This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#937718 by ianb
22 Aug 2017, 18:19
Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place I have tried to get my bearings on the site since finding it a few days ago!

On Sunday 3rd September, I will be flying to JFK from Heathrow with my Wife for our honeymoon! We are both excited about the trip, one of us excited about the flight! I am the one not excited about the flight, I am not a confident flyer at all and haven't been on a plane in 10 years.

When I booked the flights I purposely booked flights on the Dreamliner as I had read many reviews, watched many video's and made myself feel comfortable to the point I was looking forward to it, until a couple days ago when Virgin switched the aircraft to an A340-600 for the flight to JFK! This may sound sad but I felt sick when I saw it and instantly started panicking to the point I contacted Virgin and expressed my concerns. To be fair, they were very helpful and did their best to comfort me and also waved the fee to pre-book our seats there and back.

My issues now is I have read many reviews on the A340-600 (Virgin fleet) and they don't read to well. Many complaints about poor IFE, tired cabins, worn seats and poor leg room. This is a concern, I am 6'3" so will probably need to book a seat with extra legroom (after checkin the best seats on v-flyer first). Generally, the service gets rated quite well but I just feel quite down about it and I shouldn't!! I am trying to hide it as my Wife is super excited and I should be too.

I just want to hear from those who have flown recently on one of these A340's what it was like, was it as bad as some reviewers make out? Is the IFE really that poor? Some were saying the screens are really fuzzy and you are better off using your phone or an iPad. I will look but if there are any recommendations for seats with extra legroom that would be great.

Appreciate I have rambled a bit and I probably sound like a right whinger but I really don't mean or want to be! I just want to enjoy the holiday in its entirety. At present, we are still booked on the Dreamliner for our return flight which is great, but I feel like that may get switched also!

I'm sure the staff will be great and the flight will be enjoyable to most (who knows maybe me also) but if anyone can give any words of advice, encouragement etc. that would be amazing.

I have read through a few threads and some of you are frequent flyers so will probably have a wealth of experience flying on Virgin planes!

Thanks in advance.
Ian :blush:
#937725 by SlimpyJones
22 Aug 2017, 22:21
Hey Ian, I've done a handful of trips in the A340s, and whilst they are the oldest type in the Virgin fleet they are by no means bad.

It's worth taking reviews on sites like Seatguru with a handful of salt, remember people are more likely to have a moan online so the reviews can often be negatively skewed. ;-)

On the IFE front, yes it is a fairly dated system, they don't have the touchscreen capabilities like the 787s or A330s have, but in all honesty I tend to not notice after a while. The screen resolution is a little low as well which may cause it to look a bit fuzzy, though it is perfectly watchable, again you get used to it after an hour or so.

Over the last year some of the A340s have been retired to the desert and those that have stayed have received new Economy seating, which should be more akin to the Dreamliners.

On the extra legroom seats, at 6'4" I find them to be very useful when I've been in Economy, so I would strongly recommend them if your budget permits!

That's all I can think of to say really, I do understand the worries of course, but hopefully I've gone some way to negate them. Have a lovely trip :)
#937726 by SlimpyJones
22 Aug 2017, 23:24
One other thing that comes to mind is that Economy on the A340s is 2-4-2 which means plenty of pairs of seats for you and your lady, whereas the Dreamliners are 3-3-3, so more chance you you two plus a third wheel :P
#937727 by Snora
22 Aug 2017, 23:27
Congratulations on your marriage ! you will be great ...... you will be exhausted from all the celebrations and you will be with your new wife. Great Choice by the way New York ! wow! concentrate on what you will do when you arrive, how it will feel to visit NYC after such a great celebration. What a 'once in a lifetime' visit it will be....how few people actually ever get to travel to such places in their lifetime....how it is going to be a flight that lasts less than the average working day and yet you will be in a completely different environment. Virgin Atlantic is the airline I would want to be on for such a flight. The staff are friendly, approachable, will definitely provide everything you need to make it a special flight.

Drink lots of water, watch a movie, laugh a lot and if it will help take a Stugeron tablet 12 hours before departure and if need a second one take it on departure. You will however sleep a very deep sleep the first night you arrive - be warned ! After 25+ years with my other half that is not a problem - in your case however ........

Have a fantastic time in NYC - it's hard not to. Regardless of the aircraft type, your height, the food, the IFE, the seats...... you are with someone you are going to spend the rest of your life with and going on a fantastic trip ...... life is good Ian. ... embrace it ......and oh......post a TR please !!!
#937728 by PaulS
22 Aug 2017, 23:44
I wouldn't worry at all. I have had many flights on the 346 and I would personally prefer this to the 333. I haven't flown on a 787 but I always prefer aircraft with four engines when flying over the pond so this should reassure you on any safety fears you have.
#937732 by ianb
23 Aug 2017, 07:10
Thank you so much for your messages!! Very helpful indeed, I really appreciate it.

