This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936992 by CatLadyH
29 Jul 2017, 08:00
Hi all,

Firstly, I hope I am putting this post in correct forum, if it needs moving please let me know. :blush:

Just thought I would do a quick post to get some advice regarding the above. My partner and I are flying from MAN to JFK later next month. As we got such a good deal via ebookers I can't put in a bid to upgrade to PE however I am considering paying for the extra legroom seats within economy. I haven't travelled with virgin before so I am just looking for advice to see if it's worth it? Could anyone advise?

I am fairly used to long haul flights however my partner isn't (quite a nervous flyer too) so I just want to make sure he will be as comfy and relaxed as possible.

Like I say any advice would be appreciated.

TYIA

H
#937000 by SlimpyJones
29 Jul 2017, 11:18
Tricky to answer as value is in the eye of the beholder. I would say it depends how tall you are really :)

At 6'4" I always go for them as I really need the extra space. You get 3 more inches bringing the pitch the 34" over the standard 31", so akin to most "Economy Plus" seats on other carriers. Just to manage expectations, there no extra service, it's just the extra legroom.

You could try buying extra legroom for your outbound flight - then if you felt it was worth it you could always buy for the return leg?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
#937003 by Hev60
29 Jul 2017, 11:55
Hi, use the Virgin locator reference number on your booking and go into your booking to check the seat map. That way you can see what 'extra leg room' seats are showing as available. Like Chriski says, you don't want to be near the toilets!

The reason I say check seat map first is because my niece got offered a brilliant upgrade PE offer on her flight LHR-JFK. When I showed her the seat map it turned out that the PE were all over the place and none were together apart from two seats right next to the loo. They preferred to keep their already paid for economy seats.
Also it would depend on the aircraft. Paying out for extra leg room for say the two middle seats in a row of four, would certainly need some thought!

Paying for seats is a personal opinion but I would always do it, as sitting next to my travel partner & in a seat of my choice is the most important aspect of my flying experience.
#937006 by Golfgirl
29 Jul 2017, 13:40
HI

We have just done the same trip and paid for the extra leg room, I thought they were worth it but it does depend on the person. My daughter is a nervous flyer ring Virgin special assistance and let them know like I did the cabin crew were amazing with her and made the flight great. Have fun :)
#937079 by gumshoe
31 Jul 2017, 14:35
Exit row seats aren't for everyone - true the legroom is exceptional but they're narrower than normal due to the table & IFE monitor stored in the armrest, they tend to be next to toilets or galleys, can often be chilly due to being next to the door and offer limited storage (nothing allowed under the seat and no seat pocket).

If you're very tall, though, they're probably the only viable option if you have to be in economy. Even the extra legroom seats, with 34" seat pitch, will be tight for the long-legged.
#937081 by Eggtastico
31 Jul 2017, 15:41
SlimpyJones wrote:
Eggtastico wrote:no, because they can still move you anyway & you wont get refunded!

I'm pretty certain that is not true.

There are a few stories around where people have been bumped from extra leg room seats.
It also happens if there is an aircraft change, as the seat numbers can be different.
#937083 by SlimpyJones
31 Jul 2017, 15:46
Eggtastico wrote:
SlimpyJones wrote:
Eggtastico wrote:no, because they can still move you anyway & you wont get refunded!

I'm pretty certain that is not true.

There are a few stories around where people have been bumped from extra leg room seats.
It also happens if there is an aircraft change, as the seat numbers can be different.

I meant with regards to the refund - sure people can get bumped, but VS will refund you the cost of the extra legroom/exit row seats if you upgrade to PE/UC or if they take the seat away.
Virgin Atlantic