you love is a blessing: cherish each one.

A good choice for you might well have been to travel down to London to get the LHR flight to Boston, but it seems you were not aware of that option, so there is no point dwelling on that. You have a wonderful holiday booked with the love of your life,; look forward to that. Was it ideal that the flight times were changed? No, but not worth taking the joy away from your trip.

Find something special to do on the actual anniversary too and ensure that you have two celebrations!

If I sound sentimental, it's because a good friend is nursing her beloved through terminal illness and they won't see their silver anniversary, never mind gold. Please focus on what really matters here.

EC
#936771 by catsilversword
22 Jul 2017, 09:08
Oh dear. Whilst I can understand kevbro's exteme disappointment, I can only agree with others that nobody on here is anything other than kind, polite and helpful - even when some folks (idiots like me!) have asked a question that must have already been asked a million times over.

I do see that it's a trip planned to coincide with a special anniversary - but does it really matter that much if it isn't over the exact day you were married? Don't mean than to sound incendiary - but we have often found ourselves celebrating anniversaries or birthdays a few days before or after the actual date, it's never made it any less special. There's still always the option of a special meal or something in the day itself? Given that you say you are 72, can I kindly suggest that does allow you the luxury of flexibility, with no work commitments to tie you down?

I remember a flight of ours being cancelled.... I'm thinking of 9/11, when the twin towers in New York came down. All flights cancelled for a few days. Now THAT was stressful.....

Apologies if this offends you in any way, my comments are not meant to be offensive.
#936772 by HWVlover
22 Jul 2017, 10:04
Edna Cloud wrote:I don't post often but felt moved to do so today.

I am sorry that you have allowed your anger to cloud clear thinking and then to overshadow such an important day (although I'm not sure it truly is "the most important day of your marriage"). Every day with the person you love is a blessing: cherish each one.

A good choice for you might well have been to travel down to London to get the LHR flight to Boston, but it seems you were not aware of that option, so there is no point dwelling on that. You have a wonderful holiday booked with the love of your life,; look forward to that. Was it ideal that the flight times were changed? No, but not worth taking the joy away from your trip.

Find something special to do on the actual anniversary too and ensure that you have two celebrations!

If I sound sentimental, it's because a good friend is nursing her beloved through terminal illness and they won't see their silver anniversary, never mind gold. Please focus on what really matters here.

EC

I have nothing to say to the OP....he lost me at "after an 8.5 hour flight, 2 pensioners are dumped at JFK for 3 more hours".

But you Edna Cloud deserve a comment. You might not post much on this board but your contribution here put everything in perspective. Well said and well done.
#936783 by clarkeysntfc
22 Jul 2017, 13:53
kevbro wrote:3. others have said why not go to via Heathrow - I have made it quite plain that Virgin had cancelled ALL direct October flights, and that no other airline were any better

Wrong. Virgin are flying LHR - BOS throughout October. The VS11/12 seem to be operating daily on the route.

I suspect you were too busy being angry to think this through though.
#936790 by Snora
22 Jul 2017, 17:53
[quote="kevbro"]having read all the above, I think it's high time to end this posting ...
but I must point out that many posters have just piled in without knowing the facts, whilst other have been more helpful with their replies.

1. it's quite nice to hear that even though we will not be in New England on our actual anniversary (Oct 7th) that we may see better colours in September.

sorry, I know the OP is not longer reading the posts but he also missed the point of my post ! not a detail person I gather. I was trying to say that by flying 'earlier' he is probably going to miss the best colours and that if he had considered the new flights offered by VS ( and yes his original plan) he would have caught them at an ideal time - now? not so likely !

to add to my post - today VS have emailed to say our HKG flights in Jan are now cancelled we are on the ones 24 hrs earlier - the upshot is Changed BA shuttle flights down to LHR cost = £120 additional ( their fare changes to economy+ mean we now incur a fee for changes since Aug 2016 which was free previously) also we need to alert our hotel to an extra night. Am I miffed YES ! am I setting up a webpage NO !
#936797 by Florida White
23 Jul 2017, 01:40
I had an issue recently my Atlanta to Manchester flight was cancelled due to a schedule change and they were trying to fly me back early which would have meant missing our wedding anniversary. Got to say customer services were superb their hands were tied by schedule changes but they just rerouted me via New York although 2 days later. They were brilliant and yes I have to stay in the USA a couple of extra days in November but I will take that. A connection isn't so bad clearing customs and getting to your final destination and not having to do that and walking straight out but you need to be a bit flexible when scheduling issues happen and the guys at Crawley Towers will do everything they can to help from my experience. I do hope you have a wonderful time though and congratulations on your wedding anniversary.
Virgin Atlantic