You're right, I need to focus more on where I am going, what I will be doing and who with rather than the aircraft type! If the return flight doen't get changed, I will be quite lucky in that I have managed to do the 346 and the Dreamliner in one trip!

I will take a look at doing a trip report also, maybe even whilst I am on the flight!
#937737 by Hev60
23 Aug 2017, 12:37
Certainly do not be concerned about flying the Airbus 340-600 aircraft. I have flown on them so many times and I really like the aircraft. As explained previously if you are flying economy as a couple, this is honestly honestly the best plane because of the side two seating (hope they have allocated you these seats). I absolutely hate sitting in a 3 across aisle when there's only two of us.

Reviews are totally based on one person's opinion and mine often differs from my travel partners!!! When we flew to San Francisco earlier this year everyone had been estastic about the 787 Dreamliner. My takeback would be yes its a nice new aircraft with up to date modern technology but to be if I have to press a button on the remote to watch a film rather than having a touch the screen - I honestly wouldn't see that as a negative. The most important thing is a reasonably comfortable seat and a good attentative crew.

I'd be far more excited about your destination rather than being worried about a few hours in a piece of metal. I would give anything to be travelling on the Airbus 340 to Orlando next year rather than the 747 we are stuck with :-(

My congrats on your forthcoming wedding and have a wonderful holiday.
#937746 by NYC123
23 Aug 2017, 16:46
You'll love New York, it's great. 4 years today since i took my wife for the 1st time, been back twice since.

Would really recommend a sunset cruise on the Adirondack, have done it every time.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... _York.html

Discounted tickets here

https://www.goldstar.com/events/manhatt ... adirondack

Also why not try booking an exit seat for the flight? I'm 6'7 and they are great even though you lose a little bit of width in the seat.
#937748 by ianb
23 Aug 2017, 16:52
Thanks Hev60 for the encouraging words :D

NYC123 - appreciate the tip, it looks great I will certainly be looking to add that to our itinerary, thanks!

One other question - Is the Virgin Lounge, Club Lounge or whatever it's called only for people flying Upper Class? I couldn't go in there as a treat for my wife and me?
#937751 by Hev60
23 Aug 2017, 17:27
ianb wrote:Thanks Hev60 for the encouraging words :D

NYC123 - appreciate the tip, it looks great I will certainly be looking to add that to our itinerary, thanks!

One other question - Is the Virgin Lounge, Club Lounge or whatever it's called only for people flying Upper Class? I couldn't go in there as a treat for my wife and me?

Did you book direct or your flight with a 3rd party??

If by chance you booked via Virgin Holidays (which from your post I don't think you did), but you could have used their own V-Lounge or you could pay for the Virgin Atlantic lounge which does only come free with UC or status stuff.

You might consider the No.1 lounge, good reviews on here about that lounge.

The sunset cruise sounds delightful.. If you've not been to nyc before, have a flexible itinerary and do book in advance for some of the popular tourist attractions. I have been going to New York every September for a number of years and it is a lovely time of year, can be still warm and mostly bright blue skies greet you every morning. Hev
#937756 by pjh
23 Aug 2017, 19:33
Hev60 wrote:

If by chance you booked via Virgin Holidays (which from your post I don't think you did), but you could have used their own V-Lounge or you could pay for the Virgin Atlantic lounge which does only come free with UC or status stuff.

The sunset cruise sounds delightful.. If you've not been to nyc before, have a flexible itinerary and do book in advance for some of the popular tourist attractions. I have been going to New York every September for a number of years and it is a lovely time of year, can be still warm and mostly bright blue skies greet you every morning. Hev

There isn't a V-Lounge at LHR, but I believe (I may be wrong) that subject to capacity you may still be able to pay into the Clubhouse on the day? That, however, requires that you be able to take the disappointment of a "no" on the day, and the pre-bookable No 1 Lounge may be a more reliable choice.

You'll be able to try all options over time as once NYC has its hooks in you you'll want to go again...and again...and then you'll think...let's try Premium Economy...and then there'll be an Upper Class sale.... :)
#937757 by ianb
23 Aug 2017, 22:14
Hev60 wrote:

I booked direct on the Virgin Atlantic website. I will have a look at the No.1 lounge and see what it is like.

Appreciate all the tips :D
#937772 by LucyLu
24 Aug 2017, 12:35
I'm flying LHR to SFO on the A340 on 16th September and I chose it over the Dreamliner flights because I could get exit seats on both flights and I know that the exit seats in row 51 have extensive space and no problems with the door impacting on the A or K seats. I flew back from Joburg in 51K previously and it was so comfortable, only downside was no real window view, but for a night flight that didn't bother me. I'd take extensive legroom over a window most of the time, especially on a long flight like Joburg or SFO. The exit seat was £45 to pre-book for each flight to/from SFO.

