This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936686 by chrisfinch_2000
18 Jul 2017, 18:33
Hoping someone can help with accomadation recommendations for Jamaica?

Going on 28th January for 1 week with my mum. Flights booked (1x'I' fare, 1x'G'). We usually try all inclusive, 4-5 star, and either 2 rooms with single occupancy or a 1 bedroom place (so I can have the sofa bed).

Looking for recommendations of where to stay as there is OODLES of options and the price points vary hugely!

Any help much appreciated :cool:
#936699 by cooperman
19 Jul 2017, 18:33
My Son and his Bride spent 10 days Honeymoon at Secrets Montego Bay .... really enjoyed it. Attentive bar staff, good vibe around the pool but not a party vibe.
#936773 by TimCrawley
22 Jul 2017, 10:20
Sorry for the late response but wasn't watching the board much this week!

Secrets Montego Bay is a very nice resort, stayed there 5 or maybe 6 times for stays of 14-19 nights. Weekdays the resort can be quite a bit quieter than the weekends as many of the US / Canadian guests only stay a few nights, tends to be the Europeans with longer flight times that stay 1, 2 weeks or more. Most of the nighttime restaurants are at the Wild Orchid end of the resort (as is the noisy nightly entertainment) with daytime restaurants / snacks (and mobile jerk chicken cart) spread the length of the resort from Wild Orchid to St James. So, St James is the quieter end of the resort. Both offer a 'Preferred' section where you get a few extras (like a private bar / snack buffet from breakfast through dinner in the lobby) including a supposedly private section of beach - though this only tends to be rigidly enforced at the Wild Orchid end with 'leakage' at the St James end. The included 24h room service is good, used it a couple of times each visit. For prices then if it's for two of you in separate Junior Suite King rooms in the preferred club it's quite normal to pay £280-300 per room per night BUT it's equally possible to get for more like £180 per night when they have one of their very frequent sales (sadly the last promo just finished as was 4th July related, included not just general reductions but no single supplements, but will be another along soon).

For other resorts do watch the travel times - airport (MBJ) to Runaway Bay area is typically almost 1.5 hours, Negril looks closer but will take 15-30 minutes longer than that - so for just a week you might not want to travel that far extra but if you don't mind then there are some glorious beachfront hotels all along the island. I would NOT recommend staying directly in the heart of Montego Bay itself (e.g. Deja Resort - I stayed when it used to be the Gloucester and it's very noisy and you have to cross the road (with lots of hassle from sometimes a bit aggressive hustlers trying to make a living) in order to get to the beach)

Enjoy the island!
Virgin Atlantic