This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#936999 by oldboy
29 Jul 2017, 10:41
Hi all

Does anyone have hotel recommendations for NYC? We have visited several times & like to try new hotels each time.

This will be a 2 night stay. We prefer mid-town area, budget around £250 per night.

Thanks in advance.
#937004 by moodyblue
29 Jul 2017, 11:57
The last time we stayed in NY we used the New York Hilton on 6th Avenue. Very convenient for Broadway and in the other direction for Central Park. We paid a bit extra and upgraded to the executive level that gave us a great room I think on the 44th floor, and free lounge access with included breakfast!
We have also used the Waldorf Astoria but felt we preferred the Hilton. The Waldorf we felt was overpriced for what it offered. The room was smaller even though we had upgraded. We also had poor service on our arrival and departure. It's the Hilton for us in future!
Enjoy your stay wherever you end up.
#937009 by mikethe3rd
29 Jul 2017, 14:17
We enjoyed the Marmara on 5th Ave.

EDIT: It's not the one on 5th. It's the one on Park Avenue. More info in my old post here.
Last edited by mikethe3rd on 29 Jul 2017, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.
#937014 by mitchja
29 Jul 2017, 15:36
I stayed at the InterContinental New York Barclay which is a nice well maintained hotel when I was in New York the other week.

I usually stay on somewhere on Lexington Avenue. The InterContinental is 1 block away and across the road from the W New York where I've also stayed before. Much prefer the InterContinental as it has bigger nicer rooms (not really a fan of W's here).
#937029 by Turquoise
30 Jul 2017, 08:42
We like the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square (on 8th and 49th) - we have stayed there several times. It is clean and convenient - nothing fancy but fine if you won't be spending much time in the room. 5 minutes' walk to Times Square. Only downside is that the Restaurant which is attached to the Hotel has been closed for renovations for some time so there is no opportunity to eat at the Hotel site.
#937033 by CHill710
30 Jul 2017, 11:35
I like the Hilton garden inn times sq central on W42nd.
Across the road from H&M on times Sq can't beat the location.
#937086 by VS075
31 Jul 2017, 16:10
The last time we were in NYC we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown/Park Ave on 33rd Street. It opened within the last 2/3 years, only 2 blocks from the Empire State Building, right near to 33rd St Subway station and other midtown sights are within 15mins walk.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/h ... index.html
#937147 by locutus
01 Aug 2017, 18:43
Do you have status anywhere? That always influences my decision.
#937184 by jimschffr
02 Aug 2017, 22:41
Hello. A Yank here who travels to NYC at least once a month on business.

I can also recommend the Hilton mid-town. You are centrally located and can also travel from JFK on the E train to the hotel in less than an hour. The subway stop is about a minute's walk from the hotel. The rooms are good-sized and well maintained.

The other recommendations are good as well. The Barclay is a lovely property as is the Westin, also near Times Square. Most, but not all, of the Hilton family properties are sound choices as well.

Many of the boutique hotels are best avoided. The housekeeping is sometimes questionable and the rooms can be tiny.
I have stayed at most of the major hotels in NYC. If you have a question about a specific property, you are most welcome to contact me at js (at) conopera.org

I hope you enjoy your trip.
Virgin Atlantic