This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#939789 by Splatt
22 Nov 2017, 10:05
I'm confused around Tier Points & if indeed they do roll for 12-13 months and hope you good souls will be able to help me out...

I'm currently Gold but know I won't have earned 1000TP this membership year ( the month of qualification plus further 12 months). My confusion stems from what happens to the TP that you earn during this year and are less than 12 months old - are they lost when the Gold status year ends? i.e. if I take an UC flight in month 12 of my Gold Year, are the associated TP lost at then end of my membership year?

I've spoken to VS who say yes, everything reverts to zero & so essentially the TP earned in month 12 will last less than a month however this seems to conflict with the VS website that states :

'to upgrade to our Gold tier you will need to earn 1,000 tier points in any Upgrade Cycle. Your Upgrade Cycle is calculated from the current date of the month to the 1st day of the same month in the previous year (i.e. any rolling minimum 12 month’s maximum 13 months).'

However it then states:

'For each Upgrade Cycle, Upgraded Fixed Membership Period and Fixed Membership Period, your Tier Points will reset to 0.

but goes on to say:

'When do my tier points expire? Your tier points last for the same 12-13 months. '

Maybe I'm being thick but this doesn't seem clear to me. Basically I may hold off booking UC for flights towards the end of my Gold year if the TP go down the drain, however if they don't then based on flights I plan to book I'll re-qualify for Gold just a couple of months after my current status expires. Thank you!
#939791 by SlimpyJones
22 Nov 2017, 10:54
The short answer to your question is no, if you don't manage to renew Gold you do not lose your TPs. What should happen is you'd drop down to Silver (or Red if you are at less than 400, though I've heard people get reduced to Silver regardless) and the TPs you have will be subject to the usual 12 month expiry. As in, they disappear one year after the flight.

So let's say the following happens.

You are at 800 TPs when you hit the end of your Gold year.
You then drop back down to Silver, still with 800 TPs.
You then take a flight in UC, earning 200 TPs.
You're now at 1000 TPs and boom, you have gone back up to Gold.
Your TPs then reset back to zero and your new Gold year begins.

Hope that makes sense :)