This is the main V-Flyer Forum for general discussion of everything related to flying with Virgin-branded travel companies.
#940264 by mjb
17 Dec 2017, 23:04
I returned from Orlando to Manchester last Monday morning on VS76. We checked in 4 cases in PE and only 3 have made it back so far. Does anyone have any experience of losing a case with Virgin or in Orlando? If so any thoughts on how likely it is I’ll see it again? Virgin say it’s very rare they ever go missing but it’s been a week now with no sign.
#940265 by Kraken
17 Dec 2017, 23:57
I've not had experience of any lost bags (thankfully) but I think I would tend to agree with VS that this must be a fairly rare occurrence. As the VS76 is a direct flight, even if the bags were checked in at Disney Springs or at MCO, they should all have been down the baggage system belt pretty close together. If the bags were in good condition with no loose straps to snag on the baggage system, there is no reason why they should not all have made the flight.

There is, of course, the TSA screening process. Whilst reports of alleged TSA theft seem to have dropped, it would be highly unusual for an entire bag to be nicked by a dishonest TSA employee - you would imagine they'd just be after the small high-value items that are easy to smuggle out of the workplace.

Even if the bag-tag got ripped off, the check-in staff peel off a secondary sticker from the tag [with the same barcode on] and stick it directly onto the bag. Possible that the main bag tag got ripped off? Yes. An awful lot less likely that both the main tag & secondary sticker got ripped off.

I hope the OP's missing bag turns up.
#940275 by mjb
19 Dec 2017, 09:35
Thank you Kraken.

I have had it confirmed that the case never made it onto the flight. Unfortunately it would seem communication between VS and Orlando Airport is almost non-existent with VS confirming they have not heard back from the airport for several days.

I agree that it would unusual for all labelling to be removed from the bag. I have had luggage missing from flights in the past and it has always turned up the following day.
#940276 by pjh
19 Dec 2017, 09:51
One of our cases didn't make it to Cuba on a trip to that island with VS. We were lucky in that the baggage handling company identified that that the item was still in the system at Gatwick and it was delivered to us on the next available flight.
#940279 by mitchja
19 Dec 2017, 12:42
It’s about time VS started using the same bag tracking system DL use as their system is really good and you can even see when the bag has been loaded onto the aircraft via their app.

It works when VS flight legs are included on DL PNR’s so I don’t think it would take much to add this facility to the VS app!

CD4E4469-E9B1-4DAC-87EE-7EF2757977D4.jpeg
CD4E4469-E9B1-4DAC-87EE-7EF2757977D4.jpeg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
#940280 by CHill710
19 Dec 2017, 14:52
That tracking on the DL app is great. Last year I flew MCO-JFK-LHR and at JFK looked to check my bag was following me to find that it had missed the flight in MCO (I think it fell off a cart looking at the case) and had flown to ATL. A quick twitter conversation with DL and my bag was hot transferred to a flight to LHR and arrived 30 mins after I arrived from JFK great service from DL via twitter and no worries knowing that my bag would appear on a different belt with the ATL flights bags.

Hope your bag turns up somewhere.
#940284 by Bretty
19 Dec 2017, 20:23
If the bag never left Orlando and the airport hasn’t communicated re finding the bag, then sadly, there’s a chance the labels were somehow removed or missing and the bag might well end up at a lost luggage resale outlet if not found after 21 days, which is when it becomes officially lost.

I’ve never had the worry of lost luggage, and for the last couple of years I’ve done my best to ensure that if luggage does go missing it can be found. Besides making sure there’s some contact details inside the bags I use a device called Trakdot in each case which sends me an email and text when it detects it’s located near an airport. I usually get a message when I arrive at departure airport and another at arrival, and the message will tell which airport it’s located at. In addition I use Reboundtags which are RFID microchipped and use NFC and link to the global baggage systems across all airports. If the bag goes missing airport staff or any other good natured person can notify me.
Virgin Atlantic