This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940129 by David
10 Dec 2017, 11:51
Probably not an easy question to answer, but looking for some local knowledge.

There are a few ex DUB fares appearing again, but you are unable to select a day before flight into LHR then a next day flight out of Gatwick.

They are giving an arrival time of 8.40am into LHR and a departure out of Gatwick of 1.00pm

If I used Addison Lee / Tristar as the transfer, is this doable ?

Is there a quieter day ?

thanks

David
#940130 by pjh
10 Dec 2017, 12:00
David wrote:Probably not an easy question to answer, but looking for some local knowledge.

There are a few ex DUB fares appearing again, but you are unable to select a day before flight into LHR then a next day flight out of Gatwick.

They are giving an arrival time of 8.40am into LHR and a departure out of Gatwick of 1.00pm

If I used Addison Lee / Tristar as the transfer, is this doable ?

Is there a quieter day ?

thanks

David

So allow an hour to get out of LHR takes you to 9:40. Supposed to be at Gatwick what, two hours before, so 11:00 am. Theoretical travel time between the two is forty five minutes, so in principle you have a margin of thirty five minutes. Would I trust all these pieces to fall into place - no delay in, no delay at passport, no delay at baggage and most importantly no delay on the M25. No I wouldn't.
#940131 by David
10 Dec 2017, 12:06
Paul, thanks for quick reply - I'd guess it might be a bit risky (bag drop at LGW closes 60 mins before but I'm guessing that could be gobbled up by traffic)

Back to the drawing board I think

thanks again

David
#940133 by Mrbadger
10 Dec 2017, 14:01
What flights are you trying to book ? As I'm on the market for west coast us next October

I suspect you might be able to do the first flight the day before but you would need to find the right flights/codes on itamatrix then call Virgin direct

I recently booked an unusual ex EU (mixed classes double open jaw) over the phone and it was pretty easy

Or using air Lingus for the first/last flight as suggested above which is much easier

Phil
#940134 by David
10 Dec 2017, 14:41
Vegascrazy wrote:Could you fly into LGW and avoid LHR entirely? My last ex DUB was ticketed by VS using Aer Lingus DUB-LGW then VS LGW-LAS. Worked perfectly :)

Hi Vegascrazy

Yes, there was an odd day with the option into LGW but that was priced at £3k compared to the LHR version at half that. :-O

It’s ticketed as DUB - LHR - LGW - MCO so wonder what would happen if you missed the VS flight :blush:

David
#940135 by David
10 Dec 2017, 14:47
Mrbadger wrote:What flights are you trying to book ? As I'm on the market for west coast us next October

I suspect you might be able to do the first flight the day before but you would need to find the right flights/codes on itamatrix then call Virgin direct

I recently booked an unusual ex EU (mixed classes double open jaw) over the phone and it was pretty easy

Or using air Lingus for the first/last flight as suggested above which is much easier

Phil

Hi Phil

It’s LGW - MCO with the DUB bit thrown in.

When I’ve booked in the past there was an option to do the DUB -LHR the day before so giving you plenty of time to get to LGW but not anymore.

To be honest, I was quite surprised to see the £1.5k fares again as they disappeared for a long time.

Might just have to be an EDI - JFK via LHR and then Delta down to MCO as they’ve got some great prices in Upper at the moment at around the £1.5 k Mark but then you’ve to add on a JFK - MCO flight which is around $500

Decisions decisions :D

Thanks

David
#940136 by FLYERZ
10 Dec 2017, 15:33
I have never tried travelling between LHR and LGW but, living close to LGW and having driven/taxied to LHR it tends to take us around 1hr to/from Heathrow and around 20mins to LGW from where we live (on the route). If you allow for traffic I think the worst we have had to/from heathrow is around 1hr 30 so I would assume 2hr journey, then factor in leaving LHR airport and checking in 2 hrs prior at LGW.
#940139 by Hev60
10 Dec 2017, 17:31
Well the M25 is well known to Londoners as a Motorway carpark!!

Travelling on that motorway is notoriously slow. Whether I am going to LHR or Gatwick, I always without fail stay overnight at the airport. Personally to travel between the two airports would mean stress taken to another level!

For info, I know its snowing, but my son has been stuck on the M25 for 3 hrs trying to get from Watford to Enfield (which is relatively a short travel distance).
#940143 by honey lamb
10 Dec 2017, 22:46
Mrbadger wrote:Or using air Lingus for the first/last flight as suggested above which is much easier

Phil

AER Lingus, please! :!:
#940147 by dickydotcom
11 Dec 2017, 09:03
I live about a hours drive from Gatwick and we always travel the day before.
As already mentioned the M25 is more often a car park than a motorway.
It is always chockablock in rush hour, but oddly can be stationary at any time of day.
Dick D
#940196 by Spill
13 Dec 2017, 21:16
We have done this a few times and the only way we would do it is to go the night before and do the transfer. That was much less stress. The transfer can be so unpredictable with traffic/accidents etc.
Virgin Atlantic