This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#938110 by gwamgwam
05 Sep 2017, 20:25
Hi

We did Las Vegas and Los Angeles with my wife and two daughters in August (flew upper Man - LAS both ways). Trip reports to follow. We've got the holiday bug and are now booking New York for 6 nights at Easter.

Can anyone recommend good hotels for families in New York? We've looked at Crowne Plaza Times Square which looks good for location and the fact it has an indoor pool if we fancy a swim. Any other recommendations around the same price range would be appreciated.

Thanks
#938135 by pjh
06 Sep 2017, 19:53
gwamgwam wrote:Hi

We did Las Vegas and Los Angeles with my wife and two daughters in August (flew upper Man - LAS both ways). Trip reports to follow. We've got the holiday bug and are now booking New York for 6 nights at Easter.

Can anyone recommend good hotels for families in New York? We've looked at Crowne Plaza Times Square which looks good for location and the fact it has an indoor pool if we fancy a swim. Any other recommendations around the same price range would be appreciated.

Thanks

Some (hopefully) clarifying questions...

1. What is the price range of the Crowne Plaza?
2. What is the age of the family? What is good for an 8 year old may be less good for a 16 year old..
3. What are you looking for in the family hotel - all in one room, the ability to have adjoining rooms?
4. What capacity do you have for walking ? Times Sq can get very busy and wearing after a while.
5. What do you like to so - shop? Visit museums? Explore historical sites?

NYC is a huge, vastly enjoyable beast with something for pretty much everyone.

Thanks

Paul
#938140 by gwamgwam
06 Sep 2017, 21:34
Price range is £250 to £300 per night.

We want a central location with plenty going on at night close to restaurants.

Our daughters are 11 and 13. They love shopping and we want to do the normal tourist type stuff.

An important part of the hotel is to have an indoor pool and a lounge/bar area suitable for us to have a drink before we go to bed. We wants a room with two double beds rather than adjoining.
#938150 by tontybear
07 Sep 2017, 01:51
There are very few NYC hotels that have pools. You can use e.g. expedia to do a search with that as one of your criteria.

Also, and I say this with some experience, there is really no need to look at a central = times square hotel. You'll likely find something more to your budnet / needs by extending that search area.

I once stayed at the Millenum one UN plazza which does have a pool (on something lke the 28th floor) but it's not really 'central' being on 1st and 44th
#938430 by mswadley
14 Sep 2017, 21:22
We love the Conrad. Stayed there three times.
Most are the rooms are suites, bedroom + living room and it's high end being a Conrad.
Prices often seem better than equivalent hotels uptown.
It's right by the new World trade centre, Battery Park & boat to Statue of Liberty.
Although not central we prefer this location and it's also closer to the HighLine, a must for New York. Have a great trip!!
#938434 by kayzers
15 Sep 2017, 00:04
I stayed at the Crowne Plaza three years ago and while it was nice, the location does get tiring and the hotel lacks personality in my opinion. I agree with other posters that you can get nicer for your money a little away from Times Square and still be well linked.

I had to live in NYC for a few months this year but while I was sorting my apartment I stayed at The Paul hotel. This is just off 29th between 5th and 6th and my room had an amazing view of the Empire Stare Building and a great rooftop bar. However I'm not sure if this would be suitable for a family.

Good luck, and if you have any questions about NYC itself let me know as I may be able to help.
#939209 by ColOrd
20 Oct 2017, 20:29
Millennium Hilton next to the WTC site is very good with a pool and theres the Westfield shopping centre and Century 21 next door, but bars and restaurnts weren't quite as plentiful but it is well connected being on the WTC site with easy access to plenty of subway lines.
#939210 by marshy11
20 Oct 2017, 22:15
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square - not really TS as "in amongst the lights and neon", but it was a great location. Superb restaurants nearby and huge comfy beds. We emailed in advance to ask for a decent room (special occasion) and got a double upgrade on checking in, along with a card and some personalised muffins.
#939211 by Kraken
20 Oct 2017, 22:53
Have stayed at both the Millennium Hilton & the Blakely. 2 very different hotels! The Hilton is slap-bang in the financial district right opposite the WTC site - consequently room rates can be a little cheaper on Fri+Sat nights when the business clientele are not in town. It also has an indoor pool too. It's also very well placed for access to many Subway lines, so you can get uptown to the more touristy areas with ease.

The Blakely is an old building, but very well located on W55th Street. It's within easy walking distance of Central Park, 5th Avenue, Times Square, Rockefeller Center etc. The only negative about the Blakely for us was the age of the building - it's old & the lifts are slow. The girlfriend said the room was noisy from traffic - I didn't hear any due to being partially deaf.

I would happily stay at either hotel again without hesitation. To be honest, when we stayed at the Blakely it was our first visit to NYC for years, so we wanted to be more centrally based to do all the normal touristy stuff. When we went back & stayed at the Millennium Hilton we wanted to explore the southern end of Manhattan & Brooklyn, so this hotel suited us fine.

If you like pizza, then walk over the Brooklyn bridge (if staying at the Hilton), then turn right and double back on yourself to go under the bridge. Grimaldi's is there on Front Street (just look for the queue!) - some of the best pizza we've ever had, in our opinion.
#939217 by markyl
21 Oct 2017, 16:48
Last time we stayed in NY with the kids we went to

https://www.newyorkerhotel.com/

Its Art Deco bordering on Twilight Zone !!

Very good location, request a room that looks out onto the Empire State, we liked the fact their larger rooms could take our party of five.
#939226 by pjh
22 Oct 2017, 16:46
markyl wrote:Last time we stayed in NY with the kids we went to

https://www.newyorkerhotel.com/

Its Art Deco bordering on Twilight Zone !!

Very good location, request a room that looks out onto the Empire State, we liked the fact their larger rooms could take our party of five.

We stayed there in 1997 or so. I recall it being more Twilight Zone than Art Deco. They had no record of a booking (not good when it was Marathon weekend and the hotel was full of French runners), the room they eventually gave us bore evidence of someone having been in and ripped the TV off the wall and some wag had set the alarm for 2.30 am to play a free form jazz station ("niiiice") at full volume. Powerful shower though...
Virgin Atlantic