This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937669 by mdhayes
21 Aug 2017, 12:08
HI, we've currently booked Orlando in PE using miles on a saturday, i've just taken a look at reward availability and it appears there are UC flights available to miami on the thursday, I have enough miles to upgrade this flight to UC plus I've never flown on either the 787 or out of heathrow while flying UC, is it worth switching these flights? Is 2 nights (with Jet lag) enough time to explore Miami and then the subsequent drive up to Orlando?

Any help/advice appreciated.
#937670 by oldboy
21 Aug 2017, 12:13
I would go for it, the drive from Miami to Orlando is an easy one.
#937671 by gumshoe
21 Aug 2017, 12:27
You don't say when you're flying but bear in mind that it's likely that some MIA flights this autumn will be operated by Delta using 767s, without a PE cabin.
#937673 by Traveller2
21 Aug 2017, 13:27
For me, the pleasure of flying in Upper would be negated the moment I landed at MIA and tried to negotiate immigration and customs. Queues can be horrendous at both and IMHO, it is one of the worst airports to fly into that I've used in the USA. I try to avoid MIA at all costs these days. You wouldn't have to sit in it being an UC passenger but the departure lounge Virgin uses is soul destroying!

Yes, you should be fine to do the drive to Orlando after two days.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you will need to hire a SunPass transponder with your car for the cashless tolls in and around Miami. Be careful who you hire with as charges for this service differ greatly between companies, with Alamo being one of the cheapest and Hertz, one of the most expensive. If you rent a car from MCO then you do not need the transponder as you can pay cash for all the tolls. The cashless ones only start near Miami.
#937674 by mitchja
21 Aug 2017, 14:36
MIA is actually a little better now for arrivals than it used to be. It's still a very long walk to immigration though. They do at least have a lot of ESTA machines you can use now. Even without Global Entry, last time I arrived at MIA, it only took about 20mins to get through immigration.

I'd still avoid flying out of MIA though if you can.

Traveller2 wrote:
Another thing to bear in mind is that you will need to hire a SunPass transponder with your car for the cashless tolls in and around Miami. Be careful who you hire with as charges for this service differ greatly between companies, with Alamo being one of the cheapest and Hertz, one of the most expensive. If you rent a car from MCO then you do not need the transponder as you can pay cash for all the tolls. The cashless ones only start near Miami.

The Miami area is a nightmare for tolls and they will soon add up (even without you realising it as most of the tolls are automatic now; you don't even have to stop for toll booths as there are just sensors above the roads). Last time I was in that area, the toll charges where still trickling back to my credit card (via the car hire company) almost 2 months later!!
#937675 by Traveller2
21 Aug 2017, 15:03
When we last hired a car with Alamo from MIA, at the end of our holiday, we had a one off charge of just $14 for the hire of the SunPass transponder and cost of the tolls we went through on the way to Key West and back. That was it. There is no option but to use the transponder in Miami as all the tolls are cashless.
#937677 by mdhayes
21 Aug 2017, 16:22
thanks think were going to stick to orlando and keep checking for upgrades but not holding my breath!
#937684 by chrisfinch_2000
21 Aug 2017, 18:56
I'd do it!

UC from Heathrow on a 787 is such a great way to start a holiday, you'll have enough time to do a bit of sightseeing in Miami, the drive is only 3 hours, (and the toll issue is a tiny one with a bit of research!)

Immigration lines can be bad everywhere so don't let that stop you!
#937790 by moodyblue
25 Aug 2017, 12:30
I agree that a flight on a 787 is more comfortable and that the drive up to MCO is easy (about 4 hours or so). If you have a look at www.sunpass.com it will give you details of the arrangements and charges for using unmanned tolls throughout your stay that are imposed by each rental company. Most companies don't provide a transponder, the costs are taken from the cameras at each location I believe.
I nice hotel near the airport is the MARRIOTT at Miami Airport. They have a courtesy shuttle if you want to save a days rental and collect your car on the first morning.
Virgin Atlantic