I have also booked into the No1 lounge at LHR, you can get it for £25 via Flying Club. Having used both the ones at LGW South and North in the past it seemed like a good option . I won't be able to let you know what I think of it before you fly as I am flying after you but I am sure it will be good.
#937780 by Eggtastico
24 Aug 2017, 18:01
get yourself a decent tablet.
load up all your fav shows & movies.
dont bother with IFE
before booking extra leg room seats, it might be worth asking how much upgrade to Business is.
Might find it better to splurge 1 way business, than 2 ways with extra leg room.
#937783 by DragonLady
24 Aug 2017, 20:03
Eggtastico wrote:Might find it better to splurge 1 way business, than 2 ways with extra leg room.

The cost differential between Y and UC will not be insignificant and nowhere near the cost of extra legroom both ways.
OP -the 346s have seen the bulk of my VS flying over the years ( some of it on routes now long gone )and whilst the Dreamliner is all new and sparkly the 346 holds a place in my heart and is still an awesome aircraft.
Have a fantastic honeymoon :) .
DL
#937785 by SlimpyJones
24 Aug 2017, 20:43
Eggtastico wrote:before booking extra leg room seats, it might be worth asking how much upgrade to Business is.
Might find it better to splurge 1 way business, than 2 ways with extra leg room.

Not sure that's good advice, a one-way upgrade for two from Economy to Upper will easily exceed £1000. Two for extra legroom to NYC and back is £140.
#937789 by ianb
25 Aug 2017, 08:38
Thanks again for all the amazing advice/tips, you guys are great, thank you!

RE the seat upgrades - Unfortunately I missed out on all Extra Legroom seats on both journey's so I am stuck with Economy both ways. I managed to get an isle seat on the way out but coming back on the Dreamliner I will be in the middle as my Wife wants a window seat. Unless we get an amazing offer for PE, I will stick with what we have! My budget won't allow a UC upgrade even if they halved the price.

We are booking into the No.1 lounge for the £25 mentioned above, we feel it's not a bad price considering we were planning on eating and drinking at the airport anyway and who knows what they charge for one drink at a bar (I have never been to Heathrow in my life!).

Starting to get excited now, 9 days and we are off! We have so much planned it will be a busy but very enjoyable 7 days :D
#937797 by Hev60
25 Aug 2017, 16:33
ianb, One last piece of advice. Make sure the checkin agent knows you're going on your honeymoon ;-)

You never know they may be very kind and provide an upgrade. This has happened to us several times over the years whilst flying with VS and I have never had any status stuff. Just a plain red flying club member who travels purely for personal reasons. So an upgrade even from Economy to UC once!! was very welcome and other times it's been from Economy to PE or PE to UC.

A lot of my colleagues have praised the No1 lounge - get there as early as is allowed to enjoy the ambiance. Either way, it's far better than being stuck on those plastic chairs with hoards of people in the departure areas.

Sorry went off topic and referred to virgin hols V Lounge which is at Gatwick not Heathrow, brain cell went missing on that advice!!!

Hope all goes well and do come back with your feedback :)
#937798 by Eggtastico
25 Aug 2017, 16:48
Hev60 wrote:ianb, One last piece of advice. Make sure the checkin agent knows you're going on your honeymoon ;-)

You never know they may be very kind and provide an upgrade. This has happened to us several times over the years whilst flying with VS and I have never had any status stuff. Just a plain red flying club member who travels purely for personal reasons. So an upgrade even from Economy to UC once!! was very welcome and other times it's been from Economy to PE or PE to UC.

A lot of my colleagues have praised the No1 lounge - get there as early as is allowed to enjoy the ambiance. Either way, it's far better than being stuck on those plastic chairs with hoards of people in the departure areas.

Sorry went off topic and referred to virgin hols V Lounge which is at Gatwick not Heathrow, brain cell went missing on that advice!!!

Hope all goes well and do come back with your feedback :)

how many times have you been married!
#937808 by Hev60
25 Aug 2017, 22:29
Eggtastico wrote:.....
before booking extra leg room seats, it might be worth asking how much upgrade to Business is.

Goodness gracious me, so they can upgrade to 'business' or commonly known as Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic for around the same price as extra leg room seats??

Wow, seriously that is very unlikely to be a realistic option !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#937843 by honey lamb
26 Aug 2017, 22:30
I used the No. 1 lounge earlier this year and can highly recommend it.

There is a free menu and a paid menu and if you use it wisely you can recoup your £25. Prosecco is free, champagne is chargeable. Basic alcoholic drinks are free but if you go for something different like posh gins, they are chargeable. Some foods are free, others chargeable. I have a recollection that when my son and I went to Oz via Jakarta earlier this year using the No.1 lounge from flights leaving midday/early afternoon from our two airports in Ireland for an 8pm flight had burgers or something similar with other stuff from the paid menu (which in my dotage, I cannot remember)and the bill was £16. We drank a lot of prosecco!
Virgin Atlantic