This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939144 by JT862
16 Oct 2017, 21:57
I booked flights for next May MAN-MCO, but booked the return flight via ATL (connecting flight with Delta) as it was around £300-400 cheaper for 5 of us. At the time I read the Virgin website wrong and thought the time we'd have between flights in Atlanta would be 1 hr 38, whereas in fact that was the length of flight, and we've actually only got 1 hr 7 mins in ATL.
Since then I've been worrying whether it's enough time, given the time it takes to get off the plane, get to the next plane (is it far to walk?) and board before doors shut. Last week I rang up Virgin to ask their advice. The woman I spoke to was nice but not very helpful, when I asked what would happen if we missed the connection she actually said "you'd be buggered!" When I questioned her further she wouldn't say whether Virgin would arrange our overnight accommodation, just said it depended on the circumstances, but we would be put on the next available flight (following day).
Someone I know had a nightmare earlier this year with Virgin/Delta when their connection was late, missed flight to MAN. Don't know full details apart from Virgin have refused to pay for their overnight accommodation, lost luggage and customer service has been terrible.
I suffer from anxiety anyway and am now in complete panic about our flights next year. We have 3 kids, youngest will be almost 3, which makes flying more stressful to start with.
Anyone have experience of this connection? Is it usually on time?
What sort of price range would we be talking for us to change flights to earlier with Delta, or even swap to direct VA flight?
#939147 by MikeWings
17 Oct 2017, 10:09
In my experience that's ample time for a connecting flight through Atlanta, even allowing for changing terminals (which is through an underground train that runs every few minutes). Of course as you're starting your journey inside the States you don't have any worries with immigration and customer which is the greatest unknown.

This is all assuming that your first flight arrives on-time, or fairly close to it. Should you not make the connection because of a delayed flight then providing the ticket was booked as one then I believe the airline has a duty to you, but I've no experience of what that means in practice. I'm sure others on here will be able to offer more advice about that.

Whenever there's a connection involved there's always a chance it'll go wrong - don't let it spoil the build up to your holiday! If the worst happens and Delta/Virgin don't cover you (I find this unlikely) the cost of a hotel room/transfers etc is almost certainly going to be less than the change fee on all but the most flexible tickets.
#939159 by tontybear
17 Oct 2017, 14:57
The person you spoke to at VS is actually correct.

If the DL flight is late and you miss the connection to VS then it does depend on the reason for the cause of the delay as to whether they will provide a hotel or not.

It is not VSs responsibility to do anything for you as they didn't cause the delay. DL will also be responsible for rebooking your flight back home.

If it is due to weather then you are on your own for a hotel. If it an issue within the control of DL such as a mechanical issue then they will provide one. (check what your travel insurance will cover)

ATL is an excellent airport. Once airside (which you will be arroving from MCO) it is essentially one big terminal with train connecting all the different wings down the spine of the airport. It is well signposted an there are lots of screens listing departure gates.

On board your DL from MCO flight you can use DL wifi to find out what gate you will land at and which your VS will depart from and you can use this to help plan your route - you could always ask at MCO if they know the gates as well.

You won't have to do a Usain Bolt but equally you can't dawdle either (not easy with a toddler!).

As to the cost of changing the timing of the connection (or even flying drect MCO-MAN) you would really need to phone VS who you booked with to get them to price it up. It may not be cheap (given the £4-500 you quote for going via ATL rather than direct)

BUT there is one thing in your favour (really!). DL do regular schedule changes and should your connection from MCO time get shorter between now and next May then you have a chance to get onto an earlier flight from MCO-ATL for free.
#939161 by JT862
17 Oct 2017, 15:42
Thanks so much!
Do you think it would be worth getting to MCO earlier for the possibility of getting on an earlier flight if seats available, or is that something they wouldn't do without extra cost?