This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940186 by shaneg17
13 Dec 2017, 19:22
Hi all

Wonder if you can help?

I was caught up in Brussels Monday due to the initial bad weather and ensuing chaos. What are my rights in relation to EU 261 - i know there seems to be an exclusion where weather is a factor.

My issue is the does this include the knock on effect of whether? My flight was shown as going on-time up until hours before schedule departure time, then it slowly crept out later and later and reasoning on BA app was 'due to late arriving aircraft'. When the flight was cancelled the reasoning was 'adverse weather' - clever ey.

Anyway we were bumped to a flight on Wednesday but having young kids at home that didnt work. BA systems were down in the terminal and when we got our time at the desk and explained our situation we were told 'make your own way home, document costs and BA will refund you' - i shelled out close to 1000 euros to get a hotel and eurostar the following days.

Am i goign to get stiffed here or decent chance of compensation / reimbursement?

Cheers

Shane
#940187 by pjh
13 Dec 2017, 19:28
This suggests you might have a chance, but I would have thought that the ATC clauses would likely be cited as factors. I know that at STN on Sunday and AMS on Monday both of these factors were in play.
#940201 by tontybear
13 Dec 2017, 22:17
I doubt you'd get any compensation as the cancellation as that was essentially caused by weather / ATC - the late arriving aircraft was caused by a combination of the weather and ATC restrictions.

You will get reimbursement of your hotel and other costs as part of the 'duty of care' provisions of EU261.

I'm in the same position as you as I was in AMS on Monday and my flight had a creeping delay before it was finally cancelled at around 3pm. Luckily I was still in central Amsterdam so found a quiet corner in my hotel to call BA - phone quickly answered on their Dutch line and reassurance about hotel etc costs given which is all I really wanted from them.

And returned yesterday (Tuesday) by train as the earliest rebooking was for today I'm just waiting for the credit card transactions to process so I can claim my exact costs plus the exchange fees.
#940205 by shaneg17
13 Dec 2017, 23:15
Thanks all

Im not really fussed about compensation...i'd just like BA to cough up for the hotel, eurostar etc. like their reps said they would in the terminal.

We had one rep tell us that 2 of the 5 flights from BRU to LHR would go and ours was one of them - this rang true with the BA App. We knew they'd cancelled 3 flights already but we thought as ours had survived the cull it would go.

We'd also heard chatter that the delays on Monday out of LHR were purely airline related...i believe Heathrow's twitter feed posted to that effect i.e. carriers were responsible for delay as aircraft were out of position or/or had not been de-iced.

Anyway as long as i get my money back for the out of pocket expenses i am good.