This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940160 by mattyp
12 Dec 2017, 20:43
Well, after many years of travelling in Y and the occasional PE treat as well as stockpiling my CC miles I have finally booked my first ever G to DXB next May!

I decided to fly UC on the outbound to make use of the Clubhouse (obviously!) and the flat bed as it’s a night fight, and PE on the way home. As it’s a day flight I figured that was the best way round to do it. Both flights are on the A330 at present.

My question is that I am flying alone (my 6 weekly trip to visit the OH who is working out there for a year). I’m 6ft 4 and wondered a) if I will fit into the suite comfortably and b) if there is any difference in space between the A G and K rows? Obviously all the suites are exactly the same but I just want to try and pick a seat where I may have less chance of getting my feet knocked during the night!

I’m currently in 1A, the only seats taken at present are 1G and 3A.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt
#940161 by marshy11
12 Dec 2017, 21:27
Well done on the first G. Whatever seat you sit in, you will love the fact you have a G.
#940163 by McCoy
12 Dec 2017, 22:43
A) you’ll fit just fine. You’ll find a comfortable position and you’ll love being able to be flat, compared with the torture of economy seating overnight...
Yes, you’ll wish you had a few more inches at your feet, and a few more inches at your elbows, and you’ll switch from your right to left side and back again... but it’s 10x better than economy. (And better than British airways business class)

B) window a or k is better than middle seat.
And there is a small difference in that because the seats are angled inwards, you can be facing someone else.. or a flat wall. Check your seat map to determine which. Facing the wall is a bit more private.
#940164 by mitchja
12 Dec 2017, 23:42
Well done on grabbing a G :)

Not sure about the brand new A330 config, but on the old config, the middle seats where slightly shorter in bed mode compared to the window seats. That applies to the A346 Upper Class config as well I believe.

The old A333 config will be gone by the time you fly in May all being well (there's 2 old config A333s left now). The zig-zag middle seats on those where horrible.

I always go for a window seat when flying Upper Class and I prefer the seats that faces another seats rather than a wall (but I'm probably in the minority there).
#940165 by stuart_f
13 Dec 2017, 01:45
If there's an option I'd agree with the previous posters and go for a window seat. There are no downsides with a window seat at all. The middle seat in the old config was, as mitchja points, out shorter and less suitable for 6' 4" than the window seats.

Even if the refit sorts out the "short bed" problem, the other issue with the middle seats is that there's no overhead air vents due to the missing luggage bins (and therefore missing plumbing for the appropriate vents). Without them you are at the mercy of the cabin temperature control - I'd rather be cold to sleep and the only way to make that happen is to take a window seat.

Enjoy your holiday, your plan seems sound!

Edit: I notice you have chosen row 1. I'd suggest that row 1 might be subject to extra toilet traffic or galley noise compared to other seats. If everything was equal and you were aiming to pick the perfect seat, I would go for something in the middle of the cabin - midway between the bar and either galley. Row 4 or 5 would be perfect.
#940167 by dickydotcom
13 Dec 2017, 09:06
We came back from Atlanta in March on an A330.
Despite booking window seats I was moved to an aisle. It worked out well because we could chat.
At a mere five foot eight I was able to touch the end of the flatbed if I stretched out.
I would definitely try and get a window as you are ever so slightly taller than me.
And well done on your first G.
Enjoy the trip.
Dick D
#940193 by mattyp
13 Dec 2017, 20:00
Many thanks for the advice all,

Personally I prefer a bit of privacy so will stick on the A side, but I do take the point about the toilet traffic. I’ve moved to 5A which should be perfect!

Flying UC is something which I could never justify the cost of, so being able to experience it for the price of a Y ticket will really be a one off treat.
From reading previous threads about the Clubhouse I’m really quite excited to try it all out.

Now to just keep watching that countdown clock for the next 5 months! :D

Matt
#940197 by marshy11
13 Dec 2017, 21:16
mattyp wrote:Many thanks for the advice all,

Personally I prefer a bit of privacy so will stick on the A side, but I do take the point about the toilet traffic. I’ve moved to 5A which should be perfect!

Flying UC is something which I could never justify the cost of, so being able to experience it for the price of a Y ticket will really be a one off treat.
From reading previous threads about the Clubhouse I’m really quite excited to try it all out.

Now to just keep watching that countdown clock for the next 5 months! :D

Matt

I don't want to put downer on things but this won't be a one-off. Once you've turned left you can't help yourself.
#940210 by dickydotcom
14 Dec 2017, 09:28
Ditto to what Marshy says.
I have done upper quite a few times on reward tickets or reward upgrade.
I could never justify paying full price.
Oops next year we are on our first full fare Upper. What happened there?
What happened was; we didn't have enough miles in the pot and no way were we turning left.

Dick D
Virgin Atlantic