This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938511 by spacedog
19 Sep 2017, 08:07
I booked a flight through Expedia from MAN to JFK a while ago as the price with Expedia was significantly lower than what was listed on the VS site. The outbound is direct, but at the time there was no direct inbound available (there is now, though, annoyingly), so we are returning via ATL.

We originally had an almost three hour layover at ATL on the inbound journey. The Delta flight from JFK has since been changed twice, leaving us with a scary 50 minute connection time. This seems to be cutting it really close. We know ATL reasonably well but if our flight from JFK is delayed even a little I feel we will be in trouble. Has anyone had any luck with getting this sort of thing altered by Expedia?
#938514 by CommanderB
19 Sep 2017, 09:32
Thats tight. Not impossible, but still tight.

I couldn't find any published MCT's for ATL. But if I was to hazard a guess, 50 minutes is probably very close to the limit for Domestic > International.

If you are on one ticket, it should be ok. But for two separate tickets, its definitely a no go.

I have a lot of work travel booked through a TA and usually when a connection gets broken due to schedule change, they notify me before I've noticed. In this case it may be very tight but still a legal connection, so therefore no contact has been made. It would be worth ringing them up and talking through the options.

DL change flight schedules all the time, and theres every possibility that it will get changed back to its original timing (or even something different) before travel too.
#938515 by gumshoe
19 Sep 2017, 09:57
A 50 minute connection is, in reality, 30 as the gate for your VS flight should close 20 minutes before departure.

Far too tight for my liking but if it's a "legal" connection you may face an uphill battle trying to persuade Expedia to change it without a hefty charge.

That's the main disadvantage to booking with OTAs. Had you booked direct with VS or DL they'd be more likely to be flexible.
#938516 by markyl
19 Sep 2017, 10:03
We suffered the same fate re narrowing the connection time,

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=294871

Our flight from MCO up to ATL was on time, luckily there is no security to go through just find the internal train system and get to your terminal.

It was a route march but we had time to grab a coffee then board so it can be done but not in a relaxed way.

Delta were up for changing our flight but that would of left us with a four hour stop over
#938518 by tontybear
19 Sep 2017, 11:12
The MCT at ATL for a Domectic to International flight is either 40 or 50 minute (it depends on what plane type you arrive on) as per the flyer talk DL ATL wiki

Only if the MCT goes below this will you get a free re-booking.

I once had a 55 minute connection at ATL which was fine - the luggage made it! - but I certainly didn't dawdle but didn't have to run either.
#938521 by spacedog
19 Sep 2017, 11:41
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I double checked the times and we have exactly 54 minutes. I think it's doable, we just gave to hope for smooth sailing on the JFK>ATL hop. It is all one booking/PNR so we are covered there, I would just rather not have to spend an extra night in ATL if we miss it as my OH will have a sense of humour failure. I am really hoping it gets changed again to an earlier time... I absolutely loathe tight connections and always try to avoid them, so this is unfamiliar territory for me. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again :)
#938522 by gumshoe
19 Sep 2017, 12:23
I think in situations like this a lot depends on your attitude to risk.

If you're the type of person who'll spend the whole holiday worrying about whether you'll make it, it's probably not worth the risk.

If you're a "what will be will be" and "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" type of person, go for it. As you say, you're protected.
#938542 by steve_nm
20 Sep 2017, 04:32
As long as your JFK - ATL leg is on time you should be fine. Domestic to International in Atlanta is no different than Domestic connection other than they will check your passport when boarding. Familiarize yourself ahead of time with the terminal map and where your flight from JFK is parking. The VS flight will be concourse E or F. In either case you'll go down the escalator and take the train to E or F, 5-10 minutes max and back up the escalator to the concourse.

You mentioned that you purchased from Expedia, do you know if it is a Delta ticket or Virgin? If it is Delta ticket and you should mis-connect (unlikely), Delta has lots of flights and codeshare flights across the pond and they would likely re-accommodate you. Perhaps with an extra leg something like AMS or CDG to MAN. Late, but still home the same day.
#938573 by sythe20
21 Sep 2017, 18:16
They kept reducing our transfer time at ATL, until it went right down to 25 minutes! We didn't even get a notification, i just happened to check the flights.

After a long complaints procedure, we were finally rescheduled on to an earlier flight.
#938574 by steve_nm
21 Sep 2017, 20:18
Another thought for spacedog - if it is Delta ticket, in my experience they have changed flights at no charge when they have a schedule change. Maybe you've already tried it, but it seems it might be worth a call to Delta reservations and request them to change your flights at no charge.
#939066 by spacedog
13 Oct 2017, 08:18
Just wanted to say that we made it! Our flight out of JFK pulled back on time, but we then sat in a queue on the runway for about 40 minutes. I thought we were doomed, but the flight landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule and we left the aircraft within minutes. It took us less than 10 minutes to reach our gate in the F terminal. Our flight was already half way through boarding when we arrived (after sneakily stopping to check prices on PE > UC upgrades... we didn't opt for it in the end and the flight ended up being only 7 hours).
#939115 by NV43
15 Oct 2017, 20:37
Success, and a minimal time in JFK!

JFK-LHR is such a short flight that I would only use UC using miles unles the upgrade from PE was ridiculously inexpensive.

Lauren and I missed you at SDCC; we were there for the full four days, and couldn't find anything vaguely spacedogish on the convention floor.

We had a, truly, awesome time and, despite having taken out one and a half suitcases (we were on the West coast for a month) packed with tea and biscuits for housekeeping in the hotels, valets and concierges, we still had to purchase another suitcase to get everything back (lots of books and interesting toys).

The good news is that we have been invited back for a rerun, next year; the SDCC organisers, obviously, didn't spot our misbehaving!

NV and LAuren
Virgin Atlantic