This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937622 by Cat_H
18 Aug 2017, 14:08
Hi all, I'm a long time reader but first time poster :blush:

I was hoping to get some advice from you guys here.

My husband and I booked a flydrive with Virgin Holidays last year to Orlando. We're flying on the VS15 on the 8th September from Gatwick.

We originally booked economy but decided later that we wanted to try upgrading, however, because it was booked via Virgin Holidays, our seats aren't eligible for upgrade. I wonder if we are able to upgrade at check in?

I've only done this once before and that was flying from LAX with United so I'm not sure if this is something that VA offer.

We wanted to upgrade to PE from EC and of course are willing to pay.

Additionally, we're staying at the airport the night before so would we get a better chance of getting an upgrade if we do it on the day rather than using twilight check in? We'll be using the PE desk as we are both Ag.

If any of this is possible... does anyone have any ideas on the amount I might expect to pay?

Sorry for all of the questions but any help would be so appreciated!

Cat
#937623 by CommanderB
18 Aug 2017, 14:57
You can request an upgrade at check in, just do it before the agent actually checks you in to avoid confusion.

Upgrades on the day are priced dynamically depending on load. Regardless of your fare bucket, you can usually get these upgrades.
#937629 by SlimpyJones
18 Aug 2017, 16:19
Hello! Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised you weren't able to get an upgrade from Virgin Holidays - in the past I've spoken to them directly and they were able to quote me a price (they get the price from their "aviation team").

Either way, at 24 hours prior to departure, the ticket comes under airport control, so at that point Virgin Atlantic are the ones who can deal with it directly. I'd say once it gets to T-24, get in touch with VS before you checkin to see what they can offer.

As CommanderB says, they are usually at a fixed price - in the past I've seen Econ->PE for £200.
#937637 by Cat_H
18 Aug 2017, 23:58
Hi Slimpy, and thank you for the welcome :)

Yeah, when I contacted Virgin Holidays, they told me that I would need to book an entirely new ticket as I was on the wrong type of ticket for an upgrade. They said if I had done it on the phone then I might have been able to upgrade (presumably they would have put me on a different economy ticket), but as I had done it online, it automatically gives me the cheapest ticket. This is just from memory when I ask a month or so back though so I may have gotten the exact information wrong!

That's really useful to know about VA being able to deal with the ticket at 24 hours prior to departure. I'll definitely get in contact with them before we leave to see what we can do.

Thanks very much for your help!

Cat
Virgin Atlantic